The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

Glirdan 07-25-2006 03:13 PM

I suggest, if you want to find out more about that, to create a thread yourself or do a search and see if you can find a thread that has been previously started on that subject. However, if you start a thread, some of the older members might include a link to a topic that has disappeared for quite some time.

Estelyn Telcontar 07-25-2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smaug reborn
And yet as far as I know, no-one has ever attempted to continue the stories of characters beyond the ring stories. This might be ignorance on my part? As in its happened and I haven’t noticed, or it could be that someone’s protecting the rights like nothing you've ever seen?

The Tolkien Estate, basically his family, does hold the copyrights to his works, so the only permissable continuation of Tolkien stories is in fan fictions that are non-commercial. There are some good stories on our own Barrow-Downs Fan Fiction Site and on other Tolkien sites - the quality of fan fictions is varied, but you'll find some that are well worth reading.

If you don't feel ready to write in an RP story, you might enjoy reading some of them first. Whatever you choose, I hope you'll enjoy yourself here on the Downs!

Smaug reborn 07-25-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
The Tolkien Estate, basically his family, does hold the copyrights to his works, so the only permissable continuation of Tolkien stories is in fan fictions that are non-commercial.

Ahhh, thought it might be something like that, after all, it's just about the only truly great trilogy I can think of that hasn't had several inferior attempts at sequels written.... I knew it couldn't be entirely out of respect!

I don't think I'll ever attempt it myself, though I will most definitely pop over and read some of the contributions on here! ;) I think the most I'm ever likely to do is the required "Inspired by....." type quote when my book goes global... :rolleyes:

Though I'd mucho love to read further stories of middle earth in print, I don't think I'd like the idea of inferior quality, and since the man himself is dead.... well :(

Thanks once again for the welcome... there's some GREAT stuff on this forum!

TheBlackWizard 07-25-2006 07:58 PM

Hi.

I just signed in a couple of minutes ago. I've been visiting this forum for a while to try to see if it's worth becoming a member. Well, as you can see, it was. Just for the cue,
anyone from TheTolkienForum may know me as Morgoththe1. (whadda toungtwister :D )

Gil-Galad 07-26-2006 07:09 AM

welcome smaugthereborn and theblackwizard! i hope you have fun among us downers at the downs

eveseh 08-08-2006 09:47 AM

hay everyone am eve and i just found dis site today and am glad to be here,hope i have fun :D

Rune Son of Bjarne 08-08-2006 10:14 AM

Greetings eveseh

Welcome to our ancient burial site. It may be cold, clamy and full of disturbing acquaintencis, but it is full of fun. Be sure to check out the Quiz Room.

eveseh 08-08-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Greetings eveseh

Welcome to our ancient burial site. It may be cold, clamy and full of disturbing acquaintencis, but it is full of fun. Be sure to check out the Quiz Room.

ok i will thanks
and thanks for ya sweet welcome :D

Mirkgirl 08-08-2006 10:38 AM

Not really new...

... but as I was never too active and it's been a while since I was last spotted in the downs.

So, Im Mirky, name doesn't relate to Legolas. 21 years old, business studies student in German, originally from Bulgaria... Tolkien fan since I remember myself - even if it may not be so long (read LotR when I was about 9ish). I like to read - Terry Pratchett, Michael Chriton, David Morrell, Douglas Adams to name a few... No really exciting hobbies, mainly due to like no time between uni, job and some RL for taste.

That's enough for now, looking forward to meeting the newer of you and seeing the 'old' faces again.

Volo 08-08-2006 03:32 PM

Hi!

So, I'm Volo (whoever that is).
I'm still not sure did I go to the right place, people seem to know everything about Tolkien and it seems useless to write anything. I can be fun to read stuff, just don't wait many posts from me.

And to say the truth, I thought death would be more fun :D

Thinlómien 08-08-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volo
And to say the truth, I thought death would be more fun :D

More fun? How dare you! :D

(Don't worry, dear fellow 'downers; I kind of know him from RL - the second 'downer I've converted to our rows...)

Welcome, anyway. :) Enjoy your death.

And welcome to eveseh and Mirkgirl too.

Rune Son of Bjarne 08-08-2006 03:54 PM

So Volo is one of Lommy's minions!

Interesting. . . .

Nogrod 08-08-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien
(Don't worry, dear fellow 'downers; I kind of know him from RL - the second 'downer I've converted to our rows...)

I guess I've seen him too as I went to get Lommy from the camp... Nice looking guy he is - so truly welcome to this place of the dead!

And a warm welcome to eveseh and Mirkgirl too. Enjoy your stay in this world!

Thinlómien 08-08-2006 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
So Volo is one of Lommy's minions!

Of course. And you're just envious, Rune dear... :D Does Nogrod count as my minion? If yes, I'd be greatly intrigued by the idea... ;)

Volo 08-08-2006 05:32 PM

Now this got scary... Thinlómien, is Nogrod your sister?

Thinlómien 08-08-2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Now this got scary... Thinlómien, is Nogrod your sister?

:D :D No, he isn't. He's my father. :p

Nogrod 08-08-2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

He's my father.
Yay!
But hopefully not so scary anyway. :D

Have fun here!

PS. See you on Sunday...

Volo 08-08-2006 05:43 PM

Wow :O Now I really think you have an interesting family (not that I thought something different before this). Well, thanks! Nice to "meet" you :)

But how did you answer this thing so quickly?

Nogrod 08-08-2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

But how did you answer this thing so quickly?
I happened to hang over Lommy's shoulder as she wrote her answer... :rolleyes:

Gil-Galad 08-08-2006 06:24 PM

Oh joy, new meat for the blender.

welcome Volo, Mirkgirl and Eve!

Nogrod 08-08-2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil-Galad

Not to talk of the mincers... :cool:

Thinlómien 08-09-2006 02:54 AM

Quote:

Thinlómien, is Nogrod your sister?

I must say, Nogrod must be quite youthful. Before this he has been considered as my boyfriend (;)) and my brother...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noogles-Googles
Not to talk of the mincers...

Oh, you're being so kind to little newcomers... :rolleyes: Fortunately they're already dead. :p

Glirdan 08-09-2006 07:34 AM

Quote:

Oh, you're being so kind to little newcomers... :rolleyes: Fortunately they're already dead. :p
But that's what's fun!! We get to drink their blood!! :rolleyes: Welcome all you newcomers!! Enjoy death!

Volo 08-09-2006 12:33 PM

So even here people know about jänesyys (whatever that is)

LadyLúthien 08-11-2006 03:24 AM

I'm not really a new member, I've been gone for a reeeaallly loooong time. But I'm back now! Hopefully for a while. :)

Trotter 08-11-2006 12:33 PM

Hello all,

I am a new member here, Trotter's the name, and I look forward to talkin' with you all!

Thinlómien 08-11-2006 02:07 PM

A warm welcome to you, Trotter. Enjoy your death. :)

Valier 08-11-2006 05:51 PM

Welcome all new members!!! May all your corpses rot here forever!! (that's a good thing) :p :D

Glirdan 08-11-2006 06:09 PM

What she (^) said. :D :p

Gil-Galad 08-11-2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glirdan
What she (^) said. :D :p

What he said

Gandalf_the _white 08-12-2006 01:48 PM

Welcome all new comers, may you all have long and happy deaths here

Arwen Evenstar6 08-16-2006 03:07 PM

Hi

Hi I just joined today and thought I'd introduce myself I'm Arwen Evenstar6 you can call me Arwen Or even Audra if you want I love to make new friends so if you want you can pm me!

Oddwen 08-16-2006 06:32 PM

Yay, another Michigander! Welcome! :D

TomTheBomb 08-17-2006 07:23 PM

Hi everyone!

I am kind of new to Lord of the Rings. I have seen the movies but haven't finished reading all the books. My sister said this was a great site to learn more about LotR and so I am trying it out.

Gil-Galad 08-17-2006 07:36 PM

welcome Tom! and enjoy yourself here!

Rune Son of Bjarne 08-17-2006 07:40 PM

Yes, enjoy your death here in the Barrow.

are your sister a member ?

TomTheBomb 08-18-2006 09:13 AM

Yes, my sister is a member. After some unfortunate incidents like not realizing a thread has more than one page and other things like that she hasn't posted in a very long time but reads a lot. :rolleyes:

Rune Son of Bjarne 08-18-2006 09:31 AM

oh my. . . well haven't we all had unfortunate incidents, I know I have.

TomTheBomb's sister please start posting again. . .

I don't think I shall find any pease in my death before I know who she is and she has started posting again. . . well maybe I will, but you get the picture.

Leia Tinuviel 08-18-2006 08:54 PM

Greetings, all! I am Leia Tinuviel. I am already a member of the Barrow-Downs Fan-Fiction site, so I thought that it might be nice to join here too. I have been crazy about Tolkien ever since I saw the movies for the first time a couple of years ago, and even more so a little while later after I read the book. It is my absolute favorite!!! My favorite movies too!!! Merry and Pippin are my favorite characters, and I absolutly love Hobbits!!!
I am homeschooled and going into eighth grade this year, and hope to someday be an author. God Bless!
L.T.

Gil-Galad 08-19-2006 10:24 AM

Welcome Leia, enjoy yourself here, you'll fit right in, we have many hobbit-lovers amongst us.