The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What place in Middle Earth most resembles where you live? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3477)

Lhunbelethiel 11-02-2002 11:20 AM

What place in Middle Earth most resembles where you live?

Is there a place in ME that looks like the place where you live? I'd have to say I live in a place like the Bay of Belfalas, but with lots of rolling hills all around. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

LePetitChoux 11-02-2002 12:35 PM

I guess the closest thing to London would be a big city like Minas Tirith... http://www.plauder-smilies.de/tiere/grommit.gif

Sleeping Beauty 11-02-2002 01:02 PM

The closest place in Middle-Earth to where I live would be Mirkwood. I live way back in the woods, so it fits. They can be really dark, especially at night, so I hope there are no huge spiders...@_@

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Sleeping Beauty ]

Meela 11-02-2002 02:54 PM

scotland is arnor, wales is mordor (Black Mt.s a biiiig giveaway...), south west is the shire, although i do kinda live in minas tirith..., south east is gondor, north west of england (lake district style) is mirkwood, middle east area (between newcastle and nottingham (?)) is lothlorien, birmingham area and newcastle area is dwarfiness, and the centre (between southampton, derbyshire, bristol-ish, and nottingham-ish) is where rivendell should be, cos theres nowhere else

my nottingham is just above the east anglia 'bump' that sticks out of the coast in the south east. if its not right, take my nottingham as watever is above the bump.

ireland is the undying lands.

if ure american (usa only), east-s.east is gondor, north east is lothlorien, north is dwarfiness, north west is mirkwood, west is nothing as such, south west is rohan, and south is arnor. mordor doesnt exist unless it is the west. (added note- rivendell is in the west.)

europe as a whole- scandinavia = arnor. british isles = the shire. spain = rohan. italy = gondor. russia = wastelands and some dwarfiness in the west. germany = dwarf also. france = shire and around, also. austria, and switzerland, etc. = mirkwood. belgium and the netherlands = rivendell. bulgaria, transylvania, etc. = lothlorien area. malta = undying lands. mordor is somewhere in far eastern-ish europe. sorry if i forgot anything.

leslie_hobbit_lass 11-02-2002 03:03 PM

I'd have to say that I live outside of Hobbiton. Im surrounded by wheat feilds and there's a small town about 3 miles away.
Quote:

"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!" Gandalf
[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: leslie_hobbit_lass ]

Manwe Sulimo 11-02-2002 03:14 PM

Meela, NE USA more closely resembles the Far Downs (the Shire-ish feel, with mountains in the background).

Lórien, we certainly are not.

InklingElf 11-02-2002 03:27 PM

hmmmm what could California be?-probably the Mist Mountains for the bay area...

Meela 11-02-2002 03:27 PM

i didnt have my map- i lost it. that was a semi- guess, so loth. and mirk. may be the wrong way round...

does the n. e. have forest?

InklingElf 11-02-2002 03:31 PM

ooooh ic

-for the forest umm I think the place where the Red Wood trees are will fit just right w/ Mirkwood...

Arwen Imladris 11-02-2002 03:52 PM

I live in Canada, Ontario. We have lots o trees, not mainy big mountains but hills we have as well as a few flat farmland type of thing. Perhaps in Doriath? Either that or the Shire or Mirkwood, Lothlorien...

Galadrie1 11-02-2002 03:53 PM

There's lots of forest around where I live, so I guess it's like Mirkwood. But I find the people here are very opposed to change, and a lot of them don't like leaving the area, so in that sense it's more like the Shire.

tangerine 11-02-2002 10:19 PM

I'm from Ontario, and my town is pretty cottage country, and many people have never gone outside it, though you kinda have to the go to high school. I'd say it's a pretty fair version of the Shire.

Lindril Arvilya 11-03-2002 09:13 AM

I too am from Ontario, but I'd say I'm on top of one of the Misty Mountains. Or Caradhras. You should see the whiteout this morning.

Selmo 11-03-2002 10:08 AM

I live on the edge of a city where traditional industries, coal mining, iron & steel making, quarrying and ceramics, are in decline. Much of it seems like Mordor on a bad day.

But just a mile from my house are quiet, small fields and little woods and good people; The Shire.

vanwalossien 11-03-2002 10:29 AM

I live in eastern Norway, in a place that is sorta Shire-ish, or maybe around Bree someplace.

Aylwen Dreamsong 11-03-2002 10:55 AM

well, I live in Maryland USA. At first I was thinking MOrdor since like, every clear space you find in Baltimore there are people trying to build stuff there (or maybe that would be Isengard?). But, when you get closer to my house, near the bay, It has really pretty trees and fields. And at night, all you can see are stars and the moon. Maybe Mirkwood, or Lothlorien, although I think my grandparents house in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan is more like Lothlorien. But everyone in my neighborhood is really nice. Except that one lady. She always says my cats....oh nevermind

I really don't know.

Aylwen

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

dragoneyes 11-03-2002 11:25 AM

I live in (well, more on the edge of) a small-ish village, there are lots of feilds around and just down the road are the waterr-meadows, where the cows are always out and about. But a few of the people are quite nasty, sounds a bit like Gondor.

hobbitlass 11-03-2002 12:48 PM

Aylwen Dreamsong, could that lady be Lobelia Sackville-Baggins?! A cranky sort?

Bill Ferny 11-03-2002 01:00 PM

I don't know about where I currently live. Probably Rohan. Where I grew up, rural Ohio, was definitely Nurn. We grew the crops for the armies of darkness.

Orodoliel 11-03-2002 01:19 PM

I consider the countryside around where I live to be very Shire-like. There are lots of wheat fields, and small villages.

Cúdae 11-03-2002 02:04 PM

Where I live is suburban with absolutely nothing Middle-Earthish about it--if you don't look closely and use your imagination. My town park (if you forget about the cars going by...) is a lot like the Shire. Everything is very green and rolling (until winter, then everything's dead). The downtown section of where I live is very old fashioned and the decoration on the buildings reminds me of Rivendell. Behind my house is a small wood that is choked and dark all of the time. When I go through there, I think of Mirkwood. If one chooses to walk up towards the "nicer" section of town, the houses become quite large and elegant, more fit for royalty than some suburbans who commute 2 hours a day to a major law firm in Boston. One particular house makes me think of Numenor (did I spell that right?). Going back to the park for a moment, there is a hill surrounded by trees that always has sun. Lothlorien anyone?
So you see, you can find Middle-Earth anywhere.

Arwen Imladris 11-03-2002 09:48 PM

Quote:

I'm from Ontario, and my town is pretty cottage country
I am north of cottage country! (hehe I love saying that!)

I have probebly been through your town on me way to Toronto! (no, I am not stalking you.)

Eruialiwen 11-05-2002 09:26 PM

I think where I live resembles the Shire and vice-versa (I'm in Virginia near the Shenandoah Valley). But sitting in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mts., it's a bit like the Misty Mountains as well with all the clouds straggling over the peaks all the time [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Meela 11-08-2002 03:34 PM

to the south of my house is a cross between the shire and rohan and north of the shire to the misty mountains area... i think, and some lothlorien/rivendell/mirkwood.
to the north is minas tirith and gondor-style/rohan-style area.
to the east is gondor/rohan-style area, and some other stuff.... i think.
to the west is arnor/rohan/gondor/shire/bree-misty mts. area.

i live between gondor and rohan [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The-Elf-Herself 11-08-2002 04:52 PM

Hmmm, how to describe rural Central PA... Probably the Shire. It's all farmland, rolling hills, streams, Amish buggies and the like out here. Nosy people, cranky senior citizens, and an attitude not conducive to change. Yes, definitely the Shire(that might explain why I'm so restless; I'm more of a seashore person [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ).

Eruwen 11-09-2002 10:20 AM

Well, I live in a quite SMALL town. It, I think, most resembles Crickhollow. Ya know, very few houses around with woods right behind your house. It would be either that or Hobbiton. But Hobbiton has WAY too cool of landscapes around to be my neighborhood.

Baran 11-11-2002 02:43 AM

Inot sure what The North of Norway resembles, although you could probably have found a place like this in middle-earth. Maybe the coasts north-west, north of Cirdan's place...?

orlandoandsaran 11-11-2002 03:01 AM

Well, what place resembles something from Middle-earth which has a sea nearby and a town near it?
Over here there are also forests, cold wind and shopping malls.

lathspell 11-13-2002 05:57 AM

I live in Holland, in the West to be exact. And it resembles the Shire the best of all things in M-e, I guess. Lots of Pools, villages (and cities). Some forests and other Shiry things. And I live not too far from the Sea (not far at all actually).

Balrog of Khazadum 11-13-2002 08:15 AM

probaly like dunland or rohan

Elana 11-13-2002 08:23 AM

I live in the country of southern georgia. We own more than 100 acres of forest. There are soooo many different places in Middle-Earth that would have looked like my woods. There is one area of about 10 acres that looks like Lothlorien or Rivendell, there are huge grassy hills beside a creek in another part that remind me of the shire, then there are the parts of my forest that are tangled and overgrown and remind me of Mirkwood...maybe THIS is why I've decided to make a LoTR parody movie and film it on my land. Anyone wants to help out with it? Just e-mail me at redheaded_poetgirl@hotmail.com

VanimaEdhel 11-13-2002 06:19 PM

Hmmm...a mix of Rivendell and Mirkwood...until you go into town: then it resembles nothing Middle-Earthy: too darn ugly and poor...but: I live in the woods on a mountain, and it's very pretty at the moment...I live in the small upper-middle class area of my poor, unknown town...

TolkienGurl 11-13-2002 07:36 PM

On the way home from school, which is about an hour from where I live, I saw a round spot in a forest where there grew no trees, just grasses, and weeds, and brambles. It reminded me of the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest!

Neferchoirwen 11-13-2002 08:37 PM

I've been trying to put more thought into what my home looks like: It actually looks like the Shire, but room looks like a bedroom out of Rivendell: at 4 to 5 pm, the light ledges itself into my room, giving it a mysterious glow.

Our backyard looks pretty much like the Shire, with the trees, and the clothesline, and with my dogs lounging all over the place.

elsye 11-13-2002 11:51 PM

I'm not 100% percent sure what my home resembles. I live at the bottom of the Olympic mountains in Washington st. and my house is surrounded by trees with a short trail to a couple of meadows and a river, where i go to pick mushrooms. It's also got a valley just east of the house. what do you think?

TolkienGurl 11-14-2002 01:50 PM

Maybe Rivendell? That's kind of what it sounds like, with mountains and all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I want to see mountains!

Aramacil 11-14-2002 02:04 PM

I agree with lathspell,I live in Holland and it would probably mostly resembles the shire, with the fields and villages.
But it's much flatter, we really miss the hobbithills here. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Galadriel9 11-14-2002 02:22 PM

Hi, by the way, I'm new, this is such a lush site by the way! Anyway, I live in Wales and parts of it are SO like I imagined Mordor. There is this one bit v.near my house which is a branch off a nature trail and I reckon its quite like Lothlorien, when the cars cease for a moment, all is still and all you can hear is the wind whispering in the trees, its lush, anyway, I'm really chuffed that I'm a member now, so I'm gonna go and join some more discussions, take care all, love ME!

Orual 11-14-2002 04:32 PM

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs Galadriel9!!

Where I live most resembles...Midgewater. Lots of small biting insects. Blech.

However, since it's Midgewater, that means that it's not too far from the Shire! Lots of nice small towns around. I wouldn't move. I'd just move the bugs.

~*~Orual~*~

Arwen Imladris 11-14-2002 04:38 PM

Quote:

this is such a lush site
Does anyone else find this the slightest bit amusing?
lush

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen Imladris ]