The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favorite movie character not in the books. (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11438)

Boromir88 12-11-2004 09:39 PM

Favorite movie character not in the books.

From the movies Peter Jackson added a few characters of his own, not in the books. Now I realize there is a limitted number to choose from, unless you want to go with some one like Gondor Soldier #42 (you know the one that got slammed up against a big stone). Anyway, who is your favorite character from the movies, that wasn't in the books?

For me, I took a fondness for Faramir's Lieutenant, Madril. In ROTK, when Gothmog was standing over him, it appeared to me Madril was scared, and was going to start begging for his life, but he took the spear like a man. Plus, I just like the way the guy talks..."FARAMIR!"

Morgul Queen 12-11-2004 09:50 PM

Figwit! *nodnodnod*

Elven-Maiden 12-11-2004 09:54 PM

Would I be linched if I said Arwen? :p

I'll go with Figwit too! :D

Boromir88 12-11-2004 09:57 PM

I'm not familiar with figwit, if one of you two explain which one he is, that would be great :D .

Morgul Queen 12-11-2004 10:03 PM

Figwit is an extra in Fellowship during the Council. He's onscreen for all of 3 seconds and a has an extremely large fan following. He got given a speaking role in RotK because of this. *grins*

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-30-2004 03:22 PM

I had been wondering about that, but just never got round to asking.... :p

Don't you mean Mablung, Boro? I'm sure that was his name. I would agree with you, and I would also add 'Gamling' to the list, a pretty sensible inclusion by PJ I think.

Boromir88 12-30-2004 03:29 PM

Mablung is the guy that goes to Faramir while he's trying to decide to take the ring to Osgiliath or not. He's the one that goes "Osgiliath is under attack, they call for reinforcements."

Madril is the guy that was like "If you let them go your life will be forfeit." And he dies in ROTK, when Gothmog stands over him and jabs him with a spear.

Encaitare 12-30-2004 03:37 PM

Gamling was a book character, just not exactly the same guy. In the book he was an old man at Helm's Deep -- I do like his movie character, though. He and Hama are way cool. :cool:

Boromir88 12-30-2004 03:40 PM

I think that's what Eomer met to say, although I'm not an expert at what goes through his mind :p ;) .

I agree with Gamling though. I loved Hama's character, especially in the books (but he was good in the movies I just wish he hadn't of died in the warg attack). I thought he should have died at Helm's Deep :( .

Meela 12-30-2004 04:18 PM

Madril is my favorite character in this category, although there was another Gondorian that caught my eye. Unfortunately, he was one of those #4384 characters. He was the first to pass dead Aragorn in Arwen's futurism scene. Tall, dark-haired, definite hint of nobility in those broad shoulders.

And Figwit deserves a mention, for his grand achievements in the world of fandom.

Nimrodel_9 12-30-2004 06:22 PM

I loves Figwit!!! (I`ve never heard him mentioned in this site before!) :D

There was also this Rohan dude in TTT watching the elves walk passed at Helm`s Deep. He had a silly smile on his face and caught my eye. :D

Encaitare 12-30-2004 08:59 PM

Who's the guy who says, "Then it is as the Lord Denethor predicted! Long has he forseen this doom!" He says this one line so vehemently, and then kinda shrinks into the background once more. Heh. Well, it amuses me, anyway.

Boromir88 12-30-2004 09:09 PM

I heard that guy was Imrahil, but I sure hope not. I can't stand him, and I don't think that guy fits Imrahil well.

"It's as the lord Denethor predicted, long has he forseen this doom." blarg.

Boromir88 12-30-2004 09:16 PM

I just checked IMDB.com. They have him listed as Irolas.

I wonder why PJ does that, that's twice now where he's switched letters on named. Mardil=Madril, Iorlas=Irolas, is it because of copying reasons or something? Or did PJ just switch them just because he could.

Meela 12-31-2004 06:55 AM

Oh, Irolas! He was my other favourite. He was supposed to be Beregond, surely.

Boromir88 12-31-2004 07:44 AM

So, they change Beregond's character, the only person with the guts to stand up to Denethor to a brown noser? Hmmm, it's something they would do, lol :p .

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-31-2004 01:31 PM

I had drawn up a shortlist of who would be the first person to point out to me that Gamling was in the books. I did not choose correctly.... :p

Nevertheless, he is a completely different character, with a different age, and a different role. He counts as an invention with a name from the books.

Now, I haven't been on any official sites, but can you guarantee that those were two different characters, one called Mablung and one called Madril? If true, I did not notice.

DarkRose 12-31-2004 02:52 PM

Hmm,

I'd have to say that one of my favorite non-book characters appeared in RotK. It's during the attack on Minas Tirith, when the orcs are catapaulting rocks at the city, and the city is catapaulting chunks of itself right back.

Well, remember the part when Gothmog nearly misses being crushed? Well I love the troll-thing that is next to him, the one that whimpers and looks inquisitively at Gothmog. He makes a quirky noise like "Mrrouhh?" If it is possible for a troll to be cute, I'd say he that's what he is. :P

Wow, that was a long explanation for... something insignificant, heh.

Boromir88 12-31-2004 07:56 PM

Yes, Eomer, two different people. Mablung has long dark hair, and a dark goatee, he breaks in when Faramir just finds out Frodo has the ring. "Osgiliath calls for reinforcements."

Madril looks similar, with long hair, but it's grayer. He's the one that was like "if you let him go your life will be forfeit." Then Gothmog jabs him with a spear in ROTK, right before Faramir retreats from Osgiliath.

Boromir88 12-31-2004 08:06 PM

Here's some pictures for you....

http://thm-c.search.vip.scd.yahoo.com/image/948160613
Madril

http://thm-a.search.vip.scd.yahoo.com/image/9537967
Mablung

Eomer of the Rohirrim 01-01-2005 09:13 AM

My apologies Boro. I can easily let you know where my confusion was coming from here.

I did not even know that 'Mablung' existed! He went by without my noticing. :rolleyes:

So, if I can clarify my original post, my picks for best invented characters are Gamling and Madril. :D

Dûrbelethwen 01-01-2005 12:42 PM

I think my favourite charcter of this catagory is Eldarion. Even though his part was not in the books I thought is was very beautiful and touching.

Nimrodel_9 01-01-2005 05:01 PM

Wait, which one was Eldarion? :confused:

Boromir88 01-01-2005 05:09 PM

Arwen's little boy she had in the premonition. The one Aragorn was spinning around and had really creepy eyes. He reminded me of something from Stephen King.

Quote:

My apologies Boro. I can easily let you know where my confusion was coming from here.
Tis ok Eomer, all it shows is I have enough time on my hands to do that sort of thing, sorta sad really. :D

Nukapei 01-01-2005 09:32 PM

Fave character in the movie but not the book is a tough one. Now, switch that around and I could give you a list a mile long! :rolleyes: For the original question though: Figwit is pretty cool. I felt bad for him in RotK when Arwen turns around and goes back, and he's just standing there like: " . . . . um . . ." lol And I didn't know that's why he got a speaking part! Hmm, makes sense for PJ and them to check the fansites, but you just don't think about stuff like that . . .

Figwit's my fave (and, Elven-Maiden, I like Arwen's new roles, too!), but I feel compelled to mention someone no one has said before. So: in the very beginning of FotR, during the battle with the Last Alliance, after Sauron is "destroyed" and it produces a shockwave of sorts, everybody's getting whipped around. There's this one Elf, dunno his name, but the poor thing's hair is going everywhere. He looks like he's in a hurricane or something! And I just think that the way the lighting and angle of the camera, etc., is, that's one of the coolest single freeze-frame from any movie I've ever seen! I look for him now, every time I watch FotR. If anyone knows his name, please tell me! And I'm going to be quiet now, because I'm tired and not writing well, and I've already written a novel. lol

Encaitare 01-01-2005 09:43 PM

I know who you're talking about! I don't know his name, but I always liked that shot.

Neurion 01-01-2005 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dûrbelethwen
I think my favourite charcter of this catagory is Eldarion. Even though his part was not in the books I thought is was very beautiful and touching.

He's in the Appendices. ;) :D

Roccotari Eldandil 01-03-2005 11:31 PM

Nukapei--I think there was some speculation awhile ago that the Elf whose hair is blowing all over the place is Thranduil (aka the Elven King, aka Legolas's dad) or maybe even Oropher (Thranduil's dad, if I recall my geneologies--sp?--correctly). Makes sense to me...I believe it fits in with the book. Although I'm sure PJ & co. didn't care THAT much. They just like blonde Elves.

Nukapei 01-04-2005 09:02 AM

Oh, really? Our mystery blond elf being Thranduil or Oropher makes sense. Although I agree, PJ is waaaay too fond of historically-rare blond elves!

Lobelia 01-05-2005 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dûrbelethwen

Um, sorry - there was, in fact, a mention of Eldarion the grown man in the Appendices. Aragorn says to Arwen, who's trying to talk him out of dropping dead, that their son is old enough to rule. I guess like the difference between movie-Gamling and book-Gamling.

Encaitare 01-05-2005 11:35 AM

I rather like the orc with the huge scar on his face and the skull on his head. Now that's the way to get the girls in a swoon. :p

Fordim Hedgethistle 01-05-2005 12:31 PM

Me, I've always been partial to Gondor Soldier #42 -- the way he gets smucked by that big hunk of rock. . .balletic!

Bêthberry 01-05-2005 12:33 PM

That guy who took the long dive off Minas Tirith. ;) And those elves at Helm's Deep. Them especially.

Seriously now, though, those doe-eyed refugee children in Rohan, in TTT just before Helm's Deep. Their inclusion was touching, but just so mythic. ;)

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-05-2005 09:38 PM

My first "Movies" post--I think.

I'd go for Garulf, the dead guy in Éomer's éored who was reincarnated as a horse.

And Éothain, the sharp-mouthed lieutenant (speculation) of Éomer cursed by Saruman to be young. I think.

Lalaith 01-06-2005 04:31 AM

Ah, Bethberry, you beat me to it, I was going to mention the children of the Westfold. And lets not forget poor little Haleth with his rubbishy sword....
I will also add my vote to Madril (and thanks for providing his name). He looked and acted like such a decent man, and his death was dreadful.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 01-06-2005 07:45 AM

I like the old Hobbit who is constantly sweeping the path outside his home. I know he's not really an invention per se, but still...

Boromir88 01-06-2005 12:18 PM

I know who you are talking about Eomer. I think that represents a hobbit in the book, but not entirely sure, but I second that. Just stands in his doorway and sweeps outside, haha.

The Saucepan Man 01-06-2005 12:20 PM

I believe that he is named as Odo Proudfoot in the cast list. He is the one who says "Proudfeet" at Bilbo's party.

Nukapei 01-06-2005 12:28 PM

Oh, yes, the doe-eyed Rohirrim children are adorable! And they also double as the (still) doe-eyed Hobbit children Bilbo is telling his story at the party in FotR. Did anyone else notice that?

The Saucepan Man 01-06-2005 12:39 PM

... and the doe-eyed children in Minas Tirith ...

... and the doe-eyed offspring of Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh ...