The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is your favourite name (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3224)

Estanesse 03-09-2003 09:58 AM

What is your favourite name

I'm not sure if there is already a thread as this one, if so sorry. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

There are some wonderful names in Me and most of them are very diverse.
So I was wondering what’s everyone his favourite (place, character or object) name.

Mine would be Gildor Inglorion because the word Inglorion just sounds great and it’s always makes me want to read the sil.

Meela 03-09-2003 10:11 AM

Brego, Elessar, Denethor, Imladris, Gondor (really does sound noble), Faramir, Lothlorien, Druadan, Haldir, Elendil, Isildur, Eryn Lasgalen

Airerûthiel 03-09-2003 10:32 AM

Imladris, Tuckborough, Celebrian, Aragorn, Gil-galad, Éowyn, Arwen, Meriadoc, Moria, Lothlórien, Rivendell, Meduseld, Minas Tirith, Eärendil

and it's not a Middle-earth name but I still like the word: Olori (Quenya for 'dreams')

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Airerûthiel ]

Elanor 03-09-2003 11:44 AM

I agree, there are some great names.

I know what you mean about Gildor Inglorion. The Gildor part makes me think of gold (gilded, + doré) and the Inglorion has the connotation of glory. I have no idea what the name really means, but that's what it conjures up for me.

I also like Imladris, Ithilien, Rauros, Lossarnach, Pelargir and Taniquetil. I just noticed they're all place names, that wasn't intentional, but they are names that appeal to me.

Finnguala 03-09-2003 12:15 PM

Lothlorien, Rivendell, Galadriel, Arwen, Gondor. I'm sure there are a lot more beautiful names, but I'm not going to write them all down. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Lyra Greenleaf 03-09-2003 12:23 PM

i really like dwarvish names, especially Khazad-Dum. it might not seem too beautiful, but just say it- please!
i also love the name niniel, but unfortunately she married her brother, (which isn't too great!)
imladris, ithilien, peregrin took (you have to say both together), isildur, symbelmyne, earendil, palantiri, anything with lots of i's in it i guess!

Malva Headstrong 03-09-2003 12:58 PM

Whitwell, Brandy Hall, Crickhollow, Marish Earendel (the old version sounds better), Elwing, Elros, Finrod Felagund, Simbelmyne, Thryhyrne, Meduseld, Edoras, Pelargir,... I could go on like this for hours [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-09-2003 01:35 PM

Gondor, Dol Amroth, Emyn Muil, Minas Tirith, Nazgûl, Elendil, Boromir, Faramir, Éomer, Théoden, the river Anduin, Tolfalas are all favorites. I enjoy hearing them said and they almost always represent adventure for me. Just love 'em. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

GaladrieloftheOlden 03-09-2003 02:05 PM

Quote:

I have no idea what the name really means, but that's what it conjures up for me.
There was a thread somwhere with Elvish roots for names so I copy pasted them into a file on word. I couldn't find anything for Inglorion, but Gildor means Star Land. (Gil- star, Dor- land.) Wouldn't it be nice to have a nname that means starland?
I like how all of the names of people and places and stuff sound in Tolkien's works, but I'll post a few.
Isildur- the way they say it in the movies. It may be all wrong, but it just gives me a really cool feeling to hear them say it. (IsIL-door, IsIL-door, IsiL-door...)
Lothlorien- all flowing and reminiscent of Spring. Or maybe it sounds that way to m because of my strange mind. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Imladris- I dunno why. just a cool name.
Khazad-dum- I also like that a lot, it sounds all mysterious and shadowy.
I think I might post more later.

eleanor_niphredil 03-09-2003 02:23 PM

Niphredil, and Laurelindorien.

[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]

Goldberry 03-09-2003 03:38 PM

I think they do say Isildur right in the movie, especially Elrond.

Anyway, I love so many names, and I won't put them all, but here are a few:

Bucklebury Ferry - I just love how Merry says it in the movie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Ithilien and Minas Ithil, Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Mordor, Osgiliath, Arwen, Imladris, Tom Bombadil, Celebrimbor, Khazad-Dum . . . I could go on for a lot more but I won't [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Peri 03-09-2003 03:46 PM

Undomiel, Elessar, Imladris, Gil-galad, Ungoliant, Adamant...too many to name. They just seem to flow.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-09-2003 04:05 PM

Quote:

I think they do say Isildur right in the movie, especially Elrond.
I think I read somewhere that in Quenya, if the second syllable is followed by two consonants, then the first syllable gets the accent. So, it would be "I-sil-dur". Or I could be mistaken, since I usually am in these matters.

eleanor_niphredil 03-09-2003 04:26 PM

I always liked the name Legolas...

Gorwingel 03-09-2003 04:32 PM

Eowyn, Eomer, Merridoc, Samwise, Galadriel, Lorien, Gil-Galad, Luthien, they just all roll off of the tounge really nicely.
The names are just one of the really cool parts of the books.

Lyra Greenleaf 03-09-2003 04:56 PM

Quote:

They just seem to flow.
thats it exactly! they flow....its amazing. some of them, just the name makes me smile!

Inderjit Sanghera 03-09-2003 05:03 PM

Ectehlion, Maitimio ( Quenya Mother name of Maedhros),Feanor, Sauron, Bronweg ( Quenya for 'Voronwe', another cool name) and Finwe.

Chancellen the True 03-09-2003 08:56 PM

I not only loved the names, but the titles that went with some of them.

Celebrimbor, Ecthelion of the Fountain, Utummo, Rog of the Anvil, Turin Turambar, Romendacil, Dain Ironfoot, Ancalagon the Black and many more.

Kalimac 03-09-2003 11:22 PM

Kalimac Brandagamba, of course! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. All the names are lovely, especially the Elven ones, but Merry's Westron name has euphony and solidity all combined into one.

Narya 03-10-2003 05:07 AM

I allways liked the name Beleg. And I also like Nienor. They are just simple names, the elvish words for Mighty ad Sadness, I think.
I like many more names very much, especially those with diphtonges like Feanor or Galadriel.
Others are: Annuminas, Formenos, Utumno, Osgiliath, Lalaith, Faramir, Estel...

Estelyn Telcontar 03-10-2003 07:37 AM

Would it come as a very big surprise to anyone that I like the name 'Telcontar'? It has a simple, down-to-earth meaning, 'Strider', but sounds so elegant in Quenya. As Aragorn said:
Quote:

In the high tongue it will not sound so ill.

Nenuial 03-10-2003 12:10 PM

some of my favorites are:
osgiliath
melian
galadriel
khaza-dum (dont know if i spelled that right)
isildur
rohan
eowyn
arien - funny thing..before i was really into tolkien i made up (well thought i did) the name arien for some forum thing and later found out that this was one of tolkiens characters...weird

well anyway there all so fun to say [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Manardariel 03-10-2003 12:29 PM

Ok, here I go....
Pearl, Rosie, Diamond, Peregrin, Meriadoc, Eowyn, Lúthien, Gondolin, Lothlórien, Galadriel, Arwen Undómiel, Shadowfax, Parth Galen, Rauros, Eowyn, Ecthelion, Varda, Yavanna, Niniel, Estel um...... ok, that´s all. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Pervinca Burrows from Combe 03-10-2003 12:44 PM

I like the name Galadriel, Edoras, Gondor, Gandalf and Borimir i don't know why I just like saying them, i especially like saying Saruman and Sauron.

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy 03-10-2003 04:23 PM

Sauron is fun to say, especially when you're playing X-Men Monopoly and land on him and scream, "CURSE YOU SAURON!" You get really funny looks from your LotR-fan family members that way. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

... yes, Sauron is also the name of a mutant.

amyrlis 03-10-2003 09:16 PM

People names: Imrahil & Amarie

Place names: Brandywine & Buckleberry Ferry (too fun to say!)

moth 03-10-2003 09:21 PM

pippin or periguian took

Tinuviel87 03-10-2003 09:31 PM

I mostly love anything in elvish and also I like the names of the people of Rohan, Eowyn, Eomer, the Eorlingas (i like the E's [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) But I would have to say my very favorite would be Estel (hope) becasue Aragorn is one of my favorite chracters and i think Estel is a beautiful translation for hope and all hat Aragron signifies
~Seka

Elfstar 03-11-2003 03:36 AM

Elessar definately!! And Earendil, Luthien,Beren, Frodo, Faramir, Theoden.

Damn, I love all the names...cant just choose a few! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Lindril Arvilya 03-11-2003 02:51 PM

Nenya, Tinuviel, Elladan, Gwindor, Nargothrond, Iluvatar, Telperion, Ainur, Thranduil, Orthanc, Dimrill, Anduril, Nimrodel, Mellyrn (the tree), Elanor.

Rochelle 03-11-2003 03:59 PM

I'm going to have to say:

Elessar
Evenstar
Imladris
Brego
Legolas
Galadriel
Mirrormere

Marigold Hedgeworth 03-11-2003 05:05 PM

I've always loved the name Lalaith. Then there're Laurelin, Kementári, Maedhros, Caradhras, Nargothrond, Taniquetil, Valaquenta(I'm not sure if you'd quite consider that a name...), Eldalië, Haleth...I doubt it would come as much of a surprise to say that I've been known to spend time just reading the index of the Silm. So many names, so little time... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Mari

GaladrieloftheOlden 03-11-2003 05:50 PM

Laurelin, Lothlorien, Elbereth, Gilthoniel, Orodruin (not as good as the others, but still good), Orophin, Haldir, Butterbur (it sounds like a tasty food, but sort of funny too, Celeborn, Galadriel, Legolas, Earendil, Elrond, Elros, Luthien, Tinuviel, Undomiel, Ungoliante (I haven't read about her/him yet- sin't it that giant spider?- I just like how the name sounds), Thranduil, Smog, Elendil, Gil-Galad, Isildur, Anarion, Melkor, Numenor, Westernesse....that's it for today. There'll be more later, probably... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Burzdol 03-11-2003 06:06 PM

I guess I have to say these:

Edoras
Minas Tirith[spelling?]
Elendel
Minas Morgul
Bara-dur
Legolas
Rohan
Gondorian
Rohirrm
Nazgul
Fingon
Haldir
Denethor
Eowyn
Rivendell
Moria
Balin
Lothlorien
Imladris
Khazad-Dum
Eomer
Aragorn
Galadriel
Earendil

~Burzdol~

Luinalatawen 03-11-2003 07:03 PM

I like Isildur, Ithilien, Undomiel, Galadriel, Earwen, and Mithrandir. Of course, like everyone else, there are many more! Those are the ones that come to mind though.

the witch king 03-12-2003 07:37 AM

There is alot of names from tolkien's works that i like but Ar-Pharazon of Feanor are my favz.

Gilbo 03-12-2003 11:36 AM

I like Hobbit names as they are very home-y. I am one, fond of the mug and the pipe and second breakfasts.
Dwarve names sound strong. Among my favorites, Khazak-dum, and Thorin Oakenshield
Elbereth Gilthoniel! Especially as used by Sam in the darkness of Shelob. Very Inspiring. Other names include Lothlorien,Galadriel,Melian,Luthien
Ent speech is strange, but I like the concept
"Place of brown rich soil, deep cool waters, green growing,tall standing, echoes of many battles,..." names that modify and grow as things change, but always remembered.

the guy who be short 03-13-2003 04:04 PM

i think tolkien probably spent a lot of his time making sure the names sounded just right. anyone who has read HoME will know he changed them alot. and he did it with his languages too.

Minyacirith 03-14-2003 07:02 PM

->Sauron. (It's "SOW-ron".) It must be said in a really deep voice.
[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]"heuh huh huh."
->Narsil. Even if you don't know its the name of a sword, it still sounds like something you would STAB someone with. hyah!
->Olórin. Gandalf's real name. You hear the name and think- POWER.
->mithril.
->palantiri.
->Ecthelion. (Isn't that Greek though?)
->Ancalagon.
->Meriadoc.
->Emyn Muil. (How do you even say that, anyway?)
->Amon Hen.
->Caradhras. You'd better say it right. Its cooler that way. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
->Luthien. Brings to mind "light" and "air"
->Galadriel (hey, even I know how the "dr" is sounded out.)
I think that's enough.

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Minyacirith ]

Lyta_Underhill 03-16-2003 10:10 PM

I don't know if this one has been touched upon, but I rather like Ernil i Pheriannath, for more than just the sounds of it. I'm a hopeless Pippin fancier!
Also, I am probably not the one to hand out Quenya lessons, having had only one, but as I recall, a second syllable gets the stress if there is a double consonant between it and the third syllable, so I always say it "I-SIL-dur" . I guess that would also make it El-ESS-ar, wouldn't it? It has been a little while since I actually looked at this rule, so correct me if I'm wrong!

Been away a little while...good to be here!
Cheers,
Lyta