The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Barrow-Downs (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Who’s got the best Title? (Do I hear some Nominees?) (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4682)

Lhunardawen 02-25-2005 05:28 AM

Wow...beautiful title, that. Fits the avatar, too. :)

Oh, and yours is great too, Sophia. I wonder what simbelmynë smells like...

Lindolirian 03-15-2005 09:05 PM

NightKnight's Lost among the Stars
Goes right well with his avatar. :)

Firefoot 05-25-2005 03:44 PM

I just noticed Hookbill the Goomba's (new?) title: "Alive without breath." Nice choice.

Does that mean we get to start calling you "Fisssh"? ;)

Hookbill the Goomba 05-25-2005 03:52 PM

Quote:

I just noticed Hookbill the Goomba's (new?) title: "Alive without breath." Nice choice.
Thanks Firefoot! It is new, but no, I am no fish... I'm a Wight, they are alive without breath aren’t they?

Firefoot 05-25-2005 04:04 PM

I reckon so.

(And here I thought I had found another someone having identity issues like myself... :D ;) )

Hookbill the Goomba 05-25-2005 04:06 PM

Its nice to know I'm not alone. :D

Gil-Galad 05-25-2005 04:08 PM

Time for a scientific lesson my dear Firefoot, Fish breath the air molcules in the water, so indeed fish breath, that will be all, i expect your term papers in by the end of this week

Professor Tor Coolguy

AKA

Gil-"Not single anymore"Galad

Firefoot 05-25-2005 04:17 PM

Actually, if you want to be technical about it, fish don't breathe air molecules in the water; they breathe Oxygen molecules in the water.

But this also completely defeats the point of the "alive without breath" comment.

Now, so that this is moderately on topic, I will also comment that I am a fan of Aman's "Shadow of Starlight."

Amanaduial the archer 05-25-2005 04:46 PM

Terribly good of you to do so, dear chap. Rather fond of it m'self :) No, seriously, cheers, Firefoot.

My last personal favourite of the moment is probably Aylwen Dreamsong's 'Melody of Misery'. It's so melancholy (all in for the ol' alliteration today) and the music... it just conjures to mind something beautiful, yet so painfully sad. Well, I like it anyhoo.

Mithalwen 05-26-2005 11:59 AM

I like Oddwen's drummer in the deep... an appropriately mysterious Tolkien reference :D

Encaitare 05-26-2005 01:15 PM

Both those titles do sound rather mysterious... I like them. :)

elronds_daughter 05-27-2005 06:09 AM

I've always been fond of Encai's... Bittersweet Symphony brings memories to me..... I'm not precicely sure why, but it does.

Lhunardawen 05-29-2005 10:33 PM

Congratulations, Hookbill and Oddwen! Fine choices, let me say. :)

Nimrodel_9 06-01-2005 06:44 PM

Ah... Just something I haven't yet figured out. How do I get a personal title? :p

Nim:)

Formendacil 06-01-2005 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
Ah... Just something I haven't yet figured out. How do I get a personal title? :p

Nim:)

By all reports, you wait for the Admins to offer you the option....

Hookbill the Goomba 06-02-2005 02:21 AM

According to the pm Lord Wight sent to me to offer me a personal title, you need over 501 posts and to have a place at Elrond's council. And of course, you need to be offered one.

Lhunardawen 06-03-2005 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill
...and to have a place at Elrond's council.

That's weird...I'm still enjoying my time in King Elessar's court... :confused: (confused look)

Hookbill the Goomba 06-03-2005 05:19 AM

This is what the Barrow Wight told me;

Quote:

You sit on Elrond's council, yet you don't have a Personal Title under your name. Would you like one?
So, that's where I get my information.

The Saucepan Man 06-03-2005 06:34 AM

The general requirements are 500+ posts and a record of solid contributions to the Downs. A high Rep rating is a good indication of the latter.

Hookbill the Goomba 06-03-2005 06:56 AM

Thanks Saucepan... Thaucepan.

(Anyone who has seen the Television program Look Around You will understand this, else, just ignore it).

Encaitare 06-03-2005 08:24 AM

Lhuna's is absolutely beautiful, and inspires such sad, beautiful images: Hauntress of the Havens.

Firefoot 06-03-2005 10:52 AM

Yes, I agree, Lhuna's is very nice. Hauntingly beautiful.

And Oddwen's too, who I just noticed. So now we know who the mysterious drummer is... ;)

One more thing:
Quote:

Terribly good of you to do so, dear chap. Rather fond of it m'self No, seriously, cheers, Firefoot.
Aman, after all this time... I'm a she. :D

Amanaduial the archer 06-03-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefoot
One more thing: Aman, after all this time... I'm a she. :D

It's a...general term of endearment...*gesticulates vaguely* :D !

Lhunardawen 06-03-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Encaitare
Lhuna's is absolutely beautiful, and inspires such sad, beautiful images: Hauntress of the Havens.

It's really sad...imagine going to the Grey Havens and not finding anyone there... :(

Thanks, Encaitare and Firefoot. :)

Nimrodel_9 06-04-2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

According to the pm Lord Wight sent to me to offer me a personal title, you need over 501 posts and to have a place at Elrond's council. And of course, you need to be offered one.
Oh good, that's what I thought. :)
Quote:

Aman, after all this time... I'm a she.
Gender mix-ups. Fun stuff. Perhaps we should start a thread to let people know what we are. ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Encaitare
Yes, I think Lhuna's is one of my favorites. Very beautiful.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 06-09-2005 01:20 AM

I just realized yesterday when I was reading TTT that Hookbill's title is from Gollum's poem.

"Alive without breath;
as cold as death...

Very smooth!

Saurreg 06-09-2005 02:25 AM

LMP has a great title. Bard Oder.... hehehe.

If Amanaduial the archer changes her title to "The brightness of starlight" then it would suit her intelligence and personality very well. You are far too precious to be in the shadow of anything my dear. ;)

Encaitare - Are you by any chance a listener of The Verve?

Hookbill the Goomba 06-09-2005 04:40 AM

Quote:

I just realized yesterday when I was reading TTT that Hookbill's title is from Gollum's poem.

"Alive without breath;
as cold as death...

Very smooth!
Thanks Spawn... Thawn... Never mind.

Well, it was either that or "King of the World" but I didn't think Lord Wight would appreciate it. :p

Although I'm considering changing it to "Wizard in a call centre" but its a long time off.

Encaitare 06-09-2005 02:19 PM

Quote:

Encaitare - Are you by any chance a listener of The Verve?
Yep... Bittersweet Symphony is such a wonderful song.

VanimaEdhel 06-12-2005 01:17 PM

Or...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
The general requirements are 500+ posts and a record of solid contributions to the Downs. A high Rep rating is a good indication of the latter.

Unless you were just here a really long time. At this point, I haven't been on this board in who knows how long. Now just today, my 18th birthday, I decided to pop back in to see what was going on. I'm more of an Ephemeral Enchantress and and Ethereal one - coming back for a few posts, disappearing again, coming back. I haven't had a steady wave of posts in a long time. I did a few years ago, when I was posting regularly.

Without hoppa, it just hasn't been the same on here, to be honest - even though it's been so long, it's still hard for me to be back.

Amanaduial the archer 06-13-2005 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saurreg[/quote
If Amanaduial the archer changes her title to "The brightness of starlight" then it would suit her intelligence and personality very well. You are far too precious to be in the shadow of anything my dear.

Aww. I mean...aww *blushes* Not sure what to say to that...:)

Gil-Galad 06-13-2005 02:24 PM

i would say hes trying to get into my turf! i'm the ladies-man around here Mr! well me and Eomer for sure...

Nilpaurion Felagund 09-01-2005 10:11 PM

New titled people!

Congrats to:

dancing spawn of ungoliant (Mischievous Candle)

the guy who be short (Shadowed Prince)

mormegil (Maundering Mage)

The Only Real Estel (Raffish Rapscalion)

and to any other I may have missed! Congratulations! :D

Encaitare 09-01-2005 10:35 PM

Congrats, all! I like "Raffish Rapscalion" best. :D

Gurthang 09-01-2005 11:54 PM

Congratulations morm, TORE, TGWBS, and dancing spawn!

I'm rather partial to Maundering Mage. (Although I don't know what Maundering means.)

dancing spawn: Does yours mean anything significant? It is kind of confusing me. :confused:

Also, I just looked up Scion in the dictionary, and so I must say I really like yours Nilp. I liked it before, but now that I understand it, I like it even better. :D

the guy who be short 09-02-2005 06:01 AM

Thanks

My personal favourite out of the new four is also Raffish Rapscallion, even though I tend to associate "Rapscallion" with Eomer so I'm probably going to screw that up sometime in the future! :D It rolls off the tongue too.

I like all of them, though. Maundering Mage, the other alliterative one, should, in my opinion, have been Maundering Monkey though. :p Or 'Aundering Ape?

Mischievous Candle... I don't know why I like that. It brings to mind a beautifully fluttering flame, that might be why. Fire is lovely to watch, though less pleasant to touch.

I had to look up Raffish, Maundering and Scion too, so don't worry, Gurthang, you're not the only one with an abysmal vocabulary! And yes, that did make me appreciate Nilp's PT more, even if it does imply that all the rest of us are heretics... :p

Oddwen 09-02-2005 08:31 AM

Congrats to all! I assume, D-spawn, that your "candle" is a ref to the Dead Marshes?

But my favorite has to (still) be Hookbill's "Alive Without Breath". That's just...teh aw3somenessxors!

Hookbill the Goomba 09-02-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen
But my favorite has to (still) be Hookbill's "Alive Without Breath". That's just...teh aw3somenessxors!

Thanks Oddwen! The Drummer in the Deep is among my favourites also, it’s so great! I probably would have stolen it if you did not already have it.

The Only Real Estel 09-02-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

I had to look up Raffish
I had to also...& I had to double-check on rapscalion. :rolleyes:

Two of my faves would have to be Drummer in the Deep & Bringer of the Red Dawn.

dancing spawn of ungoliant 09-02-2005 09:25 AM

Thanks guys. :) I looked up those difficult words in a dictionary, too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen
I assume, D-spawn, that your "candle" is a ref to the Dead Marshes?

Yes, you're right.

"The tricksy lights. Candles of corpses, yes, yes. Don't you heed them!" ~The Passage of the Marshes