The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Which LotR character reminds you most of yourself - and why? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3321)

THE Ka 10-16-2004 10:13 PM

An Introvert alike...

Oh, how i have thought about this topic... well, i see myself as a mixture of characters, my favorite character Boromir (*Praise the Disco-King!* :D ) though, not being anything like myself. Honestly, i see myself as a Radagast, or i can realate to him the most. Though little is said about him, i feel very much alike. Tolkien for me, explained and presented him as being sort of detacted from the human world, introverted, mysterious but ideal. I relate to him in two ways, maybe even more. I love animals, i do not know or want to know my life without their influence, another is that i find myself always giving advice to friends and family when they ask it but, i always hide myself or dissappear when someone expresses their thankfulness by telling others about me or thanking me. Also i love rural areas, even though i can agree some cities are wonderful (the closest to me being Seattle for comparison), I can't cope with how crampt and lifeless they are. In other words, give me a deserted island or costal forest and i'm estatic. :)

Well, that's all i have to say. Wish i had more but, that's it.

- KA

Galadriel55 03-20-2011 07:39 AM

I'm probably most alike with Thorin. I have his temper and inconsistency. :D

I don't trust the personality tests. For one thing, each one gives me different results. I can't be Sam, Pippin, Legolas, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, and Arwen all at once! *Or can I? :Merisu:* Secondly, the multiple choice doesn't satisfy me, because I'd do neither, or a mixture of them.

Almesiva Moonshadow 03-20-2011 01:25 PM

Hmmm...This is kind of a hard question for me, and I'm not quite sure what the answer would be...so lets see...:cool:

I'm a loner by nature.
I can be very proud sometimes.
I'm not really THAT brave, if you know what I mean...
and I tend to lie a lot

So what do we get?
A mix of Boromir,Aragorn,Gollum:eek:and some other guy, who's a coward???
(I'm not sure if there are any cowards in Tolkiens works...)

I'm really confused now...:(

Galadriel55 03-20-2011 01:31 PM

Saruman, perhaps?

Almesiva Moonshadow 03-20-2011 01:51 PM

Omg!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 651812)
Saruman, perhaps?

A mixture of Aragorn,Boromir, Gollum and Saruman!? :eek:

Good god!!! What kind of freak am I? :D

Galadriel55 03-20-2011 02:06 PM

Or you could just say Saruman of many, *cough*, personalities... :p

If that was said about me, I'd understand it as stubborn, bad-tempered, concieted, inconsistent, lazy, off my rocker, exasporating, over-enthusiastic when it isn't needed, offering help at exactly the wrong moment, and so many more... :D

But to make things easier, I'm most like Thorin.

Oh, and add show-off to that list. :p

Galadriel 03-21-2011 08:28 AM

Wow, that's a hard question! As much as I'd like to say, "Galadriel! Tuor! Maglor! Finrod!" I can only say...Merry. Why, you ask? Let's not even go there...it's not flattering. At all.

Anguirel 03-21-2011 08:38 AM

Maeglin, if anyone needed to know that for sure

Mithalwen 03-21-2011 02:28 PM

Really? I thought it would be Maglor or at least a Feanorion....

Formendacil 03-21-2011 04:47 PM

Bilbo.

The propensity for writing things about subjects that he knows a lot on, but is no expert (e.g. Elves) feels very familiar, as does the stay-at-home routine mixed with a dash of moving somewhere foreign. And the pipe.

But, I suppose, the most "human" character in The Hobbit is meant to be identified with...

EDIT: Meanwhile, Gandalf is the character I would *like* to be: a crotchety old know-it-all with plenty of cause to be snarky.

Anguirel 03-21-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 651892)
Really? I thought it would be Maglor or at least a Feanorion....

I like the seven best, but would never quite aspire to be that cool...

Daeron also deserves a mention actually

EDIT: ha, have just seen this thread says LOTR. OK sure, beside the Silmarillion they're all a bit shabby, but I suppose I go with the usual bespectacled option, Faramir...

Thinlómien 03-22-2011 10:24 AM

I actually have to agree with Galadriel: Merry is the most like me - generally happy and friendly, a bit of an organisator and leader, feels kind of deeply but is still very down-to-earth and also of the scholarly type. Plus, he and Pippin always reminded me of myself and my little sister.

I actually also started thinking that Gimli is also someone slightly like me - I can see myself in the ubiquitous pessimism and the courage that exists side by side with it and in the loyalty to friends, the impatience and the love and awe of beautiful things. Plus, Gimli's jokes generally make me chuckle the most when I'm reading LotR even though they are sometimes really stupid.

And if I was an old man, I'd undoubtedly be a lot like Gandalf. :D

skip spence 03-22-2011 11:08 AM

Hm. Good question.

Tom Bombadil I suppose...

Not because I'm First, or the Master of anything in particular - and, honestly, I never make up and recite silly poetry in public nor strut around in bright yellow boots - but rather because I'm quite satisfied as long as I've got a good woman, good food and drink and some music and hiking for entertainment, much like Tom

Absinthe 03-22-2011 12:10 PM

Miruvor. Even if it is the wrong colour.:cool:

Galadriel 03-24-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absinthe (Post 651951)
Miruvor. Even if it is the wrong colour.:cool:

Meaning?

Galadriel55 03-24-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel (Post 652011)
Quote:

Miruvor. Even if it is the wrong colour.
Meaning?

Energetic, makes you feel better... ;) :D

Morthoron 03-24-2011 04:23 PM

Hmmm...I would say Eol, but that Elf simply has no sense of humor. Although spearing my ex-wife doesn't sound like such a bad idea...

*daydreams*

Errr...I'm joking, merely joking. Ummm...Saruman is cranky enough but I don't care to wear white. Gandalf? Cranky as well, but I don't tend to meddle in other people's affairs.

Okay, I will say Smaug. A nice dry wit and a mean streak.. ;)

Galadriel55 03-24-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 652028)

Hehe...

And speaking of dragons, I probably have a bit of Glaurung in me. All my friends say that I stare at them... :D

Formendacil 03-24-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Ummm...Saruman is cranky enough but I don't care to wear white.

Of course, though, there are really many colours Saruman could wear. :p

Morthoron 03-25-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formendacil (Post 652038)
Of course, though, there are really many colours Saruman could wear. :p

Hmmm...I still think I'd prefer my belly encrusted with diamonds and precious jewels. What a fashion statement at the beach!

Galadriel 03-25-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Hmmm...I would say Eol, but that Elf simply has no sense of humor. Although spearing my ex-wife doesn't sound like such a bad idea...

*daydreams*

Errr...I'm joking, merely joking. Ummm...Saruman is cranky enough but I don't care to wear white. Gandalf? Cranky as well, but I don't tend to meddle in other people's affairs.

You scare me. Quite a bit. Is that bad?

Morthoron 03-25-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel (Post 652050)
You scare me. Quite a bit. Is that bad?

No, not at all. Actually, I've mellowed over the last few days. :D

Absinthe 03-25-2011 08:56 AM

It's not easy being green!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel (Post 652011)
Meaning?

Not sure what you are implying but Miruvor is a clear spirit and I am a green one.

Galadriel55 03-25-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Absinthe (Post 652057)
Not sure what you are implying but Miruvor is a clear spirit and I am a green one.

This is a thread about characters. Which person/creature/entity/whatever from LOTR reminds you most of yourself?

I just realised that my character doesn't fit the criteria either, since Thorin does not appear much in LOTR... If it's only LOTR, then... erm...

Well, I'd prefer to be Gilraen, but I'm not that kind of person. My personality is pretty close to Gimli's too. Nice and pesimistic, he is. :D

Absinthe 03-25-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 652062)
This is a thread about characters. Which person/creature/entity/whatever from LOTR reminds you most of yourself?

I was actually aware of that. I thought my answer was rather apt given my screen name :( I'll get my coat.

Galadriel 03-26-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morthoron (Post 652054)
No, not at all. Actually, I've mellowed over the last few days. :D

Well, that's good. Are you a different character now, then?

Morthoron 03-26-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel (Post 652085)
Well, that's good. Are you a different character now, then?

No, not really. I just cut down on my coffee intake. And my facetiousness.

Bêthberry 04-01-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 652062)

None of them, actually. I like the dwarves, but I don't have a beard. :D And I like the Ents, but there's no entwives and I don't like the attitude towards them anyway. (And I do like bumping spammers off the page.)

Aganzir 01-18-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 651817)
But to make things easier, I'm most like Thorin.

Marry me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bêthberry (Post 652385)
I like the dwarves, but I don't have a beard.

That is easily solved, my love. ;)

I just took the Barrow-Downs personality test again after several years, and even though I feel I've changed a lot, I'm still Boromir (with a strong resemblance to Aragorn). This is awesome because I've always related to him - he's proud and does what he considers right and his duty. And if his notion of doing things right is different from the rest of the Fellowship's, he speaks out even if he's in the minority.

On my last reread of LOTR, I realised I'm also very much like Merry. I'm bossy just the same way.

And my last reread of The Hobbit proved me it's not very difficult at all to relate to Thorin either. I would be on edge (and mean) exactly like him if I was the leader of a company of 12 dwarves and a stupid hobbit, plus I see myself when his principles and haughtiness start bordering on ridiculous stubbornness.

Also, I am sure you all will be thrilled to know I just took another personality test on Selectsmart and scored 100% as Sauron. I don't really know how I did it, but I am extremely amused.

Andsigil 01-18-2013 09:25 PM

I consistently score as Gimli/generic dwarf on the tests I take.

I'm rather fond of, well, nearly everything dwarven, from architecture to hospitality.

Inziladun 01-18-2013 09:40 PM

I think I would have to say Gandalf.

I tend be overly concerned about myriad things and may come off as being somewhat grim at face value, though I do have a (rather odd) sense of humor as well.
Plus, I have a difficult time sitting still for long periods. ;)

Lalwendë 01-19-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 679719)

Also, I am sure you all will be thrilled to know I just took another personality test on Selectsmart and scored 100% as Sauron. I don't really know how I did it, but I am extremely amused.

Apparently I am 100% King Theoden. Which makes me laugh because I'm more or less a textbook definition of a Hobbit, sitting around pondering genealogy and maps while eating cake. And being easily persuaded by Wizards.

Aganzir 01-19-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andsigil (Post 679731)
I'm rather fond of, well, nearly everything dwarven, from architecture to hospitality.

High five, bro!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inziladun (Post 679734)
I tend be overly concerned about myriad things and may come off as being somewhat grim at face value

Yeah, Gandalf is more or less annoyed about half the times he opens his mouth! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lalwendë (Post 679764)
Apparently I am 100% King Theoden.

It seems like the test is inclined to give at least one 100% result to everyone. In addition to Sauron, I was also 92% Isildur. I don't really know how I managed to do it because all my answers were honest and at least I find myself a decent person!

THE Ka 01-20-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 679773)
It seems like the test is inclined to give at least one 100% result to everyone. In addition to Sauron, I was also 92% Isildur. I don't really know how I managed to do it because all my answers were honest and at least I find myself a decent person!

Must be all the 'Yes to the No' questions.

I can confirm that at least you are a rather lovely person. I only know this, because the quiz believes I'm the test-tube baby of Bilbo and Aragorn. So you know I'm made of pure good intentions, adorable eccentricity and wisdom.

Nerwen 01-20-2013 02:23 AM

Now, now, Agan. Who are you to question a test that is "newer, better, much more accurate"? Why, it even says so in the title!

Clearly, you are simply in denial about your inner Dark Lord-ness.:p

Mithalwen 01-20-2013 06:31 AM

A hundred percent Elrond. However I couldn't adjust the sliders...

Inziladun 01-20-2013 06:39 AM

Unbelievably, I just took the test and got 100% Gandalf. Arwen was a close second at 88%. :)

Mithalwen 01-20-2013 07:06 AM

I got zero for Arwen:D

Thinlómien 01-20-2013 07:12 AM

I am 100% Bilbo. Would never have occured to me, but really why not?

Apparently I'm also like Pippin (funny, because I'm currently rereading LotR and for the first time I'm actually identifying with him), Gollum (thanks), Éowyn (cool, but I hope I'm not that angsty!) and Elrond (Agan may laugh now). And 0% Tom Bombadil. (Greenie comments: "Well, good. I don't think you could stand a person like that. He's just the type that he would listen to reggae and you'd be stomping your feet!")

The Barrow-Downs personality test, however, tells me I'm the most like Legolas, and that I also resemble Boromir.

As for answering the question in general, I currently feel like a mixture of Gimli, Gandalf and Frodo.

Lalwendë 01-20-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithalwen (Post 679794)
I got zero for Arwen:D

And me. I guess I'm not cut out for staying at home sewing banners. ;) I also got 0% Legolas.