The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Sound of Middle-earth -> reading from LotR (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16377)

Hookbill the Goomba 06-27-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 632887)
At the moment it looks like you, me and Hookbill, and possibly Legate, too. TM said he'd have time today, but I've no idea how to contact him on Skype.:confused:

I don't have Legate on Skype, so just add me to your conversation. I'll try and record some of it if you like. Not sure if it will work, though. I may have to experiment. :)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 632887)
At the moment it looks like you, me and Hookbill, and possibly Legate, too. TM said he'd have time today, but I've no idea how to contact him on Skype.:confused:

Is anybody friends with The Might? I'm not. I don't know if you and I are contacts. :confused: As I said, I'm picking Lauri up from the airport in about two hours, I could do it before then, but then I'd have to leave and come back.

EDIT: Every time I post, Hookbill has posted while I was posting.

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-27-2010 02:29 PM

Alas! I don't think I can participate today. Very sorry, but... tired, getting up early tomorrow, everything... not able to focus very well at the moment. Hope to be able to participate later, though... although the holidays might shuffle things a bit now... but anyway, at most in September :(

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 632890)
Alas! I don't think I can participate today. Very sorry, but... tired, getting up early tomorrow, everything... not able to focus very well at the moment. Hope to be able to participate later, though... although the holidays might shuffle things a bit now... but anyway, at most in September :(

That's too bad.

So, is something happening right now? I'm still a bit confused.

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 632889)
Is anybody friends with The Might? I'm not.

Me neither...
Quote:

I don't know if you and I are contacts. :confused:

If I remember correctly from last time, you're 'typically-British-beverage-in-eternity', right? I've just sent you a contact request.
Quote:

As I said, I'm picking Lauri up from the airport in about two hours, I could do it before then, but then I'd have to leave and come back.

Well, the stars don't seem to smile on us at the moment. You could always try to start something later in the evening with Lauri, Hookbill and whoever is around and feels like dropping in... Otherwise, let's just try again in another month.

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 632891)
So, is something happening right now? I'm still a bit confused.

Not really, apart from Hookbill and me having a little text chat.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 632892)
If I remember correctly from last time, you're 'typically-British-beverage-in-eternity', right? I've just sent you a contact request.

Indeed I am. :)

Quote:

Well, the stars don't seem to smile on us at the moment. You could always try to start something later in the evening with Lauri, Hookbill and whoever is around and feels like dropping in... Otherwise, let's just try again in another month.
Well, talking with Hookbill is always fun; I'd be happy to do it even if there weren't any other Downers around. But I would love to actually do some reading this time; last time I was too late. I suppose that it is up to Hookbill now? :confused:

Hookbill the Goomba 06-27-2010 03:19 PM

Sorry guys, but I'm not going to be able to do it - Internet problems are slowing Skype down to unreasonable levels. It won't let me do a call because of 'connection problems' and the text conversations are taking an age to go from keyboard to screen. :(

The Might 06-27-2010 03:20 PM

Just got your message Pitch, I'd be up for it as well
EDIT: xed with Hookbill, guess we're too few then.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 03:33 PM

We'll just have to do it at a later date.

Do we have to wait a whole month? :(

The Might 06-27-2010 03:57 PM

No, of course not, the whole monthly thing only emerged because doing it too often would spoil the fun of it being something special.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might (Post 632900)
No, of course not, the whole monthly thing only emerged because doing it too often would spoil the fun of it being something special.

Oh brilliant!
We'll have to set up another one then!

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookbill
Sorry guys, but I'm not going to be able to do it - Internet problems are slowing Skype down to unreasonable levels. It won't let me do a call because of 'connection problems' and the text conversations are taking an age to go from keyboard to screen.

*triple sad smiley (or rather frowney)*
Quote:

Originally Posted by TGEW
I suppose that it is up to Hookbill now?

I'd say it's always up to whoever is there and takes the iniative... so why not you?:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Might
Just got your message Pitch, I'd be up for it as well

Would have been great to have you with us, especially since you started all this in the first place... but I'm going to bed now (after a lovely little chat with TGEW), and I don't know whether something's going to happen later tonight or not; doesn't look like it at the moment.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TGEW
Oh brilliant!
We'll have to set up another one then!

So what about next weekend? 4th of July... Independence Day... The Scouring of the Shire? [/mad brainstorming]

Eönwë 07-03-2010 04:05 PM

Err... did anything happen today?

Gwathagor 07-03-2010 04:32 PM

Hope not, I totally forgot.

Pitchwife 07-03-2010 05:12 PM

Not that I noticed. But if you two're still around, we could start planning another retry?

Loslote 07-03-2010 05:18 PM

I'm around and can plan, but I'm only available today and in the late afternoon tomorrow.

Pitchwife 07-03-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lottie
I'm around and can plan, but I'm only available today and in the late afternoon tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it's rather late already over here, and your late afternoon is I think well past midnight for me...:( Also, recruiting enough people at short notice didn't work too well last time. What about next weekend?

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-03-2010 10:37 PM

Next weekend would work for me.

Loslote 07-04-2010 01:52 AM

I'll be around next weekend.

Hookbill the Goomba 07-04-2010 01:59 AM

I've got full internetness back, so I'm ready for fun whenever you guys are.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-04-2010 02:05 AM

Ooh. So we've got five people (Lauri, Lottie, Pitchie, Hookie, and me) for next weekend? Wonderful! Who should we recruit next?

Eönwë 07-04-2010 05:11 AM

I'll probably be able to do it next weekend.

The Might 07-04-2010 05:20 AM

Next weekend sounds good, although I never really know how much time I'll have.

Estelyn Telcontar 07-04-2010 05:53 AM

But - next weekend is the final game of the World Cup! Which day would you be planning? If there's not a game on at that time, I'd try to join, at least for awhile.

Eönwë 07-04-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 633357)
But - next weekend is the final game of the World Cup! Which day would you be planning? If there's not a game on at that time, I'd try to join, at least for awhile.

What about on the 10th (Saturday)? Apparently the final will be on the 11th.

*Stops self before getting too off-topic*

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-04-2010 05:34 PM

The tenth would work for me.

Pitchwife 07-05-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 633357)

Arrgh, can you believe I totally forgot that? Shows what a football fan I am...:o
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë
What about on the 10th (Saturday)? Apparently the final will be on the 11th.

Yeah, but the game about the third rank (='bronze medal', between the losers of the semi-final) will be on Saturday, and I reckon some people will want to watch that (I, for one, may, depending on how our boys fare against Spain on Wednesday).
OK, never mind the Ballack [/doubly obscure inside joke] - Sunday wouldn't have been a good day anyway, considering some of us on this side of the big pond have to get up early on Monday, but what about Saturday the 10th after the game (i.e. probably something like 2200+ GMT)?

Laurinquë 07-08-2010 01:14 AM

So it shall be on the 10th of July, 2010? I can do that. It will be great! Are we going to even attempt to be on topic at all this time? :cool:

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-08-2010 01:59 AM

Pfft! Who needs to be on-topic when you can kill some chat skwerlz? :p

What time will it be happening? Did we agree on a time?

Eönwë 07-08-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 633591)
Are we going to even attempt to be on topic at all this time? :cool:

What's a "topic"? :p

But seriously, have we ever had a topic in the first place?

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-08-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eönwë (Post 633625)
But seriously, have we ever had a topic in the first place?

Of course we've had topics in the past: Gandalf the Grey Uncloaking. :p

Laurinquë 07-09-2010 01:04 PM

May I propose we all start to wander online sometime around 20.00/8.00 GMT (Hookbill & Eönwë time)? That's 11.00 Laurinquë time, 12.00 TGEW time, and 21.00 Pitchwife time. Is this all right with you? And if we want to read aloud, well, it's all open to suggestion. :)

Hookbill the Goomba 07-09-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 633664)
May I propose we all start to wander online sometime around 20.00/8.00 GMT (Hookbill & Eönwë time)? That's 11.00 Laurinquë time, 12.00 TGEW time, and 21.00 Pitchwife time. Is this all right with you? And if we want to read aloud, well, it's all open to suggestion.

Sounds good to me. :)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-09-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 633664)
May I propose we all start to wander online sometime around 20.00/8.00 GMT (Hookbill & Eönwë time)? That's 11.00 Laurinquë time, 12.00 TGEW time, and 21.00 Pitchwife time. Is this all right with you? And if we want to read aloud, well, it's all open to suggestion. :)

Sounds great! I like how we all have our own different time zones! :D

Loslote 07-09-2010 09:45 PM

Wait, would that be 10 in the morning my time, or noon? I'm confused. As it is, I don't know if I'll be awake at ten in the morning - I haven't really slept for two weeks...I'll try to wake up in time, though.

Laurinquë 07-09-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 633675)
Wait, would that be 10 in the morning my time, or noon? I'm confused. As it is, I don't know if I'll be awake at ten in the morning - I haven't really slept for two weeks...I'll try to wake up in time, though.

As long as you're still in Alaska with me it will be at 11.00 AM. TGEW is in Washington now so she is an hour ahead at 12.00. But you can come in whenever you like, I'm going to have to hurry if I want to be on too. I just thought it would be easier for our European friends if we didn't do it at midnight their time. :p

Any ideas for reading?

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-09-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 633677)
Any ideas for reading?

I have some. Don't know if they'll be good for our group, but it's worth suggesting.
  • The Council of Elrond (What? It would keep us entertained for hours.:p)
  • Strider ('Twould be fun!)
  • A Short Cut to Mushrooms (Farmer Maggot is amusing.)
  • The Passing of the Grey Company (Looks like a bit of dialogue.)
  • The Battle of Pelennor Fields (There's some great dialogue here when you get to Theoden dying and Eowyn and Merry being generally awesome. :D)
  • The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen (Did we already read this one? Ah who cares.)

Loslote 07-09-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 633677)
As long as you're still in Alaska with me it will be at 11.00 AM. TGEW is in Washington now so she is an hour ahead at 12.00. But you can come in whenever you like, I'm going to have to hurry if I want to be on too. I just thought it would be easier for our European friends if we didn't do it at midnight their time. :p

Any ideas for reading?

Ah, excellent! I might be able to wake up by then. :p

As for reading, we'd better see how many people we have first. (If we already know this, I'm just being sleepy. ;) )

TheGreatElvenWarrior 07-09-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 633679)
As for reading, we'd better see how many people we have first. (If we already know this, I'm just being sleepy. ;) )

Of course. I think, off of memory, we have six or seven Downers at this point.