The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Sound of Middle-earth -> reading from LotR (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16377)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 05-22-2010 08:50 PM

That was fun. Though, those who were Skyping seemed to have descended into madness by the time that I came 'round.

I shall definitely be doing that again! :D

Oddwen 05-22-2010 08:57 PM

I say!

This month's reading consisted of the encounter of Our Four Hobbits with Old Man Willow and Tom Bombadil, consisting of Loslote, Pitchwife, Laurinque, TGEW, Hookbill the Goomba and his kazoo, Eonwe, Thinlomien and Oddwen. I believe that Eonwe made recordings of the event, and may soon upload selected selections suitable for everyone's ears.

So this time afterwards we didn't get into the deep philosophical discussions of the deep places of the world like last time. Our topic was of subjects less keen and lofty in delight but deeper and nearer to mortal pants. I mean Heart.

It was amazing once again. This time next month quite a few of us will be involved in the visiting of our Finniship of the Ring, so the next time may be pushed way back.

I've talked with Pitch Tombadil, Eonwe, and Lommy before, but with Lotty, Rinky, TGEWy and Hooky I hadn't had the pleasure yet. Everyone was awesome and hilarious and very fun to talk with. :)

Laurinquë 05-22-2010 09:19 PM

It was brilliant! It shone like a nuclear reactor in meltdown.

The best part was when Hookbill fixed Skype with is his sonic screwdriver. And when Eönwë uncloaked. I had to leave about half way through, so I'm not sure what madness everyone got up to after I left. If it was as mad as it was when I departed (and we were on a downward spiral of decreasing canonicity) then it must have been bedlam by the time it finally came to its timely demise. :p

Did you get to record the whole thing Eönwë? I must hear what happened next! Also TGEW and I think your accent is really posh. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 05-23-2010 02:35 AM

Ah, what a pity, what a pity I missed this one! Especially with such a special cast. But, well, my internet connection decided to pick yesterday of all days to die out, be repaired, or be on strike, whichever of it it was I am not sure. Alas! Hopefully next time then - and hopefully with good amount of people as well.

Gwathagor 05-23-2010 10:02 AM

Sorry I missed it. I was at an unexpected wine tasting.

Pitchwife 05-23-2010 10:06 AM

The Night of the Kazoo

The cast:

Lottie - narrator
Oddwen - Frodo, zither (?)
Eönwë - Sam, recording engineer
Hookbill - Merry, kazoo, gratuitous sound effects
Laurinquë - Pippin
Pitch - Tom Bombadil
Lommy - Goldberry

All of the above - additional weird sound effects, general mayhem

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 630859)
That was fun. Though, those who were Skyping seemed to have descended into madness by the time that I came 'round.

That would be presupposing we started somewhere else to descend from...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë
The best part was when Hookbill fixed Skype with his sonic screwdriver. And when Eönwë uncloaked.

Not to forget Hookbill's musical autobiography; and the light-saber duel in Eönwë's shower; and the Gandalf limericks (utterly unsuitable for publication, alas). And everything else.

On a slightly more canonical note, we discovered that architecture in Middle-earth was way more advanced than is commonly recognized. Has anybody ever noticed that Tom's and Goldberry's home included a penthouse? (Go check, no kidding.)

Ibrîniðilpathânezel 05-23-2010 01:52 PM

These sessions sound quite entertaining. I just started getting acquainted with Skype, so perhaps if I can figure it out and there's a next time.... :D

Oddwen 05-23-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel (Post 630954)
These sessions sound quite entertaining. I just started getting acquainted with Skype, so perhaps if I can figure it out and there's a next time.... :D

Definitely! You're almost an honorary member, since anyone who can pronounce your name will gratuitously throw it into the conversation somewhere. :p

Also, om nom nom.

Ibrîniðilpathânezel 05-23-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen (Post 630962)
Definitely! You're almost an honorary member, since anyone who can pronounce your name will gratuitously throw it into the conversation somewhere. :p.

For some strange reason, that doesn't surprise me. :D

Loslote 05-23-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 630944)
Not to forget Hookbill's musical autobiography; and the light-saber duel in Eönwë's shower; and the Gandalf limericks (utterly unsuitable for publication, alas). And everything else.

Unsuitable for publication on a family friendly site, you mean. They are perfectly suitable for publication in some place with lesser regulations and a love of uncloaking jokes. ;) And I thought it was his toilet, not his shower...:eek:

Laurinquë 05-23-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 630965)
Unsuitable for publication on a family friendly site, you mean. They are perfectly suitable for publication in some place with lesser regulations and a love of uncloaking jokes. ;) And I thought it was his toilet, not his shower...:eek:

I thought that he had thrown his computer in the Thames!

Loslote 05-23-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 630970)
I thought that he had thrown his computer in the Thames!

No, that was Hookbill throwing Eonwe's dead body in a resevoir to hide the evidence. They can't prove anything. :Merisu:

Oddwen 05-23-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 630965)
And I thought it was his toilet, not his shower...:eek:

Oh no, it was definitely lightsabers in the shower. While skydiving.

Loslote 05-23-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen (Post 630979)
Oh no, it was definitely lightsabers in the shower. While skydiving.

Oh, right! I'd forgotten the skydiving part. Was this before or after a train ran over his house?

Pitchwife 05-24-2010 03:49 AM

Yay Ibrin! Another drone for the collective! Resistance is futile.

Gwath, never mind, I just hope the wine was good.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 630971)
No, that was Hookbill throwing Eonwe's dead body in a resevoir to hide the evidence. They can't prove anything. :Merisu:

Didn't he end up burying the corpse in the sky because they were least likely to look there?
*quickly ducks away lest Esty mistake him for a tasty nut*

Laurinquë 05-24-2010 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 630983)
Oh, right! I'd forgotten the skydiving part. Was this before or after a train ran over his house?

Was that the same train that ran over Lommy and Oddwen's houses? Or were they attacked by a stampede of oliphaunts? That's what it sounded like to me. :p

Aganzir 05-26-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddwen (Post 630962)
Definitely! You're almost an honorary member, since anyone who can pronounce your name will gratuitously throw it into the conversation somewhere.

Hey I did that last time I participated! :p (For the record, I should also be able to write it correctly. ;))

Anyway sounds like you had fun, I would have liked to join but I wasn't anywhere near a computer so no can do. Looking forward to hearing the recordings, though! :p

Eönwë 05-26-2010 08:13 AM

A quick note first- The last software that Oddwen linked sort of worked, but because it messed up my Skype (made the call just sound like short blocks of sound, etc., and I think this happened to Oddwen too (and it may have had a virus), I had to uninstall it, so the large files of sound containing most of the call(s) are gone, and seem to have overwritten by the software as a large act of revenge so I can't even recover it).

Anyway, as I didn't realise this software had been working until the end, I recorded with the free one that I found, but it only records 15-minute sections, and at first didn't record my voice. So there are bits and pieces of the call that I do have.

OK... so here are some of the more... normal... recordings:

LOTR reading 1 (The Old Forest) - I was in this one, but for some reason the software only started recording my voice at a later time, so there are a few gaps in it.
LOTR reading 2 (In the House of Tom Bombadil)- I'm not in here, so it hasn't got any strange gaps

General discussion (before it went... erm...)

Oddwen 05-26-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

The last software that Oddwen linked sort of worked, but because it messed up my Skype (made the call just sound like short blocks of sound, etc., and I think this happened to Oddwen too (and it may have had a virus)
Aww, dangit, sorry. :( It had been recommended in a couple of places. Hopefully next time we will have the Magic Goomba and his Recording Computer of Doom to assist us.

Hookbill the Goomba 05-26-2010 08:49 AM

I think I've got some software that will work. I'll probably have to test it out before hand, though. But hopefully... :)

Laurinquë 06-14-2010 11:44 AM

Lottie said something about having another Skype call sometime near the end of June. When exactly is this set to occur? Or was that decided on at all?

Loslote 06-14-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurinquë (Post 632042)
Lottie said something about having another Skype call sometime near the end of June. When exactly is this set to occur? Or was that decided on at all?

I think we were considering having another one around the 25th again...for me to be there, though, it'd have to be before the 28th. And I don't think the Finns will be able to make it at all. :(

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-14-2010 02:04 PM

They probably won't, but I will :) 25th is Friday this month, so that would be the "default" date - if people preferred e.g. 26th, however, the schedule could be changed accordingly... it will be nice to get as many people as possible :)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-14-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 632045)
They probably won't, but I will :) 25th is Friday this month, so that would be the "default" date - if people preferred e.g. 26th, however, the schedule could be changed accordingly... it will be nice to get as many people as possible :)

Hmm. If it is on the 26th I have to pick up Lauri from the airport. I guess it would depend on what time it happened. I might be able to do the 25th, though. Not sure. . .

Pitchwife 06-14-2010 02:43 PM

25th or 26th would both be feasible for me.
IIRC Oddwen mentioned she'd be meeting with the Finns around that time, so I guess she won't be available either. Don't know about Eönwë, but I don't really see him passing it up if he can possibly make it.

Loslote 06-14-2010 02:50 PM

I'm pretty sure both dates work for me. And really, Pitchie, I can't see anyone passing it up if they can possibly make it! ;)

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-14-2010 03:51 PM

Maybe we could do it on the 27th?

Laurinquë 06-14-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 632051)
Maybe we could do it on the 27th?

The 27th would be good, though I'm not sure how Tabby and I will do it when we're at the same location. I suppose you'll just have to put up with a shared microphone. :p

Loslote 06-14-2010 04:19 PM

I'd be busy on the 27th - friend from Virginia coming up, get to see her once a year, all that fun stuff.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-14-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 632055)
I'd be busy on the 27th - friend from Virginia coming up, get to see her once a year, all that fun stuff.

Oh dear. Then we shant do it then.

The Might 06-14-2010 09:22 PM

27th would be the only good date for me that weekend...

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-26-2010 06:27 PM

So, are we doing another conversation tomorrow, the 27th? It would be good to know. :)

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 06:26 AM

Oops - I'm afraid this whole business has rather slipped from my mind in the last couple of days.:o I won't be able to hang around as long as the last times, but if there's something happening not too late in the American afternoon/European evening, do give me a ring!

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-27-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 632848)
Oops - I'm afraid this whole business has rather slipped from my mind in the last couple of days.:o I won't be able to hang around as long as the last times, but if there's something happening not too late in the American afternoon/European evening, do give me a ring!

Ooops, the same. I actually wanted to post a reminder here a few days ago, but I forgot it... so here we go. Well, there is still a possibility to do something... but not sure how many people could participate and all... and when... and so on.

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 01:11 PM

Well, I'm here, if anybody else is.

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 01:46 PM

Well, I'm going to pick Lauri up from the airport today and if we did something today, I couldn't do it until after 15.30 Washington time (or 23.30 Britain time).
So were we doing something?

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 632882)
So were we doing something?

Not yet, it seems.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 632882)
Well, I'm going to pick Lauri up from the airport today and if we did something today, I couldn't do it until after 15.30 Washington time (or 23.30 Britain time).

I'm afraid it'll get rather late for me then, unless we make it a quickie - say till 01.00 GMT at the latest; but you can always go on without me, of course.

Hookbill the Goomba 06-27-2010 02:10 PM

I'm going to give it a shot.
Can't promise much as there are some internet problems in the village, but I'll see what can be achieved!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 06-27-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 632884)
Not yet, it seems.

I'm afraid it'll get rather late for me then, unless we make it a quickie - say till 01.00 GMT at the latest; but you can always go on without me, of course.

If we were going to do something, who would be involved?

EDIT: Are Pitchwife and Hookbill the only ones who would be able to do it now?

Pitchwife 06-27-2010 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior (Post 632886)
If we were going to do something, who would be involved?

At the moment it looks like you, me and Hookbill, and possibly Legate, too. TM said he'd have time today, but I've no idea how to contact him on Skype.:confused: