The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Elvenhome (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Assigned to Mordor Planning/Discussion Thread (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=12350)

Celuien 04-07-2006 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
big ego?

delego -are [to transfer , commit, assign; to impute, attribute, ascribe] (The half of delego clue was just meant to give away the language. I probably made that confusing.)
valde [intensely , very much]; in replies, [certainly, very much].

Very assigned [to Mordor] if I got it right.

But I wonder if it can be read as Valde de Ego with a drop of the l. Which would be a funny double meaning given Valde's character. Durelin will have to enlighten us. :D

Encaitare 04-07-2006 05:42 AM

You could always cheat like I did and just ask Fea. :D

the guy who be short 04-07-2006 06:50 AM

Delego would be "I assign." So Valde Delego gives I assign intensely, according to my dictionary. Which does suit Valde, really.

This begs the question... should we be pronouncing it Walde? :p

Celuien 04-07-2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Delego would be "I assign." So Valde Delego gives I assign intensely, according to my dictionary. Which does suit Valde, really.

This begs the question... should we be pronouncing it Walde? :p

Ah, I see. Ego = I. The dictionary I used didn't specify the grammar. And knowing next to nothing about Latin, I didn't catch on. :rolleyes:

Durelin 04-07-2006 08:42 AM

TGWBS has got it.

In Latin, the literal translation would be "I assign very much," which makes more sense if you translate 'valde' as intensely or something of that nature.

'Ego' = I, but in the actual verb 'delego' it is only really coincidence that the word 'ego' appears in it. The 'o' ending is simply the 1st person singular present tense ending for verbs.

And yes, I have wondered myself whether I should think of him as 'Walde'... :D

And hey, I like the ego thing...that's a good idea. Yeah, let's go with that, too. I did that on purpose, too...yeah. :p

the guy who be short 04-07-2006 11:04 AM

Quote:

But I wonder if it can be read as Valde de Ego with a drop of the l. Which would be a funny double meaning given Valde's character.
Why drop the l?

Valde de l'ego. Works fine if you transform him into a Frenchman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by durelin
And yes, I have wondered myself whether I should think of him as 'Walde'...

Waldo it is!

piosenniel 04-07-2006 02:06 PM

Final Posts

Please get Final Posts onto the game by April 14th - I want to close the game that following weekend to make way for the new game.

~*~ Pio, Game Moderator

littlemanpoet 04-08-2006 08:37 AM

I think "Intensely committed" works as an alternate meaning for Valde Delego ... and works, considering the character.

Celuien 04-08-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Why drop the l?

Valde de l'ego. Works fine if you transform him into a Frenchman.

And so it does! *chuckles* :D

Feanor of the Peredhil 04-08-2006 05:14 PM

I'm afraid that I won't be able to put up a final post before then, Pio. My week just got infinitely busier, and since the initial busy was already "finals," I hope everybody understands. I expect that I'll be able to post that weekend... just not before the 14th.

piosenniel 04-09-2006 01:55 AM

I will close the game, then, late on the 17th of April -- everyone please have your posts in by then:

Kath
Fea

is LMP doing one last post?

Kath 04-09-2006 06:22 AM

Ok, that should be manageable, cheers Fea!

littlemanpoet 04-09-2006 07:35 PM

I suppose one last post from me is in order. Fea, do you want me to go before you?

On a related note, shall we continue to use this as the discussion thread for all subsequent ATM rpg's?

Feanor of the Peredhil 04-09-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Fea, do you want me to go before you?

'Sup to you. I know that Pio wants to finish this up and I'm likely to be late in my posting given the circumstances. It would probably be easier for you to go before me, but like I said... your call.

Quote:

On a related note, shall we continue to use this as the discussion thread for all subsequent ATM rpg's?
Saves bandwidth, no?

littlemanpoet 04-10-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
'Sup to you. I know that Pio wants to finish this up and I'm likely to be late in my posting given the circumstances. It would probably be easier for you to go before me, but like I said... your call.

Okay. I'll go before you.
Quote:

Saves bandwidth, no?
Yes.

Feanor of the Peredhil 04-29-2006 08:47 AM

A few bits and a few more pieces...

This thread will not be used for all subsequent ATM discussion threads. A new one will open soon for ATM2. However, since that thead is not yet open and this thread is convenient, here are a few points:

If you have not received a PM from me pertaining to ATM2 and you think you should have, let me know via PM.

If you have received, but have not responded, please do.

If you have any questions that you aren't sure will be covered in the discussion thread, feel free to ask me.

Encaitare 05-01-2006 08:14 PM

Will final posts be up anytime soon? :)

Feanor of the Peredhil 05-01-2006 09:19 PM

Nope. I should have mentioned that. Haha. Thought I did.

Kath's post is acting as final. First post of ATM2 is playing the part of segue.

piosenniel 05-02-2006 03:14 AM

----------- Finis -----------

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~