The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Man behind the Mythology (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3870)

Turambar 10-09-2003 12:57 PM

*bump*

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh 10-09-2003 01:41 PM

Tolkien was referring to a common dislike of what he calls "...meddling with the Primary World, or such small glimpses of it as are familiar to them." He was describing a dislike of fantastic literature on the basis of its failure faithfully to portray the world in which we live: the very "arresting strangeness" which he regarded as a natural advantage of the form.

As one might expect, he says this in his lecture and essay On Fairy-Stories (1939), in which he explores various perceptions of 'fantasy' and challenges the common view that fairy-stories are products of escapism.

[ October 09, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rűdh ]

Bęthberry 10-09-2003 02:40 PM

Right you are, Old Boy."On Fairie Tales" it is. People dislike fantasy, presuming it to be mere dreaming and hallucination which lack the Art and control of fantasy. In other words, they don't like something which challenges their familiar, preconceived little worlds.

You have the floor. Or the thread. Or the challege. As it may be.

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh 10-09-2003 03:00 PM

I take up your cast gage with pleasure, Bethberry. How did 'Beren' meet 'Luthien'?

Bęthberry 10-13-2003 07:13 AM

They met, if Carpenter has his facts right, Squatter, at a sort of rooming house for orphans. 37 Duchess Road, Birmingham.

Tolkien's guardian, Father Francis, believed he and his brother were not happy with his Aunt B, and so Father Francis found them lodgings with Mrs. Faulkner, who gave musical soirees which some of the Fathers attended.

On the first floor, beneath the two boys' bedroom, lodged a pretty young orphan girl with some talent at the piano. Edith Bratt.

He was sixteen, she was nineteen. What more need be said?

Bęthberry

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh 10-13-2003 07:24 AM

That's what I was looking for. Your turn.

Bęthberry 10-13-2003 07:57 AM

Thank-you, Squatter.

Tolkien had a very specific sense of Magic. What was it? (And, to be fair, I should say I am thinking particularly of the Letters here.)

Estelyn Telcontar 10-20-2003 12:57 PM

In his draft of a letter to Naomi Mitchison (Nr. 155), Tolkien says
Quote:

A difference in the use of 'magic' in this story is that it is not to be come by by 'lore' or spells; but is in an inherent power not possessed or attainable by Men as such.
He adds that magic as used by Gandalf is artistic, not intended to deceive. Is that what you have in mind?

Bęthberry 10-20-2003 01:39 PM

Good digging! That's not the specific letter I had in mind, but it will do. Here is the passage I was thinking of, from Letter 131 to Milton Waldman (p. 146 in my paperback edition):

Quote:

I have not used 'magic' consistently, and indeed the Elven-queen Galadriel is obliged to reonstrate with the Hobbits on their confused use of the word [ie magic] both for the devices and operations of the Enemy,and for those of the Elves. I have not, because there is not a word for the latter (since all human stories have suffered the same confusion). But the Elves are there (in my tales) to demonstrate the difference. Their 'magic' is Art, delivered from many of its human limitations: more effortless, more quick, more complete (product, and vision in unflawed correspondence). And its object is Art not Power, sub-creation not domination and tyrannous re-forming of Creation. The 'Elves' are 'immortal' , at least as far as this world goes: and hence are concerned rather with the griefs and burdens of deathlessness in time and change, than with death. The Enemy in successive forms is always 'naturally' concerned with sheer Domination, and so the Lord of magic and machines; but the problem: that this freightful evil can and does arise from an apparently good root, the desire to benefit the world and others--speedily and according to the benefactor's own plans--is a recurrent motive.
And so, Ms Telcontar, I pass the challenge on to you.

Estelyn Telcontar 10-20-2003 02:05 PM

Here's a rather straightforward question: Which of Tolkien's children were able to be with him when he died?

Telchar 11-01-2003 07:03 PM

My memory might fail me, but I think it was his daughter, Pricilla Anne...

Estelyn Telcontar 11-02-2003 12:07 AM

That's half of the right answer, Telchar...

Telchar 11-02-2003 09:02 AM

OK - it Might be that someone else can have the other half of the answer because I seriously do not have a clue... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Telchar ]

Estelyn Telcontar 11-03-2003 01:51 AM

Ah, nice try, Telch! Unfortunately not Michael - Carpenter writes in the biography:
Quote:

It so happened that Michael was on holiday in Switzerland and ______ in France...
Two more guesses - good thing Tolkien had only four children, eh?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Child of the 7th Age 11-03-2003 08:38 AM

Michael was on holiday in Switzerland and Christopher in France....but John and Priscilla were able to come down to Bournemouth to be with him. The first reports were optomistic but then a chest infection developed and he died shortly after. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

(I feel a bit guilty trailing in with this at the tail end after Telchar got the first half right......!)

Estelyn Telcontar 11-03-2003 10:35 AM

All's fair in love and quiz, Child - and welcome to the thread! You're right, of course - we look forward to your question.

Child of the 7th Age 11-03-2003 03:33 PM

How about this?

Tolkien began the translation of three medieval poems; part of his work went back as early as the 1920s. These poems were published posthumously in 1975, although Tolkien himself felt they had never been completed to his own satisfaction.

What are the names of the three poems?

Bęthberry 11-03-2003 03:36 PM

Child,

Would you be referring to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo?

Child of the 7th Age 11-03-2003 04:46 PM

Bethberry,

Whoa! You're fast. That took exactly three minutes! Is that a record?

(Maybe we should give out "prizes".)

You have the floor now....

Child

Gwaihir the Windlord 11-06-2003 02:21 AM

That's not a record [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bęthberry 11-06-2003 09:57 AM

Thank you,Child. I just happened to be online when you posted your challenge, and, well, I do love literature. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Now, for the next one:

What position or job did Tolkien hold in the 11th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers, "B" company?

Estelyn Telcontar 11-06-2003 10:49 AM

He was commissioned as a second lieutenant.

Bęthberry 11-06-2003 11:01 AM

Ah, hmm. Esty, I wasn't thinking so much of his rank as what it was he did. Want to try again?

Estelyn Telcontar 11-06-2003 11:29 PM

He was the battalion signalling officer. Is that what you're looking for?

Carpenter says:
Quote:

...the prospect of dealing with words, messages, and codes was more appealing than the drudgery and responsibility of commanding a platoon. So he learnt Morse code, flag and disc signalling, the transmission of messages by heliograph and lamp, the use of signal-rockets and field-telephones, and even how to handle carrier pigeons...
[ November 07, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]

Bęthberry 11-07-2003 08:01 AM

Indeed, Ms Telcontar, that was what I had in mind. Strikes me as almost cruelly prescient that he would have that job.

Ask on, Estelyn, ask on.

Estelyn Telcontar 11-07-2003 11:16 AM

Here's a nice bit of trivia I discovered - which American president's daughter wrote to Tolkien, asking him for an autograph?

Estelyn Telcontar 11-13-2003 08:26 AM

Anyone care to guess this answer? I know the source isn't quite as common as Carpenter's biography, but it's not difficult - there weren't really that many US presidents with daughters during the 60's! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Turambar 11-13-2003 09:17 AM

OK - Kennedy's daughter ?

Estelyn Telcontar 11-13-2003 09:35 AM

nope

Turambar 11-13-2003 10:50 AM

Well then, Nixon's? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Estelyn Telcontar 11-13-2003 11:19 AM

Again, I must regretfully answer "no". Keep going! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Saucepan Man 11-13-2003 11:31 AM

Lyndon Johnson's daughter?

(If it's not him, there's only one left [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

Estelyn Telcontar 11-13-2003 11:51 AM

Right president - daughter's name? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Turambar 11-13-2003 12:21 PM

Luci ?

The Saucepan Man 11-13-2003 12:23 PM

Gah, what do I know of US Presidents' daughters?! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to google, I know that he had two daughters, so I'll go for Lucy (Luci?). [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Double Gah! Spent too much time on Google! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 13, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Edit 2: Triple Gah! Wrong daughter.

Mind you, I hate to be pedantic, but the original question was:

Quote:

which American president's daughter wrote to Tolkien, asking him for an autograph?
requiring that the President, rather than his daughter be identified. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]

Estelyn Telcontar 11-13-2003 12:54 PM

Both wrong - sorry, but even guessing has to produce the correct answer! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Beren87 11-13-2003 02:00 PM

His other daugher, Ly(i)nda.

Estelyn Telcontar 11-13-2003 03:39 PM

That's the one, Beren. Daniel Grotta-Kurska writes in his biography J.R.R.Tolkien, Architect of Middle Earth about the flood of mail that was sent to Tolkien:
Quote:

The letters came from such diverse places as the White House (President Johnson's daughter Lynda Bird asking for an autograph), royalty, composers wishing to set Tolkien's works to music, blind octogenerians, and prisoners.

Beren87 11-14-2003 07:32 AM

Ah.

What did Tolkien receive from the Queen in '72?

Mariska Greenleaf 11-14-2003 08:05 AM

He recieved the title CBE (= commander of the Order of the British Empire)