The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tol-in-Gaurhoth (Isle of Werewolves) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11911)

Kath 12-18-2005 06:09 PM

Alright then I apologise. I assumed it was 2am so didn't get back on today to vote.

Meneltarmacil 12-18-2005 09:12 PM

I am on US Eastern Time and I have school, so I will not be posting until about 5 and a half hours after the next phase starts. So please don't think I'm just being silent.

Anguirel 12-19-2005 02:12 AM

Awfully sorry about the time confusion Kath and others. Days and Nights now return to (usually) normal length.

However, I will be somewhat late to post the beginning of Night 2 tomorrow-probably doing so at about 5pm GMT-thus giving you a few extra hours to vote.

So far this has been a joy to read-everyone's keeping to their wolvish characters excellently.

EDIT: Another blunder. I mean the beginning of Day 3 and the end of Night 2-ie the second devouring-will be posted a tad late.

Rune Son of Bjarne 12-19-2005 06:55 AM

I dont think I will be able to post until around 11 pm GMT.

Anguirel 12-19-2005 07:09 AM

Rather a worrying quantity of those I need names from haven't been in touch and it's in theory an hour till the end of the Day. Do make haste; I can postpone by another hour but any later and I'll have to call on poor Cailin again to jump into the breach.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 12-19-2005 09:24 AM

I have school this evening (our class is going to theatre) and I don't know how soon I can get back from there. Then of course, I'd like to take a nap and go to school again the next morning, so you'll be seeing me quite little toNight. I should have a few hours before the closing of the voting, but I certainly try to get online before it, too.

WaynetheGoblin 12-20-2005 06:37 AM

i will tell you now that i will be gone 6 hours a day.

mormegil 12-21-2005 11:06 AM

I will be around tonight but due to a recent "mini-promotion" at work I will be posting less than is my wont during this night phase.

Farael 12-21-2005 07:25 PM

I must be quick as I'm already late... I won't be around for quite a few hours now, but I should be back before the voting is done. Just to let you know.

Farael 12-22-2005 05:09 AM

Idea!

I should have posted this before, but I have been keeping a bit of a log of my thoughts every night. Writing helps me organize my ideas so I figured I'd keep them just in case I can go back to them later on. Still, if anyone else is keeping logs, it might be quite fun to post them after the game is over. I'm sure mine will be full of wrong suspicions but if anyone is interested the two rules I set for my log is that
-Nothing is deleted, even if I'm proven awfully wrong
-Even the most insignificant idea is worth writing, you never know when a slight suspicion could turn into a vote

Just give me your thoughts on this, for fun's sake I guess.

Gurthang 12-22-2005 10:46 AM

I don't personally keep notes of my own, but those who do usually give them at the end of the game. It's rather fun to see who had it right towards the beginning and who was 100% certain and was way off. We already know I was 73% certain and was way off! :D

So yes, you're welcome to post you notes/log at the end of the game. Usually people just finish conversation about the game in that individual game thread once it has played to completion.

Anguirel 12-22-2005 03:16 PM

Chaps, I think we can talk about this later. But I do suggest keeping any notes you make, so we can enjoy them at the end of all things.

For now, back to sleeping or killing!

dancing spawn of ungoliant 12-22-2005 03:45 PM

A question

Are we going to have a break for Christmas? If so, I'd like to know when.

Meneltarmacil 12-22-2005 03:49 PM

As stated earlier, I will be gone from December 25-28 and will return the 29th. However, Winter Break for my school has officially started (today was the last school day) so tomorrow I will probably be able to post the whole time rather than being tied to a certain portion of the game.

Anguirel 12-22-2005 03:59 PM

dancing spawn, yep, we'll observe Gaurhothmas.

Night 4 will begin at 2:00 GMT tomorrow and end at 2:00 GMT Christmas Eve. Day 5 will then last till 2pm GMT Boxing Day. That makes the whole of Christmas and half of Boxing Day days of rest; and if people want the later part of Boxing Day they needn't post in early Night 5.

If the game is still going on the 28th (quite likely) then I'll ask Cailin to take up my tools and finish the job, as I'll be in a remote Irish castle, not unlike Tol-in-Gaurhoth's Tower itself, and about as low on internet access...

Farael 12-23-2005 10:54 PM

Sorry friends but something I ate has... disagreed with my stomach. I won't stay up tonight, hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better

Gurthang 12-24-2005 12:33 PM

Tol-in-Gaurhoth Sub-Forum?

Well, that was a brilliant game. I don't know if I'll be in the next or not, might depend on it's starting date.

But now I've got a pretty crazy idea, it doesn't have to do a lot with the games themselves, more toward the threads. I'm sure that at least Saucepan will read this and if he thinks its a good idea, then he'll probably pull some strings to get it done.

So we have, at the least, twenty threads specifically for Tol-in-Gaurhoth.

15 WW game threads (including this thread)
2 WWJ game threads
WWJ set-up thread
At least two 'pick-a-team' type threads

What if we put all the Tol-in-Gaurhoth threads in a sub-forum? I know I've tried to go back and look at the old games, but some are rather hard to find. It takes a good three or four searches to pull up all of the games. It would be a lot easier to get at them if they were all there right in front of us in one forum. I don't really know how much work it actually takes to put up a sub-forum, much less move all the threads, but I think it would be a pretty awesome way to have the old games displayed if anyone wanted some interesting reading. So anybody like the idea? Dislike it? Moderators want to shoot me for suggesting more work? ;)

Oddwen 12-24-2005 08:14 PM

...Or maybe move the completed games to Elvenhome?

Kuruharan 12-24-2005 10:09 PM

For those who might be interested, here is the score up till now (not counting WWJ).

(Since we recently had some role reversal, I'll use the phrase "The Three" for the you know whos.)

The Three have won 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, and 14 for a total of ten wins.

The Ordos have won 4, 6, 8, 12, and 15 for a total of five.

The Black Beornings have won squat for a total of naught.

We Downers definitely seem to be better at sneaking about and underhanded skull duggery as the ordos have yet to win two games running.

At least, at this moment, they have a foundation to build on.

Lhunardawen 12-26-2005 01:49 AM

Quote:

We Downers definitely seem to be better at sneaking about and underhanded skull duggery as the ordos have yet to win two games running.
Perhaps if the next game(s) would also be switched...

Farael 12-26-2005 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Perhaps if the next game(s) would also be switched...

Or maybe we could try even new roles? say, as Orcs might have been 'created' from tortured elves, perhaps a party of orcs got into an elven town? then we'd have maybe Eol as the cobbler, Glorfindel as the ranger, Elrond as the hunter and Galadriel as the seer?

Just thinking out loud here, but let me know what you guys think!

Lhunardawen 12-26-2005 04:07 AM

The werewolves (almost) always win. So if we keep the werewolves ordinary a few more games, the Ordos will have a better chance catching up with the Three Stoogies. :D

the guy who be short 12-26-2005 07:02 AM

So...

*TGWBS takes a peek around the thread*

...When is the next game starting? I have an exam soon, which traditionally means I join a WW game. :D

Kuruharan 12-26-2005 08:29 AM

Quote:

The werewolves (almost) always win. So if we keep the werewolves ordinary a few more games, the Ordos will have a better chance catching up with the Three Stoogies.
I don't think you're looking at this quite right. The issue (if you think it is an issue) is that we tend to be better as the Three than as Ordos (whether the Ordos be villagers or werewolves). Just making the werewolves ordinary for a few more games will not fix the "issue" at hand. It is just window dressing. The heart of the game is three conspirators vs. everybody else. The context (or if you prefer "the chrome") doesn't really matter to the true dynamic of the game. What that does is make people want to read it for the story.

Quote:

When is the next game starting?
Hopefully, after the New Year.

Eonwe 12-26-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuru
Hopefully, after the New Year.

my sentiments exactly!

edited at some point

AbercrombieOfRohan 12-26-2005 07:33 PM

Quote:

Or maybe we could try even new roles? say, as Orcs might have been 'created' from tortured elves, perhaps a party of orcs got into an elven town? then we'd have maybe Eol as the cobbler, Glorfindel as the ranger, Elrond as the hunter and Galadriel as the seer?
Keeping in line with the whole idea of role reversal:

I think the newest one should be The Inklings vs. the Science and Math(s) Department. *mock horror* The location would clearly be Oxford, and other than that I'll leave it up to those who know more about Tolkien's peers than I.

And who's modding the next game?

Farael 12-26-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
Keeping in line with the whole idea of role reversal:

I think the newest one should be The Inklings vs. the Science and Math(s) Department. *mock horror* The location would clearly be Oxford, and other than that I'll leave it up to those who know more about Tolkien's peers than I.

And who's modding the next game?

Go Science :mad: You 'Arts' students have to write an essay and cry like a baby... well, even though they are shorter, I have to write (usually more than one) pre-lab exercise, do the lab, write a lab report and if that wasn't enough, a lab exam!!! [/END_RANT]

Thank you

AbercrombieOfRohan 12-26-2005 09:13 PM

Please pardon! I meant no offense, in fact I didn't (and don't) expect it to be taken seriously by anyone. It was just a new twist on our old game.

Farael 12-27-2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
Please pardon! I meant no offense, in fact I didn't (and don't) expect it to be taken seriously by anyone. It was just a new twist on our old game.

None taken! I was just joking around.... every course of studies has its challenges, but as most of my friends are taking arts, I get to rant against them :P no offense meant by my rant either!!

Lhunardawen 12-27-2005 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I don't think you're looking at this quite right. The issue (if you think it is an issue) is that we tend to be better as the Three than as Ordos (whether the Ordos be villagers or werewolves). Just making the werewolves ordinary for a few more games will not fix the "issue" at hand. It is just window dressing. The heart of the game is three conspirators vs. everybody else. The context (or if you prefer "the chrome") doesn't really matter to the true dynamic of the game. What that does is make people want to read it for the story.

I was just trying to be a conspiracy theorist. ;) Maybe we work better as villains (in the perspective of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth), whatever the explanation for that is. In any case, perhaps it's worth a try.

Azaelia of Willowbottom 12-28-2005 04:38 PM

I miss werewolf...It's been too long since I played! Conveniently, my schedule has recently opened up quite a bit, and that allows me to participate in the next game!

So sign me up, please!

Formendacil 12-29-2005 02:06 AM

Have we got a Mod yet?

'Twould be foolish to sign up for a game that nobody wants to spearhead...

Gil-Galad 12-29-2005 04:02 PM

well like i said, i got a hybrid game planned, though it might need alot of people, but i won't get it ready till the new year when i'm less busy with my drama...hopefully...

Kath 12-29-2005 04:07 PM

So it looks like we need someone to volunteer. What happened to that old list of people who wanted to do it, it had got pretty long as I recall. Perhaps if we offered the game to one of them?

Formendacil 12-29-2005 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kath
So it looks like we need someone to volunteer. What happened to that old list of people who wanted to do it, it had got pretty long as I recall. Perhaps if we offered the game to one of them?

Actually....

I was on that list. And I was selfishly sitting here, hoping to mod the next round after this... but in hindsight I begin to think that maybe I shall take a crack at it now.

Okay, it's official:

I, Michael A. Joosten, officially known to the Barrow-Downs as the Lord Formendacil, do herewith put forward my name to moderate the 16th game of Tol-in-Gaurhoth.

Meneltarmacil 12-29-2005 05:06 PM

And I would like to participate in the next game, whoever is running it. (my occupation will depend on the situation we're in)

Kath 12-29-2005 05:22 PM

Guilting people into things is fun :p I'll have to miss this game though what with dratted revision.

Cailín 12-29-2005 05:31 PM

Oh! I would love to join your game, Formendacil, if you'll allow me. :)

Though I feel guilty already, I have not played since the phantom's game - in which I died rather prematurely - and am suffering from major withdrawal symptoms.

Azaelia of Willowbottom 12-29-2005 05:55 PM

Oh good, now we have a mod, and so I can officially sign up!

Count me in for this round, Form! ;)

Formendacil 12-30-2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cailín
Oh! I would love to join your game, Formendacil, if you'll allow me. :)

'Twould be shameful of me not too. You're in.

Quote:

Though I feel guilty already, I have not played since the phantom's game - in which I died rather prematurely - and am suffering from major withdrawal symptoms.
Shame!

Okay, so we have:

Cailin
Azaelia
Meneltarmacil

... thus far. And I have, for better, worse, or indifference, assumed the role of modular (to "borrow" an inappropriate adjective) tyranny.

I am planning on waiting a while to start the game. I'm thinking of a January 7thish start. And yes, that is over a week from now, but I want to wait until people have settled back into their post-holiday lives, and not have to worry about travelling, or relatives, or any of that inconvenient stuff.

Please keep that starting time in mind if you want to join. Also, if anyone thinks that's too long to wait, and wants to mod a game, starting sooner, then I'll gladly step down and take the next turn. Seriously, I wouldn't mind.