The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   First Annual Barrow-Downs Awards (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5259)

Lord of Angmar 08-07-2003 12:53 PM

First Annual Barrow-Downs Awards

Bear with me here, as I am not sure if this is a duplicate thread (I found no similar topics using the "Search" function), and I don't know if this is proper subject matter for a post in this forum. I would like to receive nominations from fellow Barrow Downers for other Downers whom they feel are deserving of ownership of a particular title.

Think of it as an "award show" [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The categories are:

Most Knowledgeable* Downer

Most Insightful** Downer

Downer with Best Sense of Humor

Most Feared Downer (I think many of us know who this would be)

Best New Corpse (that is, the most intelligent and insightful Downer to have registered within the last 2-3 months)

Best Thread in "The Books"***

Best Thread in "The Movies"***

Best Thread in "Middle Earth Mirth"***

Again, I'm not sure if this has been done before (or if anyone is interested in participating [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ). Please don't rip my head off if this turns out to be a duplicate thread (I did use the search, and browsed manually). Just send me your votes, and I shall tally them up! Any extra insight about the people you nominate will be welcome! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Please don't nominate yourself, if your big egos can help it! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers!
-Angmar

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

*Most knowledgeable about factual information concerning Middle Earth and Professor Tolkien

**Most insightful about the philosophical and/or debatable aspects of Professor Tolkien's world.

***For these categories, send the name of the thread and the name of the member who started the thread

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

[ August 07, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]

[ August 07, 2003: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]

ElenCala Isil 08-07-2003 02:02 PM

what about most likely not to be nominated? I think I would win that... >.< I'm not sure who to nominate.. there's too many great ringies out there.. soo, to honour all those who should be nominated (which I won't bother to list as it would take a life age or longer) I have a nice surprise for you:
*Hits all those who should be nominated on the head with a squeaky hammer*

Duncariel 08-07-2003 02:08 PM

Hmmm...

I'd like to nominate Meela for most feared Downer, for reasons that we all know.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 08-07-2003 04:07 PM

I'll nominate burrahobbit for most feared downer, because three word sentences really scare people who aren't used to it.

Meela 08-07-2003 04:15 PM

Thank you! I'm flattered that you fear me that much.

Sapphire_Flame 08-07-2003 08:18 PM

I nominate dancing spawn of ungoliant for Best New Corpse. And I nominate The Barrow-Wight for the Most Feared Downer (honestly, you seriously don't want to get him on your bad side. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )

And, of course, Beren87 needs to be nominated for Most Knowledgeable Downer. All people who frequent the Quiz Room and the Quotable Quotes forums will no doubt agree...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

Oddwen 08-07-2003 08:23 PM

I'd like to nominate in the Middle-earth Mirth category:

"New Movie Script" started by mordor136 #748

And I don't know if it's still available since it's closed, but
"Make Your Own Crazy Scene With Pics!" by Airehiriel #5228

Most Feared Downer
The Barrow Wight

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien 08-07-2003 08:36 PM

Me nominates Meela as Downer with best sense of humour!!!

Meela has me on the floor, crying with laughter all too often.

polices 08-07-2003 09:40 PM

I nomonatie Meela for best sense of humor and most feared downer.

I think you should add best all around Downer too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Diamond18 08-07-2003 09:51 PM

This isn't quite the same thing, but you might find it interesting [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Downie Awards

Hmmmm... I think Estelyn Telcontar deserves the Downer with the Best Sense of Humor award. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Everdawn 08-08-2003 02:29 AM

Quote:

I'd like to nominate Meela for most feared Downer, for reasons that we all know.

For the love of Denethor is a strange thing.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 08-08-2003 06:56 AM

When I was new I used to be quite scared of Rimbaud. Burrahobbit's just a *****cat once you get used to him!

dancing spawn of ungoliant 08-08-2003 07:19 AM

Oh, thank You Sapphire_Flame, I'm totally speechless(for once...).It's wonderful to be dead!
I have to go to the streets to scream...I'll vote when I come back. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lord of Angmar 08-08-2003 10:54 AM

I would like to put forth my own nominations [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Most Knowledgeable: Gwaihir the Windlord, The Saucepan Man

Most Insightful: Mithadan

Most Feared: burrahobbit!!!

Best Sense of Humor: I have to give this one to Meela. She is insane!
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Best new corpse: I am unqualified to judge, as I am relatively new here myself

Diamond18 08-08-2003 11:02 AM

burra, scary??? Puh-leeze. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I say it's Sharkû. He's got close-thread capabilities and he knows how to use 'em (not to say he's the only one, but he has a scary name. So there.)

Luthien_ Tinuviel 08-08-2003 11:12 AM

I'll second the "Make Your Own Crazy Scene with Pics" thread, created by Airehiriel herself. And actually, Diamond, it was a close run in my mind between burra and Sharku, so now I'm undecided. Let's see.... change vote?

Tinuviel of Denton 08-08-2003 11:28 AM

For most feared Downer, I would nominate The daughter of Gollum and Shelob. She is just creepy.

Best sense of humor? I'll have to go with the person who started "Make your own crazy scene..."

Most knowledgeable would be one of those people who makes these REALLY long posts in the Books. Maybe littlemanpoet, or Gwaihir the Windlord.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 08-08-2003 01:54 PM

I came back even though I promiced... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Most Knowledgeable (maybe):Gwaihir the Windlord, Finwe
Most Feared:The Barrow-Wight

I have to consider the other nominations.

Novnarwen 08-08-2003 02:46 PM

Quote:

Most Feared Downer:
Thenamir is absolutely the most FEARED downer...(Thenamir himself, tipped me off, though...heh)

Anyway, I am voting for that dude... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*hides*

Hmmmm....

*nova* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 08, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

Angmar 08-08-2003 02:47 PM

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thenamir is the most feared one of all.. I mean, look.

1) Old (scary!)
2) Grouchy (more scary!)
3) Not afraid to kick at random (Eep!)

What more do you need?

did I mention "old"?
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

al'Thingolfin 08-08-2003 02:50 PM

Most feared Downer: Thenamir. (He threatened with banning me from the chat if I didn't write this. ;) )

Tymezennith 08-08-2003 03:03 PM

I nominate Oddwen for best sense of humor.

She started the disco king stuff, and has a great siggy!

Oddwen 08-09-2003 11:30 AM

Thank you! *sniff*
For best all around Downer I would nominate
GaladrielOfTheOlden and Wolvaurinimir (sp?).

Tarien Ithil 08-09-2003 12:06 PM

GaladrieloftheOlden -Downer with the Best Sense of Humor

Yavanna228 - Best New Corpse (keep up the good work!)

I've got a lot more nominations so I'll be back soon!

Best,
Tarien

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Tarien Ithil ]

GaladrieloftheOlden 08-09-2003 02:23 PM

Oddwen and Tarien- thank you loads. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Best moderately new Downer- Yavanna228. Well, she's not that new, but when she was, she was never newbieish... *cuts herself off before she begins to ramble* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Swan song,
-Menelien

Finwe 08-09-2003 03:30 PM

Oh, I'm so touched, someone voted for me! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

For Best Sense of Humor, I'd definitely vote for Meela. (Of course, the fact that we're both pyromaniacs might have something to do with that [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] )

For Most Knowledgeable, I definitely can't compare to lindil, just check out the Revised Silmarillion sub-forum.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 08-09-2003 04:13 PM

I'll second the Oddwen nomination for best sense of humor. If we get two votes, my second in that category would probably go to Meela.

Elennar Starfire 08-09-2003 04:24 PM

Oddwen or Meela for best sense of humor, I can't decide!

Most feared: The Barrow-wight

Best new corpse: dancing spawn of ungoliant

*Varda* 08-10-2003 08:18 AM

Best sense of humour should go to all those who write in the Reunification of the Entish Bow. It has me in stitches.

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: *Varda* ]

Tarien Ithil 08-10-2003 09:50 AM

For me, the Most Feared Downer would be Sharku. I don't know. it's just the Hungry Goul title that gets to me...... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Arafangwen 08-10-2003 12:49 PM

Most Knowledgeable=The Saucepan Man

Downer with Best Sense of Humor=Meela!!!

Most Feared Downer=Sharku

peonydeepdelver 08-10-2003 02:56 PM

Most Knowledgeable Downer: Beren87 of course!
Downer with Best Sense of Humor: Oddwen. Was she not the one that started the Boromir the Disco King craze?
Most Feared Downer: Either the Barrow-Wight or Meela. Anyone who likes people such as Wormtongue is scary.
Best Thread in "The Movies": Uh... I guess the ROTK trailer one. I don't think I've ever seen so many ranges of emotions in one thread before. Kinda like a soap opera [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Best Thread in "Middle Earth Mirth": Make Your Own Crazy Scenes With Pics. I forget who started it though...

vanwalossien 08-10-2003 03:14 PM

Most knowledgeable Downer would be Beren87 or The Saucepan Man. I can't decide...
I might have missed something here, but am I the first to nominate Helkahothion for best sense of humor? Well, my sense of humor may be a bit, er, strange, but surely more people think Helka's funny?

Lord of Angmar 08-10-2003 03:17 PM

Based on what I have received so far, including posts and private messages, I have compiled a list of the current frontrunners.

Most Feared Downer: Close race between Sharku, burrahobbit and the Barrow Wight.

Most Knowledgeable: Gwaihir the Windlord is in the lead.

Best Sense of Humor: Meela and Oddwen. I have received several votes for Estelyn as well.

Best New Corpse: Dancing spawn of ungoliant, Yavanna228 are in the lead.

I don't think there will be a 'most insightful' award. Let's just stick to these categories.

Cheers!
-Angmar

the guy who be short 08-10-2003 03:24 PM

Most knowledgable - Littlemanpoet.
Most funny - Diamond18. You realy should get to know her, she scares me more than Meela.

Durelin 08-12-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

...am I the first to nominate Helkahothion for best sense of humor? Well, my sense of humor may be a bit, er, strange, but surely more people think Helka's funny?
Well, I'm sure plenty of people would nominate him (including myself) except that he is banned from the site, so...I figure he doesn't really count right now! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Besides, he'd probably just nominate me 'most feared', and then I wouldn't nominate him for SQUAT! (Can I say that? Squat?)

Lord of Angmar 08-12-2003 02:39 PM

Why is Helkahothion banned from the site?

arianrod 08-13-2003 11:04 AM

Most Feared Downer: burrahobbit. Because, as Luthien_Tinuviel has said, those '3 word sentences' are slightly disturbing.

Best sense of Humor: I agree for Oddwen, but I'd also like to put in a vote for Lush.

And in case you put it back into the awards,
Best thread in 'The Books': Boromir and the Ring by Morgoth Bauglir. Why? Because it has wonderful in-depth discussions and is about the almight Disco King, that's why. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: arianrod ]

peonydeepdelver 08-13-2003 01:46 PM

Quote:

Why is Helkahothion banned from the site?
*wonders the same thing* [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Sapphire_Flame 08-14-2003 12:59 PM

Yeah, I'll also vote for Oddwen for best sense of humor. DO THE WAVE! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Best Thread in the Movies would definitely go to "It's Here! Return of the Kings Trailer", started by HCIsland. Many "kudos" for finding the trailer; I was afraid I'd have to wait until the end of August to see any of RotK!

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

EDIT: I think Helka was banned for linking to his blog, which the BW didn't think was appropriate to be accesable from the Downs. Don't you see why BW is the Most Feared? Tick him off and you're
gone.

[ August 14, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]