The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tolkien dozen (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16516)

Galadriel55 03-11-2013 05:44 PM

1. Nienor Niniel
2. Elanor Gamgee
3. Finarfin
4. Finrod Felagund
5. Urwen Lalaith
6. Indis
7. Fili
8. Galadriel
9. Kili
10. Goldberry
11. Celegorm
12. Eowyn

Aganzir 03-11-2013 05:54 PM

1. Nienor Niniel
2. Elanor Gamgee
3. Finarfin
4. Finrod Felagund
5. Urwen Lalaith
6. Indis
7. Fili
8. Galadriel
9. Kili
10. Goldberry
11. Celegorm
12. Eowyn
13. Húrin

Next we'll have

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon

Galadriel55 03-11-2013 05:57 PM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin

You can't go more epic that that. :smokin:

Belegorn 03-12-2013 06:48 AM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon [imprisoned in the Caves of the Forgotten with his Men, when the hills in Aman fell upon them, as the Valar called for divine intervention]

Pervinca Took 03-12-2013 11:45 AM

Good topic! I wonder how epic is epic enough ....

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot (still mighty in old age, defending the body of King Brand)

Aganzir 03-13-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 682113)
Good topic! I wonder how epic is epic enough ....

Up to you. :p

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl

Tuor in Gondolin 03-13-2013 07:51 AM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl

6. Fili and Kili, defending Thorin Oakenshield at the
battle of Five Armies (look for PJ to botch it with gross excess). :rolleyes:

Pervinca Took 03-13-2013 12:38 PM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield

Belegorn 03-13-2013 02:07 PM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield
8. Denethor [going up in flames with the palantir]

Galadriel55 03-14-2013 05:35 AM

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield
8. Denethor
7. Boromir (while single-handedly fighting off two score orcs! And afterwards redeeming himself and etc.)

Pervinca Took 03-14-2013 12:13 PM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield
8. Denethor
9. Boromir
10. Théoden son of Thengel (he felled the black serpent, and roused his people to arms in old age).

Tuor in Gondolin 03-14-2013 02:56 PM

EPIC DEATHS

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield
8. Denethor
9. Boromir
10. Théoden son of Thengel
11. Gil-galad and Elendil die while putting Sauron
out of commission for a few thousand years

Galadriel55 03-14-2013 03:18 PM

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield
8. Denethor
9. Boromir
11. Gil-galad and Elendil
12. Feanor, who doesn't have a deed that's not epic.

Belegorn 03-15-2013 07:42 AM

1. Fingon
2. Fingolfin
3. Ar-Pharazon
4. Dáin II Ironfoot
5. Azaghâl
6. Fili and Kili
7. Thorin Oakenshield
8. Denethor
9. Boromir
11. Gil-galad and Elendil
12. Feanor, who doesn't have a deed that's not epic.
13. Huan [slain by Carcharoth]

Speaking of Epic, how about Epic Kills:

1. Bard [takes out Smaug with a black arrow to the heart]

Aganzir 03-15-2013 10:03 AM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth (trampled Fingolfin)

Tuor in Gondolin 03-15-2013 02:15 PM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dain, heady move dispatching Azog at conclusion of
The Battle of Azanulbizar.

Galadriel55 03-15-2013 02:52 PM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dain
4. Turin - slayed the Father of Dragons

Pervinca Took 03-15-2013 04:06 PM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dain
4. Turin - slayed the Father of Dragons
5. Merry and Eowyn - slew the Witch-King of Angmar

Zigûr 03-16-2013 04:16 AM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf - slew Durin's Bane after a ten-day pursuit and battle

Aganzir 03-16-2013 05:43 AM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum (effectively killed Sauron)

Zigûr 03-16-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 682186)
(effectively killed Sauron)

Love this. Here's the other one I felt I had to contribute from among several ideas:

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand (punched Freca so hard that he died; I don't know if the Professor thought this amusing, but I've always considered it to be one of the most hilarious instances of over-the-top heroic violence in the whole legendarium)

Pervinca Took 03-16-2013 07:48 AM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand
9. Gurthang

Surely killing Túrin Turambar is epic enough in itself, even if a talking sword did it? *

(However, please delete if you don't agree).

(punched Freca so hard that he died; I don't know if the Professor thought this amusing, but I've always considered it to be one of the most hilarious instances of over-the-top heroic violence in the whole legendarium)

It's typical Old Norse humour - I think JRRT would have found it amusing. So is the killing of Golfimbul, I suppose.

* "There he drew forth his sword, that now alone remained to him of all his possessions, and he said, 'Hail Gurthang! No lord or loyalty dost thou know, save the hand that weildeth thee. From no blood wilt thou shrink. Wilt thou therefore take Túrin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly?'

"And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.'

"Then Túrin set the hilts upon the ground, and cast himself upon the point of Gurthang, and the black blade took his life.

"Then they lifted up Túrin, and found that Gurthang had broken asunder."

Zigûr 03-16-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pervinca Took (Post 682189)
It's typical Old Norse humour - I think JRRT would have found it amusing. So is the killing of Golfimbul, I suppose.

Yes indeed, I thought of all the dismemberment in Njal's Saga and the like when I mentioned it. Ooh, and now that you've implied it (sorry if I'm hogging the thread a bit):
EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand
9. Gurthang
10. Bandobras Took (I think we all know the story and the game-invention)

I would also like to register my support for Gurthang as having performed an 'epic kill'.

Galadriel55 03-16-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zigûr (Post 682190)
I would also like to register my support for Gurthang as having performed an 'epic kill'.

Ditto.

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand
9. Gurthang
10. Bandobras Took
11. Glorfindel - killed the Balrog

Pervinca Took 03-16-2013 12:24 PM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand
9. Gurthang
10. Bandobras Took
11. Glorfindel
12. Finrod Felagund - for killing the werewolf that was sent to kill Beren

Quote:

Pheww! And thanks, all.

Tuor in Gondolin 07-14-2013 05:14 PM

EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand
9. Gurthang
10. Bandobras Took
11. Glorfindel
12. Finrod Felagund - for killing the werewolf that was sent to kill Beren
13. Earendil---killing Ancalagon the Black

Places to go on holiday in Middle-earth
1. Gondolin (very tight security measures, be sure to go during the First Age,
flight by Giant Eagle recommended), possibility of major conflicts-please
check ahead.

Legate of Amon Lanc 07-15-2013 07:12 AM

check ahead.
2. Umbar (a lovely spot by the sea, beautiful seaside, luxurious accomodation, exotic markets, and one of the Wonders of the World - the architectonic monument to Ar-Pharazon's victory over Mordor)

Guinevere 07-22-2013 03:14 PM

check ahead.
2. Umbar (a lovely spot by the sea, beautiful seaside, luxurious accomodation, exotic markets, and one of the Wonders of the World - the architectonic monument to Ar-Pharazon's victory over Mordor)
3. Rivendell (Elrond's house is perfect, whether you like food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all.)

Tuor in Gondolin 07-22-2013 04:33 PM

check ahead.
3. Rivendell (Elrond's house is perfect, whether you like food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all.)

4. The Glittering Caves of Aglarond (whether you enjoy marveling at one of the wonders of Middle-earth and spelunking it's recesses, traveling to the fabulous Tower of Orthanc and speculating on its legendary construction, rafting down the Adorn and Angren Rivers to explore Andrast-perhaps you'll glimpse a sight of rumored Pukel-men, relaxing atyour simple yet comfortable hostel near Helm's Deep while viewing the reconstructed Battle of Helm's Deep battlefield, or [for the more adventurous] traveling to the Forest of Dimholt to take one...two...three? steps into The Paths of the Dead---if you dare! Yes, Aglarond has it all).

Legate of Amon Lanc 07-23-2013 11:57 AM

check ahead.
4. The Glittering Caves of Aglarond (whether you enjoy marveling at one of the wonders of Middle-earth and spelunking it's recesses, traveling to the fabulous Tower of Orthanc and speculating on its legendary construction, rafting down the Adorn and Angren Rivers to explore Andrast-perhaps you'll glimpse a sight of rumored Pukel-men, relaxing atyour simple yet comfortable hostel near Helm's Deep while viewing the reconstructed Battle of Helm's Deep battlefield, or [for the more adventurous] traveling to the Forest of Dimholt to take one...two...three? steps into The Paths of the Dead---if you dare! Yes, Aglarond has it all).

5. Lothlórien (warning: visitors may not want to ever come back from their holiday. Also, please pay attention to the following announcement from the customs office regarding imported goods*: "The only evil found in Lothlórien is the one you bring with you!")
*or actually, evils...

Elyna of Rivendell 08-11-2013 01:22 AM

check ahead.
5. Lothlórien (warning: visitors may not want to ever come back from their holiday. Also, please pay attention to the following announcement from the customs office regarding imported goods*: "The only evil found in Lothlórien is the one you bring with you!")
*or actually, evils...

6. The Shire (for those who like to eat, relax and alo for those who need a little quiet time. Good for those with small children.)

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-05-2013 04:22 AM

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
6. The Shire (for those who like to eat, relax and alo for those who need a little quiet time. Good for those with small children.)

7. Erebor&Dale (the wonders of craftsmanship and architecture, combined with excursion to the legendary places such as the remains of the hidden back door, and the tomb of Thorin Oakenshield, plus you can buy incredible masterwork if not magical items at local markets)

Tuor in Gondolin 02-16-2014 09:33 AM

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
7. Erebor&Dale (the wonders of craftsmanship and architecture, combined with excursion to the legendary places such as the remains of the hidden back door, and the tomb of Thorin Oakenshield, plus you can buy incredible masterwork if not magical items at local markets)

8. Princess Arwen Line--- Embark at the Grey Havens after stopping by Tower Hills for roadside stanbds featuring Farmer Maggot's Gourmet Mushrooms. Shore leave at Andrast to visit ruins of Pukel-Men. Sail up the Great River to the Falls of Rauros. On the way back stop at Minas Tirith for scheduled tour attendance at King Elassar's weekly audience. If signed up for southern tour leg sail past Far Harad for nighttime sky watching (where the stars are different).

Andsigil 02-16-2014 09:40 AM

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
8. Princess Arwen Line--- Embark at the Grey Havens after stopping by Tower Hills for roadside stanbds featuring Farmer Maggot's Gourmet Mushrooms. Shore leave at Andrast to visit ruins of Pukel-Men. Sail up the Great River to the Falls of Rauros. On the way back stop at Minas Tirith for scheduled tour attendance at King Elassar's weekly audience. If signed up for southern tour leg sail past Far Harad for nighttime sky watching (where the stars are different).

9. The Blue Mountains: Catch up on your skiing and visit the dwarven curio shops. Enjoy the bucolic, slower paced life, with settlements of men, elves, and dwarves all nearby. The Shire is only a short travel away.

Pervinca Took 02-16-2014 10:15 AM

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
9. The Blue Mountains: Catch up on your skiing and visit the dwarven curio shops. Enjoy the bucolic, slower paced life, with settlements of men, elves, and dwarves all nearby. The Shire is only a short travel away.

10. Rohan: If pony-trekking through the Shire is a little tame and leisurely for you, come for a horse-riding break in the grasslands of Rohan. Ride the noblest and most beautiful beasts this side of the Sundering Seas, with expert training from the Eored. Take in the White Mountains, canter by the mouths of the Entwash, gallop to the Hornburg, and return to great hospitality each evening: heroic tales, ale, mead-tasting and hearty banquet fare in the resplendent hall under the banner of the white stallion.

Tuor in Gondolin 02-21-2014 01:02 PM

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
10. Rohan: If pony-trekking through the Shire is a little tame and leisurely for you, come for a horse-riding break in the grasslands of Rohan. Ride the noblest and most beautiful beasts this side of the Sundering Seas, with expert training from the Eored. Take in the White Mountains, canter by the mouths of the Entwash, gallop to the Hornburg, and return to great hospitality each evening: heroic tales, ale, mead-tasting and hearty banquet fare in the resplendent hall under the banner of the white stallion.

11. The Great Middle-Earth Paragliding Race-1st Age version:
(Getting clearance from the valar to enter the race is a must)
Start at Taniquetil. Glide across to the Mountains of Mithrim. Beware of dragons and Giant Eagles as you then coast from Beleriand to Mount Gundabad. Perhaps the most dangerous leg is Gundabad to Caradhras (esp. as the race is held in winter). Caradhras to the Lonely Mountain and then to, you guessed it, Mount Doom. (Warning! There are said to be strange wrinkled reptile-like giant birds who like to interfere with participants). Ride shore winds across to Andrast before the final challenging leg back to Amon Uilos.

Galadriel55 11-24-2018 05:41 PM

Since it seems like the Quiz room is being revived, I thought I'll pull out this more low-stake game.

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
Start at Taniquetil. Glide across to the Mountains of Mithrim. Beware of dragons and Giant Eagles as you then coast from Beleriand to Mount Gundabad. Perhaps the most dangerous leg is Gundabad to Caradhras (esp. as the race is held in winter). Caradhras to the Lonely Mountain and then to, you guessed it, Mount Doom. (Warning! There are said to be strange wrinkled reptile-like giant birds who like to interfere with participants). Ride shore winds across to Andrast before the final challenging leg back to Amon Uilos.
12. The Morgul Vale Historical Tour: for all history nerds out there! Learn about the founding and history of Minas Ithil and how it became Minas Morgul. Climb the famous steps braved by Frodo and his companions in the quest of the Ring. See with your own eyes the true majesty of the places you read about in books! [in small font: warning: travelers may grow extra limbs as result of toxic radiation levels. Bring your own water, local supplies still contaminated. Remaining in close proximity to the tower for prolonged periods of time has biological effects similar to intense chemotherapy. We are not responsible for loss of health or life as result of the tour.]

Pervinca Took 11-25-2018 06:02 AM

check ahead.
*or actually, evils...
12. The Morgul Vale Historical Tour: for all history nerds out there! Learn about the founding and history of Minas Ithil and how it became Minas Morgul. Climb the famous steps braved by Frodo and his companions in the quest of the Ring. See with your own eyes the true majesty of the places you read about in books! [in small font: warning: travelers may grow extra limbs as result of toxic radiation levels. Bring your own water, local supplies still contaminated. Remaining in close proximity to the tower for prolonged periods of time has biological effects similar to intense chemotherapy. We are not responsible for loss of health or life as result of the tour.]
13. Gardens and Fountains of Ithilien: unwind amidst the 'dishevelled dryad loveliness' of this beautiful, 'off the beaten track' resort. Enjoy the warm, southern climate; hear the tinkling and whoosh of the many falls, small and great, and wander peacefully amongst anemone and asphodel. Spot wild rabbits gambolling amidst the thyme and sage. The hotel restaurant serves excellent stew (recipe patented by S Gamgee of the Shire) and exquisite local cheeses and wines. Meet the local Rangers, take archery lessons with Anborn, or even attend Prince Faramir's weekly lectures on the art and history of Gondor, Numenor and beyond! There is plenty of everything ... except the sea ... but watch out for Dol Amroth and its famous swan-knights in next season's brochure!

Pervinca Took 11-25-2018 06:14 AM

How about: characters connected with an adjective, as in ' --------the Something?' (We might have to invent some as we approach 13! :D But maybe not). (Could also be extended to things ... forests, etc).

1. Meriadoc the Magnificent

Galadriel55 11-25-2018 01:46 PM

1. Meriadoc the Magnificent
2. Hurin the Tall