The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Members - Introduce Yourself Here (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=2941)

Parmastahir 02-18-2006 08:59 AM

Hi Estelyn -

While I don't collect the movie-related calendars (with a very few exceptions), I am aware of A BUNCH of them. Re any calendars from Germany, you can do an advanced search ebay using the keywords "Herr der Ringe kalender" or "Tolkien kalender" and searching either Germany (specifically) or Worldwide (generally). You will certainly find many LotR movie calendars (or kalenders!) there. They may, as you note, not be particularly unique but simply German editions of the 'standard' New Line calendars.

Thanks for the comments and your welcome. I have met any number of fellow collectors on other boards and look forward to doing the same here. I had seen The Collection Grows thread and skimmed through it. I will take a longer look and post a reply there, also.

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir

Salacia Deloresista 02-18-2006 01:36 PM

Hey! I'm new to the forum world, but I'm a fast learner. I'm not very good at naming things, so this one is a rip off from a Terry Pratchett book. Call me Sally. It's easier to remember (and spell).

Fantasy is my life. Apart from Tolkien, some other favorites include Terry Pratchett, Tamora Pierce, Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, Orson Scott Card (although he's more sci-fi than fantasy)......the list goes on, but I'll spare you and my ability to remember names. Lets just say it's a long list.

Home is Wexford, PA, but I'm currently living in Giessen, Germany (a smaller city north of Frankfurt). I'm here with the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program through AFS, and so far it's been the most amazing experience of my life! I'll be home next August and reunited once again with my overflowing bookcase.

Not much more to say other than wOOt, I'm excited to join!

Nogrod 02-18-2006 01:52 PM

A warm welcome to Glaurung, Parmastahir and Salacia Deloresista!

Hope you enjoy your time here! I've been here for about a month now, and am totally immersed. ;)

Glirdan 02-18-2006 03:04 PM

Welcome Salacia and Parmastahir to our humble abode. May your bodies rot and be devoured by magots. :D

Roa_Aoife 02-18-2006 03:20 PM

Hi, Sally! I'm sure you'll have a great time at the 'Downs.

Estelyn Telcontar 02-18-2006 04:23 PM

Welcome to the Downs - and to Germany, Sally! I hope you continue to enjoy your time in this lovely country! You shouldn't have trouble finding "Herr der Ringe" fans who share your interest in LotR.

Gil-Galad 02-18-2006 05:20 PM

welcome Salacia and enjoy yourself!

Kath 02-18-2006 07:16 PM

Hey everyone, nice to see all these new members appearing! Enjoy your deaths guys. :D

Elnimara 02-18-2006 07:23 PM

Greetings everyone! I'm El... I've been a Tolkien fan since 7th grade. I'm ashamed to say that the movies are really what got me into it, but I'm now a dedicated, faithful, loyal...um... *gets out thesaurus* truehearted, steadfast, Sam-like, devoted, true, committed Tolkienite, and I shall be for ever! I would swear the oath Fëanor swore if I knew the words.

I'm a freshman in a high school full of Leggy-boppers and LotR-haters. *shudder* Legolas is my favourite character. Before you come to any nasty conclusions, that's book Legolas! I am not an Orlando Bloom fan!

Although I only recently joined this brilliant community, I have been watching you all for a long time. Since I can rarely think of anything witty or smart to say, I might not be very active, but know that I am watching you! :p

-El

Roa_Aoife 02-18-2006 07:31 PM

Glad to have you aboard El! From what you've written, I have to say you'll do just fine here. Go ahead and feel free to post. We won't bite.... well, unless you join the werewolf games..... :D

Kath 02-18-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

We won't bite.... well, unless you join the werewolf games.....
And even then you're more likely to choke to death on a treefrog ;)

Welcome Elnimara since my message missed you! Though I'm a little scared to find we have another stalker in our midst!

Gil-Galad 02-18-2006 07:45 PM

welcome El, our Admitted Stalker... gald you finnally decided to mingle, enjoy yourself!

Glirdan 02-19-2006 11:27 AM

Welcome El and enjoy yourself here! :D

Elnimara 02-19-2006 01:59 PM

Lovely. My very first post and already I've earned myself a title: the Admitted Stalker! I feel everso special. Makes me feel like I belong... Thanks for the warm welcome, especially considering corpses are usually so cold. :)

Thinlómien 02-20-2006 03:27 AM

Welcome El!

Be *ahem* courageous and participate! You won't die to that! (See, you're dead already; you died the day you joined the 'downs.)

Nimrodel_9 02-28-2006 04:14 PM

Welcome all newcomers! :D

Just a little bit longer... I shall return!:D

Telchar 03-03-2006 03:21 AM

Sorry

Hello everybody!

I would like to apologize, to everyone, for my absence the past month. And the inconvinience this may have brought you.

I have had an incredible battle with my ISP and been without internet access for more that 2 weeks - yrk!

As an aftermath, quite a workload had build itself up on my desk, which needed my attention.

In the same period, has been a phase of moving into my new office, together with my new coworkers,. This involved quite alot for painting walls, floors. Decorating, buying funiture, establishing a new kitchen. And getting my IT equipment up and running.

Today I can finally say that things are close to asuming normallity ;)

With that off my chest, I would like to wish you all a nice weekend.

Cheers T

The Saucepan Man 03-03-2006 07:29 AM

Glad to hear that things are getting back to normal for you, Telch, and welcome back. :)

I am going to arrange for this thread to be merged with the newcomers/welcome thread, as that is the best place for announcements such as this.

Legolas in spandex 03-03-2006 09:55 PM

Hello people of this site!!! Welcome me if you dare and I say hello to all fellow newbies!! Um, I am a fan of Tolkien but I'm not a senior fan, so do not expect tons of freakily awesome LotR info from me yet. I am still trying to make it through some books, and I am enjoying myself in the reading process. So, anywhosit, hey. :D :smokin:

Gil-Galad 03-03-2006 09:57 PM

welcome Legolas in spandex! hopefully your experiance here will help you with the tolkien universe!

woah that sounds os formal of me... creepy

Elatan 03-04-2006 08:33 PM

Hello to all wights

Greetings. I am a newly deceased Tolkien aficionado and I look forward to a long repose among my ghostly brethen.

I have been a fan of Tolkien since I was six years old, and I have read most of the standard books concerning Middle-Earth, including the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and Silm. I have always been fascinated by how Tolkien makes his world come to life, describing in detail the history and geography of all his imaginary lands. You almost get the impression that these stories are a chronicle of events that happened in the distant past.

I'm very glad to have found this site and I look forward to some interesting discussions. Elen sila lumenn omentielvo.

Elatan

Glirdan 03-04-2006 08:43 PM

Welcome Elatan and Legolas to our humble abode and a welcome back to Telchar. May you enjoy/continue to enjoy your death here. :D

JennyHallu 03-04-2006 08:53 PM

Hello Legolas and Elatan!!!

My advice, pick someone friendly to haunt... :D

Gil-Galad 03-05-2006 01:55 PM

welcome an enjoy yourself Elatan, and if you must haunt someone, try not to haunt me, i don't get mad about it, i get stabby.

JennyHallu 03-05-2006 04:23 PM

I DID specify friendly...

Nogrod 03-05-2006 04:53 PM

Really a warm welcome to you Elnimara, Legolas in spandex and Elatan! You'll be just fine, believe me. And addicted, believe me in that too...

Have fun, join the games especially, they are great fun. So towards the Green Dragon and Tol-in-Gaurhoth junior to begin with! And learn & contribute to the discussions going on!

I shouldn't be one welcoming Telchar, with over 2000 posts, but then again, you won't bite me if I will? :p

Thinlómien 03-06-2006 06:54 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with Nogrod welcoming Telchar... ;)

Anyway, welcome back, Telchar!

And a warm welcome to all newbies!

Legolas in spandex 03-06-2006 07:08 PM

I thank all people for their warm welcomes.

Nogrod 03-12-2006 07:35 AM

And really folks: there is a new Werewolf game starting and we would need a couple of people to join still! Come and try. It's more fun than you believe. Nerve-stressing and mind-boggling.

Look at the Admin thread WWJ VI, Return of the Midsomer Mawlin: kill me again!

Nimrodel_9 03-13-2006 03:59 PM

Hey everyone, and welcome all newcomers!

I'm just waiting to get our internet hooked up. I shall return! :D

Nimmy

Caranlondien 03-13-2006 04:34 PM

I never introduced myself! So, here goes...

First off, I'm a girl (my profile is just a Monty Python quote; sorry, I know it's confusing!). I'm a freshman in college, and I love everything Tolkien's written (although my brother is far more the expert on such matters than I am). And I'm quite looking forward to the game of Werewolf I've signed up for!

I guess I don't really know what else to say. Thanks, everyone, for being so nice and friendly! :D

Kath 03-13-2006 04:38 PM

Well it's nice to have you here Caran! I believe we're both in the same game, so I look forward to playing with you.

Gil-Galad 03-13-2006 05:16 PM

Welcome Caran and enjoy yourself on the downs

Nimmy(spice), i hope you get back soon, the absence of you is unbearable

Hookbill the Goomba 03-16-2006 12:51 PM

Welcome all.

It's always nice to see Monty Python Fans around, Caranlondien! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ba/Welcome.jpg

Nimrodel_9 03-25-2006 04:07 PM

Hello everyone and greetings newcomers! Still waiting to the internet hooked up at my house... grrr... But before I know it, I'll be back. ;)

Nimmy :D

JennyHallu 03-25-2006 04:47 PM

Welcome Caran! I've been enjoying reading your WW game...You have already proved a great addition to this community! (And they're very very welcoming...just look at my join date ;))

Nogrod 03-25-2006 05:57 PM

Caranlodien, you are doing great!

Welcome!

And as Hookbill said, there's always room for one more friend of Monty Python's! There surely is room for everyone, but MP -friends surely are close to my heart...

Looking forwards to meet you around.

Dairym 03-30-2006 06:48 PM

I suppose I'd better introduce myself...

Hi!
I read Lord of the Rings the year the first movie came out--and, of course, was hooked. Hm... I have read all of the basics and some unrelated Tolkien stories... The History of Middle Earth volumes are on my list of to-reads. I am a girl (if there was any doubt ;) ) and I love having alter egos.

I came over from TORC to try the RPing here. I'd rather lurk than post, but I'm trying to break that habit. Dunno how often I'll be around...we'll see.

Excelsior!
~Dai

Gil-Galad 03-30-2006 08:05 PM

welcome Dairym, i am the ever-loveable Gil-Galad of the downs at your service m'dear

:smokin:

JennyHallu 03-30-2006 08:17 PM

Hey, welcome to the Downs, Dairym! Glad to have you!

I think I have seen you in the Green Dragon, and been impressed with your posting and clear writing style. If you are interested in a somewhat slower paced and more involved Inn setting, please stop by the Mead Hall in Rohan. There are fewer people, so it's a bit less frenetic, but the writing standards are pretty high right now, especially with the awesome group we have involved! Lurk for a bit and see if you're interested!