The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What do you like about people? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4581)

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien 04-01-2003 05:58 AM

What do you like about people?

Okay, well this is my first topic so my nerves are kind of...well...nervy...but anyway. I was just thinking and I thought
"Wouldn't it be nice to have a thread that cheered people up?" So I thought I would try it. Basically the idea is that you write down what you like about different Barrowdowns members. Don't write negative things though, the idea of this is to brighten someone's day if they are having a rough time!! Hopefully it will start some friendly discussions also. Barrow Wight, if you close this, could you please message me with the reasons so that I could avoid them in the future. All I intend with this thread is to make people happier! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] So...post away my chums....

Meela: I love your movie bloopers on Middle Earth Mayhem...in fact most of your posts make me giggle and I really enjoy reading them!!

Burrahobit: Wonderfully quick witted. Brilliant, just brilliant!

Okay, I'll let you carry on and I'll post more at a later date!!

Yours always,
~Naurwen

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Naurwen_of_Lothlorien ]

tifo_gcs 04-01-2003 07:10 AM

Davem and the Saucepan Man
I admire the way they structure and express their arguments. makes me wish I'd paid more attention in school

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: tifo_gcs ]

Beren87 04-01-2003 03:37 PM

Child of the Seventh Age: The quintessence of kindness.

lindil:Brilliant, yet human.

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]

Rimbaud 04-01-2003 03:44 PM

Random sample:

Legolas; factual and often very patient in explanation.

Undé: wit, in a time-span's worth of meanings.

Squatter: a flair for tone, and well-read to boot.

Ladies later.

Carlas 04-01-2003 04:17 PM

There are many people at the barrow-downs that I respect very much, too many actually [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Here are a few!

Lush-charming, witty, enjoyable posts, what guy couldn't help but fall head over heels in love with her! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Legolas-always great at helping and explaining things! Not to mention the barrow-downs hotshot (next to Rimbaud of course [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Carlas-the suck-up!

Bêthberry 04-01-2003 04:52 PM

The Downs abounds with wonderful people, great minds, fine writers. In no particular order, and just a few--

Estelyn Telcontar--gracious, patient, great aplomb, a hidden vein of humour, always thoughtful and intelligent; REB made Downs history for boldly going where we had not gone before.

Ulmo--a pulse-beat on the best evidences and most appropriate quotations--thoughtful work seriously respected

Birdland--wonderfully funny; makes me happy just reading her posts

Rimbaud--gentle and considerate--rarely sharp--witty and funny and urbane, discerning, astute, very bright, a superb writer who makes me think, to see newly and with delight, even out-toned

OneWhiteTree--clever wit always astutely aimed, not seen often enough

Squatter--passionate and compassionate, reads widely and thoughtfully, very articulate and very bright, an elegant writer always worth reading, full of honesty and integrity, no mean feat for a bitter, petty dwarf. Oh, and did I mention funny too?

Diamond--cracking funny

Mr. Underhill--a wit whose surface always bears a second look

Lush--teeming with wonderful ideas for threads which draw responses from the whole community, a feat much to be lauded.

Edit: typos do not become me.

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

burrahobbit 04-01-2003 04:53 PM

lindil is not human.

Bruce MacCulloch 04-01-2003 06:10 PM

... and Burra is not brilliant.

Lush 04-01-2003 06:29 PM

I'm done blushing now, thanks. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry: Is who I want to be when I grow up (whether I'll ever grow up is another matter entirely), erudite, intelligent, and not aversre to the occasional double entendre.
Estelyn: Bought me lunch! Besides that is kind, warm, understanding, and stern when she needs to be.
Marileangorifurnimalium: Needs to grace us more with her great sense of humour.
mark12_30: Is patient, thoughtful, and passionate. Writes great fan fic too.
Diamond18: Is an all-around babe.
burrahobbit: Stupendously good-looking, into monkey science, and knows more stuff about Tolkien than I do.
Mithadan: Polite, charming, and very mysterious. The Mysterious Mister Mithadan. Has a nice ring to it.
lindil: Very intelligent, but thankfully forgiving of my tripe.
Sharkû: Wows us with his knowledge of all things Tolkien. Has a sense of humour about soccer too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Squatter: Isn't too stupid, and is a bit funny at times, very rarely though... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Rimbaud: Is the fifth Beatle.
The Barrow-Wight: Just did a little insignificant favour to us all by starting this site, and working hard on it. Is also stupendously good-looking.
Carlas: Knows how to pay a lady a compliment.

More later. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Scott 04-01-2003 09:54 PM

Bill Ferny-He's from Ohio, what more can I say. He's also very open minded.
Squatter of Amon Rudh-Anyone who homesteads on Middle Earth deserves props!
Talon Stormcrow-I'm grateful for anyone who will stomach my poetry.

Diamond18 04-01-2003 10:03 PM

Ah, thanks Lush and Beth. http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/acclaim.gif (Seriously though, yer too nice).

So...an incomplete list, in no particular order...

How Do I Love Thee All? Let Me Count the Ways

Estelyn Telcontar: The patience of a saint, kind and intelligent, not to mention wonderfully witty. Merisuwyniel all the way. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh: I don't see how anyone can not like him, to put it simply. Intelligent, polite, modest, and extremely funny. He makes me laugh out loud time and again.

Bethberry: A wonderful wordsmith, whose amazing alliteration is always awesome. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lush: A real all around babe, whose pithy wit is always fun to read. She's said some things perfectly in a single sentence, which I would have taken paragraphs to get around to. (Spared me the trouble...all right!)

Mithadan: Who knew a mysterious moderator could be so funny?

Kalimac: Another funny one, they're all over the place! I love her comedy, but she's also a really nice person, who can hit the nail on the head.

HerenIstarion: He's just cute. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Bill Ferny: He's too intelligent for that name, always something worthwhile to say. Knows how to take a good apple joke, too.

Child of the 7th Age: Always has impressed me with her posts, even when she was explaining to me why I was totally wrong. (One of my first BD memories [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Well, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of people in one of my patented mental lapses, but I'll end with:

The Barrow-Wight: Who knew the Myseterious Mod Man would turn out to be the Hilarious Man of Grundor? How I laugh...

And so here's something from all us suck-ups to you, B-W:
http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/ultimateboard.gif

Manardariel 04-02-2003 09:28 AM

Welcome Naurwen!
Now. Lets see.....

Child of the Seventh Age. Very nice, and I loved Cami!

Esty - I think I´ve said this before, but I sort of admire your patience with them
Newbies (like me when I was one)

Beren87- Well. What can I say my dearest Beren? You frustrate me, everytime I think I have a *hard* qoute, you have it five monutes, but still.. admireable, and such a nice guy!

More later! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hirilaelin 04-02-2003 05:02 PM

Hmmm...

Amanaduial - Just an all around great person. *huggles*

piosenniel - Ever so helpful, always ready to advise.

Estelyn - The essense of patience! What more can I say?

Lush - Ah, our darling Lush! Ouick wit, sharp tongue, fun posts... It's hard not to love her.

Evinyatar - First, a big thank you for Holiday in the Sun goes to you, you've made my first RP really wonderful. And your fight scenes are fun to read. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

More to come...

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-02-2003 05:51 PM

Rynoah- So funny!

Carlas 04-02-2003 07:33 PM

What can I say, I love you all! Your all smart and funny and witty! You guys have taught me so much! Thumbs up!

The Barrow-Wight-made this great site and organises it brilliantly! Not to mention is pretty cute!(and how much older is he...uh, how much younger am I than him? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

Pio-pleasant, smart, and great at taking care of fights at the inn!

The Saucepan Man-Great posts! Brilliant arguements! Makes us all realise how dumb we really are!

Diamond18-Smart, funny, the best icons in creation!

Cuthalion 04-02-2003 11:01 PM

Greetings, all!

Here are just a few...

Daniel Telcontar: A terrific RPGer and a good friend.

Vanima: What can I say? She's incredibly warm and caring, a real sweetheart.

Rimbaud: I would give both arms to write as well as he does....uh, no..wait. That would kinda defeat the purpose.

And last on this list, but first in my heart, Maikadilwen: The most interestingly mysterious lady on this forum. Quick of wit,scathingly funny, her tongue can be as gentle as it is ascerbic. *kisses her hand*

My thanks to whomsoever it was that created the Downs. Kudos for a magnificent job!

Silmarien 04-02-2003 11:52 PM

galadrieloftheolden- no particular reason she is just thoughtful, funny and a whole lot of other stuff.

Hooray I'm a wight [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Orual 04-03-2003 02:37 PM

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien, because you're obviously a sweetheart for creating this thread. (c:

Nurumaiel because...she's Nurumaiel! A grand RPG'er, patient, and willing to help, and who didn't love The Hobbit's Gift?

Child of the Seventh Age, beause she's a great writer and an inspiration, knowledgeable, and just a nice person.

Piosenniel, because she helped me so much when I started RPG'ing.

Evinyatar, for his brilliant work on Holiday in the Sun. Go E!

Carlas, for being patient with me...

I'm forgetting a lot of people. I'll most likely be back.

~*~Orual~*~

Carlas 04-03-2003 03:44 PM

Orual-for trying to make a smiley face, but making one with a large nose--> (c: [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]you should copy right that! (c:©

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien 04-03-2003 04:17 PM

Orual: Thank you for that wonderful compliment! I blushed so much I think my cheeks started to glow in the dark...hmmm...perhaps I have discovered a new medical condition... :-P

Thank you all for posting, I was a little nervous, I must admit! Please keep on posting! You never know, you might brightens somebody's day :-)

Everyone Who Posted: For posting of course!!

Yours always
~Naurwen

Orual 04-03-2003 06:30 PM

Carlas, here's a large nose: (C:

It's my friend's, actually. She doesn't use emoticons on IM, she makes her faces like (c: and (c; and )c: and sometimes )c': if she's really sad. So it's really © Orual's friend whose LotR website is right here: Eldamar

I forgot Diamond18, for being so funny...and Beren87, for being way too smart...and The Saucepan Man, for having a cool name and cool avatars. Like the little-clicky-ball-thing. (Somebody said what it was called, but I forgot.)

~*~Orual~*~

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-03-2003 06:40 PM

Silmarien- for complimenting me so nicely. I was blushing so hard that when I looked into a mirror, I thought I was sick for a second. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:

galadrieloftheolden- no particular reason she is just thoughtful, funny and a whole lot of other stuff.
Same to you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 04-04-2003 10:57 AM

oh gosh, my head is swelling with all my no-existant nominations! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Airehiriel for being funny [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 04-06-2003 09:18 AM

Thanks for the accolades, folks: they make your exquisite taste obvious. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Strangely enough, and all joking aside, those who've said nice things about me are the very wights I most like. Here are some nice comments about them and others, most of them echoes of what's already been said. They're in no particular order:

The Barrow-Wight: Without his tireless effort and personal expenditure this forum simply wouldn't exist. His tireless efforts to add new and interesting features, and his inclusion of others in that process have made this easily the best Tolkien site I've ever seen. As if that weren't enough, he's also a lot of fun and shares with us interesting and well-expressed opinions. An all-round good egg.

Rimbaud: The superpiscine punmaster general. Quick-witted and blessed with a social conscience to boot. His return to the United Kingdom ought to be declared a national holiday.

Estelyn: Along with the aforementioned radical instrumental in bringing about my continued presence in the chat rooms. She helps with my German, offers encouraging comments and has found the time amid keeping Books and Movies tidy to come up with an excellent RPG. Laudate Telcontaria!

Bethberry: Brings a welcome note of formal scholarship to literary discussions and has even seen fit to praise my own writing. For that alone she deserves a place in my list of top 10 Downers. Otherwise a lot of fun to talk to and mistress of the 1960s pop-music allusion.

Lush: What is there not to like about the bête noir of po-faced morality? Witty, self-deprecating and refreshingly open; not to mention her rather flattering public proposal. Yes, I am really that shallow. Did I mention that she's nice to look at too?

Underhill: The only criticism I could offer is that I don't see him often enough. Always entertaining, often profound and co-inventor of the Travest-o-meter(TM). I understand that he's currently working on a better safety shut-off system for checking my Entish Bow posts.

Marileangorifurnimaluim: Another entry in the "Wish you were here" list. Consistently witty and with easily the most complicated name on the forum. Hurry back to us, Maril.

Sharkû: He appears to know more about English than I do, which is galling since he isn't a native speaker. His contributions are backed up with a great weight of knowledge and he invariably leaves me with only rather weak agreement to offer. So much for my alleged articulation.

burrahobbit: Says in a word what takes others a whole paragraph. I reward his economy with brevity.

Legolas: As has been said above, he can always lay his hands on quite the mot juste from Tolkien's writings. Like those mentioned above he has every cause to be big-headed, but isn't.

Diamond 18: A gem. Her style, wit and command of language belie her relatively scant years. Plus she too has said nice things about me and flattery appeals to me a great deal.

There are many others, but I promised myself that I wouldn't spend all day on this post. Worthy of note, but without a mention above are, again in no particular order, lindil, obloquy, Bill Ferny, Child of the Seventh Age, Kalessin... Let's just say I like all of you. This site is full of great people.

kymmi666 04-06-2003 10:37 AM

i hate everyone.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

hope that brightened your day.

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-06-2003 01:28 PM

Yes, really, it did, thanks. I would post more people, but I think that uiwte a few of them have been said already. Oh well.

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-06-2003 01:29 PM

I meant quite.

VanimaEdhel 04-06-2003 03:18 PM

Quote:

Vanima: What can I say? She's incredibly warm and caring, a real sweetheart.
Thank you! After having an annoying argument in the Chat with someone, that actually did cheer me up quite a bit.

Maikadilwen: Even when you aren't having the best day, you are the best at cheering others up!

Cuthalion: You do everything for me, from just talking to me and treating me like a Lady to finding a character for me to play when I ask to join your RPG.

Gandalf_TheGrey: You really support me. And thank you for letting me just talk about general topics like you do in the Chat.

Any Mod that I've Had Contact With: You are all so patient, both those on here and in the Chat. I realize that some people, including me, have not been all that easy to deal with, but I try my best to make your life easier.

dragoneyes, Gorwingel, and all those I have continuing PM conversations with: You guys are really great to talk to. I tell you guys more than I tell people in my real life.

red and TheXPhial: You guys put up with me when I probably don't deserve it, especially in the Chat. I thank you for that.

Lyra Greenleaf 04-06-2003 04:07 PM

Can I be founding member of the Manardariel fanclub? She's great RPGer and game owner, posts on what seems like every thread in every board, really nice, and (I hope this doesn't sound patronising) she's from Germany but has better English than me!

The Evenstar 04-07-2003 10:25 AM

I'd have to say:

GaladrieloftheOlden – for posting intelligent posts and for her thoughtfulness and intelligence.

The Barrow-Wight – obviously for making this site possible and for answering my question so patiently and professionally.

Estelyn: For being so patient, kind – just a professional moderator, patching up flaws when needed.

Niluial: For being a good friend of mine on Barrow-downs and for her outgoingness and humor.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh: A word-artist, if you ask me. Such an intelligent, thoughtful person. Thanks!

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie – For his friendliness and interest in my posts.

Generally Everyone On Barrow-Downs! – for being tolerant with Newcomers, humorous, intelligent and kind. Thank you for making Barrow-downs a pleasant place!

VanimaEdhel 04-07-2003 10:31 AM

Everyone who posts here: for taking time out to think of good things to say - sometimes people just don't "have time" to be nice to each other these days, it seems.

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-07-2003 10:38 AM

Quote:

GaladrieloftheOlden – for posting intelligent posts and for her thoughtfulness and intelligence.
Yay! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm sick and I come onto the Downs and see that- that was nice! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I'd have to also say Niluial- really nice, good RPGer, and interesting PMer conversationer person. Right. That sentence looks like it's been edited by a 6 year old. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Manardariel 04-07-2003 10:43 AM

OOHHH Thanks Lyra!! You´re cool too (does this sound pathetic?), and I simply love Elenna and Mara.

GaladrieloftheOlden 04-07-2003 10:52 AM

I also like the Squatter's lenghthy responses. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And I like the guy who be short. And Pennthang...okay, I don't remember the whole name. I'll settle for Penn. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]

Balin999 04-07-2003 11:52 AM

Hm I have to admit that I don't know many Barrowdowners by name because I mostly read only their messages.
The ones that I do like most, though, are
burrahobbit, for being a member of the downs as long as I am
Sharkû and The Barrow-Wight for their efforts,
Diamond18for being just really nice [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
and also Estelyn for always being so polite and nice to me when we meet in the chat or in the forum.

That doesn't mean that I don't like the other people. The above mentioned are only the ones who come to my mind right now. I think that everyone who tries to keep the Barrow Downs such a great place as they are has deserved to be mentioned here.
The Barrow Downs are my online-home. I thank you all for making the B.Ds so interesting and addictive.
Greetings, Balin999

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: Balin999 ]

Lyra Greenleaf 04-07-2003 12:34 PM

Quote:

I simply love Elenna and Mara
well, it took me a while to work that out... I'm kind of thick today. Thank you very much! (But it's Elena, one 'n')

Lush 04-12-2003 01:43 PM

The Saucepan Man: Best avatars, best Legolas jokes, intelligence, and a warm disposition.

Bill Ferny: Erudite, but not lacking in the humour department either. Always willing to make fun of English majors. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tar-Palantir: Fun, thoughtful, very considerate of others, great posts, and has a bit of a wild side.

Heren Istarion: The essence of post-Soviet era cool, not unlike myself. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also, very well-read.

Sophia the Thunder Mistress 04-12-2003 02:05 PM

The people I especially appreciate:

Bill Ferny- buried in all the intelligent comments there's almost always some appreciable humor, and occasionally a plug for philosophy, what more can I say?

Beren87 the superhero of the quiz room? His questions almost always send me scurrying for some book or other. Annunfuiniel (I hope I spelled that right?) for the same.

Maikafanawen I spend too much time in the RPG rooms as it is, but reading her posts definately keeps me coming back.

All the Lonley Star People the reason I started spending way too much time in the RPG rooms [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Stories I barely bother too aspire to.

andThe Saucepan Man For the MonaLisa scowling. Where does he get those pictures?

Sophia

[ April 12, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]

Ithaeliel 04-12-2003 04:50 PM

Lush: Because she's the One and Only Lush and she's incredibly witty. I can't help but idolize her (mostly)!

Saucepan Man: For being a sweet and friendly guy, for his picture with his kids, and for all the totally essential gadgets he uses as avatars.

Bethberry: For helping me with my game owner duties, correcting me, and being so patient and polite.

Birdland: For her endlessly fun and colorful personality.

Squatter of Amon Rudh: For his insightful mind and wonderfully touching experiences.

Gandalf_the_Grey: For his hilarious stories and his regal personage.

Diamond18: For her sunny wit, and for seeming like a longtime friend (though it really hasn't been so long!)

Amanaduial the Archer: For her Kidnapped! RPG, and for being a sweet and cool girl with a strong will.

Aylwen Dreamsong: For being a happy, patient and understanding individual who I can relate to when it comes to the frustrations of school!

Brinniel: For being a good friend here and in real life.

GaladrielofheOlden: I don't see you too much, but you're a sweetie and a thoughtful person from what I have seen!

Doug*platypus: For his huggable avatar and screenname, and for his awesome RPG characters and charming wit. I miss you, Douggie!

VaminaEdhel: For being a very kind and admirable person with a good mind.

Child of the 7th Age: For a beautiful and yet human personality.

Beren87: For being a funny dude with a common interest and the coolest animated avatars!

Burra: For his one-liner posts.

Samwise: For her cheery and welcoming ways!

Rimbaud: The perilous poet; with an elusive wit and a way with words, his name is fitting.

Estelyn Telcontar: For astounding moderation skills, and for being the Princess Fiona.

Mattius: For brightening my day when it's been bad and for being an awesome RPer in the Blue Mountains and onward!

Auriel Haevasawen: For being a sweet lady even when nobody knew who I was and for being a great writer and partner in all them RPGs (remember the "Calling All Elves pt 1 and 2?" Those were the days...)

The Barrow-wight: What else? For making this all possible. None of these people would be here without you, and I would be much less informed and inspired were it not for the Barrow-downs. Thank you.

I have so many more I would like to add, but it would take me days! I love you all!

Ithaeliel

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]

Annunfuiniel 04-13-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Beren87 the superhero of the quiz room? His questions almost always send me scurrying for some book or other. Annunfuiniel (I hope I spelled that right?) for the same.
I'm speechless... That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! Thank you Sophia for brightening up my day! And I praise you for the same qualities you addressed to me: you're quite a wizard in the Quiz room. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
(oh, and yes, the spelling is perfect! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

And all BD'ers, those mentioned earlier on this thread as well as those who not yet have been named: I love you all!
Though I must quote Bilbo's speech and say "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like(...)" I still feel that anyone who's an active member of this greatest of all Tolkien sites has earned my respect. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 13, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]