The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Jackson the Thief? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19401)

Inziladun 06-02-2020 09:14 AM

Jackson the Thief?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

I don't know if this has ever been discussed with PJ, but his LOTR films (the first two, anyway) seem to have borrowed quite a bit from Ralph Bakshi's 1978 movie covering 1 1/2 of the books. Many cameras angles and scene setups look very similar.

A side-by-side comparison.

Estelyn Telcontar 06-02-2020 10:34 AM

The scene with the Black Riders attacking the hobbits' room in the Prancing Pony was a very obvious one that I noticed the first time I saw Jackson's film! Definitely a quote...

Morthoron 06-02-2020 11:10 AM

Tricksy Jacksonses. We hates it forever!

Thinlómien 06-05-2020 03:31 PM

Thanks for linking the video, actually made me feel very nostalgic about both (series of) films! :D The Bakshi film is ridiculous at times, but some of the visuals are very powerful.

I would ask though, how do you draw the line between plagiarism, deliberate homage/ intertextual reference, and simply something leaving such an impression on your imagination that you (possibly subconsciously) echo it in your own work?

Personally, I don't hold most of the parallels against Jackson&co (especially as some of these were a bit of a reach - there's a limited way of sensible options how to show say Gandalf arriving on a cart to Bag End), but a few are a bit jarringly similar, such as the hiding from the Black Rider under the roots of the tree. The Bakshi version manages to be much creepier, too!

Boromir88 06-08-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 726352)
Personally, I don't hold most of the parallels against Jackson&co (especially as some of these were a bit of a reach - there's a limited way of sensible options how to show say Gandalf arriving on a cart to Bag End), but a few are a bit jarringly similar, such as the hiding from the Black Rider under the roots of the tree. The Bakshi version manages to be much creepier, too!

I believe there's a special mention in the EE director's commentaries, when Jackson makes specific mention of liking that scene from Bakshi's cartoon.

Huinesoron 06-09-2020 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boromir88 (Post 726642)
I believe there's a special mention in the EE director's commentaries, when Jackson makes specific mention of liking that scene from Bakshi's cartoon.

I think I remember similar mentions (though I don't believe I ever listened to the commentaries), with both the tree root scene and the Riders stabbing the beds scene called out as deliberate homages.

I watched the start of the video, and wasn't all that impressed by the 'similarities' between the introductions. There was one shot (the Ring falling underwater, I think) which could have been a homage, and I guess putting it in as an intro at all could count, but other than that the shots were very different.

hS