The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "Borrowed" avatars (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4532)

LePetitChoux 02-10-2003 03:16 PM

"Borrowed" avatars

I was wondering, is it OK for two members to have the same avatar? Because I don't know if my new Kermit picture would be "borrowng" Rimbaud's "Kermitness", as I believe I am right in saying that Rimbaud is the "Kermit" member. On a Tolkien site, it may be expected that several members have say, Aragorn as their picture, but not so trivial avatars, are they "personalised"?
I've been struggling with my conscience for ages now, and I'd greatly appreciate everyone's views on avatar hire.
~LePetitChoux [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Diamond18 02-10-2003 03:20 PM

Well, Rim doesn't even have a frog as an avatar right now, so I'd say you're safe. *shrugs* I'd think it all depends on the person you're borrowing the avatar or avatar theme from, whether he/she cares or not. As to having the exact same one at the same time, that might confuse the rest of us. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

burrahobbit 02-10-2003 04:23 PM

Just don't use the same picture. One time somebody used my sun. I made that sun. I was mad. Somebody could use a different picture of a sun and I wouldn't care, even if it was a smiling sun with the same colors.

onewhitetree 02-10-2003 04:27 PM

Anyone can use my avatar, as it is an homage to me.

Orual 02-10-2003 05:34 PM

I think that unless you *really*, *really* like the other person's avatar, it's a better idea not to duplicate, simply because on some subconscious level everybody associates the person with the avatar. Sometimes I don't even look at the name, just at the avatar--"oh, it's Daffy Duck, that's Diamond." (By the way, I think you've permanently scarred me by changing your pic, Diamond. Thanks. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

I mean, I don't think that there's necessarily any "ownership rights" attached to avatars--unless, like burrahobbit, you created your avatar--but I think for the sake of not confusing other members it's a better idea to go original or not go at all.

~*~Orual, whose own avatar is busted right now~*~

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-10-2003 06:05 PM

Anyone can use Sir Cosmo, whom I recruited from another site with my own two hands.

However, that could mean that people will think that you're me, which might damage your readership. Also consider the social awkwardness of being confused with a member of the 1908 Olympic fencing team. 'Tis not a consummation devoutly to be wished, I can tell you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Kuruharan 02-10-2003 09:07 PM

You know Squatter, (and this is a rather embarrassing admission), but for a long time I thought that your avatar was a picture of General Erich von Falkenhayn. I didn't think that could be right, but one never knows.

I will now silently and with dignity suffer the justly earned hoots and jeers for my ignorance. :o

EDIT: Oh the mortification! Missed an egregious spelling error during my proofreading as well! This has just not been my day. :eek:

Gorwingel 02-10-2003 09:54 PM

I think it is ok to have the same avatar, but I would stil like people to be as creative as they can. But yeah when to people have the exact same avatar I do kind of get confused.

Diamond18 02-10-2003 10:18 PM

Quote:

(By the way, I think you've permanently scarred me by changing your pic, Diamond. Thanks. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )
Oh, great, now I have GUILT! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I may bring him back after a time. I just felt like something new, to shake things up a bit, you know. And if I may say so, it is a rather "shocking" avatar. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bruce MacCulloch 02-10-2003 10:23 PM

I don't see a problem with shared avatars. However, I still have yet to see anyone else with as great a sense of style and tastefulness as I. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Gandalf_theGrey 02-10-2003 10:41 PM

Oh my, Diamond 18!

I love your new avatar and am tempted to um, "borrow" it myself! As coincidence would have it, I was walking around the lake through the snow this very night musing about whether this would be the year I change my Native American name to "Kayekyonyo" ... Iroquois for "Lightning Strikes All Around." I'm not known for "fire, smoke and lights" for nothing! Had a couple close calls this past year alone (in fact, earlier this past summer, my laptop computer at work was struck by lightning when I struck the ENTER key!)

Again, cool lightning avatar you have there, Diamond! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]

Diamond18 02-10-2003 11:03 PM

I'm glad you like it, but aren't you obligated to keep your Gandalf headshot? Must stay in character, you know. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

My, my, the laptop experience sounds like a once in lifetime event. Must have made you feel powerful, controlling nature with the press of a button... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

doug*platypus 02-11-2003 05:14 AM

burrahobbit's story sounds a bit frustrating, but I don't think that anyone except Jim Henson could really complain about you using Kermit.
Quote:

1908 Olympic fencing team.
There is no word to describe how funny that is. Not even ROFL.

Bêthberry 02-11-2003 06:31 AM

I think Squatter and Kate and Orual touch on the important issue about avatars, that for some or perhaps many, the avatar is chosen and used very carefully and consciously as part of the creation of a nick identity or personality. It is a unique, original act of imagination. And to appropriate the avatar is to appropriate that identity, like a second-rate hack writer, almost.

I know I was quite taken-aback when I saw someone else use burrahobbit's sun, because to me that avatar is burrahobbit, just as Birdie's is Birdland and pio's is piosennial.

And while avatars do come and go, I think it would be a matter of civil decorum to respect those acts of creation.

I mean, after all, who would really want to ride on Rimbaud's coattails? Or Bruce's? Or HeronIsterion's? Or Estelyn Telcontar's? Blah.

Bethberry

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

LePetitChoux 02-11-2003 07:46 AM

I am being almost convinced to change it, but the thing that would clinch it for me would be Rimbaud's own opinion... [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Rimbaud 02-11-2003 09:05 AM

The image is not mine, I have no claim over it. It's purely a question of personal aesthetic. Although I may be forced to slap you around with a large trout.

Gilthalion 02-11-2003 09:43 AM

I suppose I can only say that I subcreated my avatar from a scan of (I think) one of Christopher Tolkien's maps, using MS Paintbrush and one of the shareware GIF animators. Previous avatars, the oldsters will remember: The Floating Head & Eye, and the Spinning Head!

By unanimous acclaim, nausea, and motion sickness, I submitted long ago to the petition to retain the Map avatar.

Ithaeliel 02-11-2003 04:36 PM

<--------- Sailor Saturn rules!

I don't have a problem with people stealing- er, I mean sharing my avatars. If it ever happened, I would probably change mine to something different... it's a bit hard to be truly unique on a forum which has 6000+ members (even if many of them post once, leave, and don't return).

burrahobbit 02-11-2003 05:11 PM

My avatar is unique. It is not hard.

red 02-11-2003 05:15 PM

<--- Priceless.

Rim, that's $19.99 plus tax.

DaughterofVana 02-11-2003 05:19 PM

<------ Lifted from BD's own site.

Whaaaat?? It's pretty! I know I have no shame.

-'Vana

[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: DaughterofVana ]

Susan Delgado 02-11-2003 05:55 PM

Quote:

My avatar is unique. It is not hard.
What he said.

This Phoenix is mine, I created it. On one hand it's only a few bytes of pixels, but on the other it's something I thought about and spent time making. I put my energy into it, and no one else on this planet can say that.

My previous avatar, Chameleon, I did not create, but it is mine as well, because it has been mine.

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-12-2003 05:16 PM

Quote:

for a long time I thought that your avatar was a picture of General Erich von Falkenhayn
For the benefit of those unfamiliar with German military history, this is General von Falkenhayn

http://www.dhm.de/lemo/objekte/pict/97003948/200.jpg

They do look quite similar, but mine is Sir Cosmo Edmund Duff-Gordon, fifth Baronet. I chose him for his moustache.

vanwalossien 02-13-2003 09:13 AM

That general had a quite impressive moustache too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I don't know if I'm just weird or what the thing is, but I can't help picuring you a bit like your avatar Squatter (don't ask me why..).

I don't think there's any danger of anyone borrowing my avatar, so far I've met ONE downer who has even recognised it. It's Nemi, that's what. Cartoon from Norway, great fun. But if anyone by any chance likes Nemi, just borrow it. I 'borrowed' it myself from an online newspaper.

Bêthberry 02-13-2003 11:23 AM

I hate to disappoint you, vanwalossien, but that avatar fails to do justice to the real Squatter, by a long shot. It doesn't even come close. Except by way of signifying his sense of humour. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry

Pipperin 02-13-2003 03:06 PM

I think its ok to "borrow" avatars, but mine never seem to work [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I could say my avatar is completely black [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh 02-13-2003 03:21 PM

Quote:

I can't help picuring you a bit like your avatar Squatter
Much as Bethberry may flatter, the avatar looks a great deal more distinguished than I do. Note the quiet dignity with which he bears his bizarre name and insane facial growth. I can only aspire to such gravitas.

obloquy 02-13-2003 06:14 PM

Quote:

but I think for the sake of not confusing other members it's a better idea to go original or not go at all.
You're using Elrian's avatar.

VanimaEdhel 02-13-2003 06:42 PM

I think that, no matter what the history of how someone managed to obtain their particular avatar is, one should always ask their permission to take it. While originality is always most favorable, if you really, really, really like someone's avatar, I think that you should be able to ask to share avatars. If they say "no" for personal reasons, that's okay. Then you can make/find a similar avatar on your own, if you want. Just search for sites with art of a theme similar to that which you desire!

Meanwhile, you can always know me through my fairy avatars...

EDIT: Seemed fitting that I posted here right after changing my avatar, actually...

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]

Orual 02-13-2003 09:20 PM

Quote:

You're using Elrian's avatar.
Am I? Oops! I've never seen any of Elrian's posts. My bad--I was desperately trying to find an avatar that worked, after the site my old avatar was from shut down. Thanks for the heads-up...I'll try to find a new one.

~*~Orual~*~

Alkanoonion 02-13-2003 09:24 PM

I like my avatar, it’s not as good as my old kangaroo but it is more appropriate considering the Downs theme

Quote:

after the site my old avatar was from shut down. Thanks for the heads-up...I'll try to find a new one
You should never direct link to another sites images without permission as they pay each time someone views the image. This is the same as stealing... saying that I will move my pic tonight to my own server as well
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]

Alkanoonion 02-13-2003 09:33 PM

like my new Avatar?

Diamond18 02-13-2003 09:54 PM

Yes, very nice, Alk. Very...ghastly.
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

vanwalossien 02-14-2003 02:33 AM

I know Squatter doesn't look like that, I've seen his pic on Alk's picture page, but I can't help it...

dragoneyes 02-14-2003 03:31 AM

Vanima! At last! you have an avatar I can actually see! I've never seen your avatar before, it's always been a red cross.

My avatars will always be dragons. If mine were to be used, I'd pobably still keep it because I had it first and I'm really quite fond of it.

Kalimac 02-15-2003 06:44 PM

I'd say always ask, no matter where the avatar came from. Just for general harmony and all that. However, if you've *never* seen an avatar around and have to dig back a year and a half in the archives to find someone who was using it, it's probably safe to assume that it's back in the common pool.

- Kalimac (whose avatar was kindly given to her by Diamond18)

Beren87 02-15-2003 07:55 PM

Don't ever take my Avatar. Period.

I use it on every PHP board that I go to, it's part of my identity.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]

Lindolirian 02-15-2003 08:28 PM

I am Agent Elrond... 'nuff said.

Orual 02-15-2003 09:18 PM

This may deviate slightly from the topic at hand, and feel free to ignore this post if you see it fit, but where does everybody else get their avatars? I do try to link from my own website, but it's a pretty bottom-line crummy website and for one reason or another (though I'm leaning toward an extraterrestrial conspiracy, myself) all I get is that omnipresent box-with-an-X for my efforts. I'd like an avatar, since it gives a visual link to a screen name, but I simply don't know where to get them. Advice?

~*~Orual~*~

Alkanoonion 02-15-2003 09:32 PM

I have some on my home site found here
you can direct link to my page, I am always on the look out for more avatars to add so if you want one hosted just email me with it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

jwahl@bigpond.com
or
thain@breeunderbreehill.com
or
joe.wahl@transport.sa.gov.au