The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Quiz Room (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Family Tree Trivia (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=4184)

Galadriel55 05-08-2020 03:43 PM

*facepalm*

Maglor!

Urwen 05-08-2020 03:44 PM

So it's one of Elros or Elrond's great-grandchildren. The closest I can come is Tar-Elendil...

Huinesoron 05-08-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 723978)
*facepalm*

Maglor!

Maglor! There he is. Correct, over to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 723981)
So it's one of Elros or Elrond's great-grandchildren. The closest I can come is Tar-Elendil...

So I apologise for being wrong before: cousin-Ness is indeed reciprocal. So Arwen is the great-grandchild (of Finarfin, in this case).

hS

Urwen 05-08-2020 03:58 PM

And I was gonna say Maeglin/Celebrimbor too. :o

Galadriel55 05-08-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 723984)
Maglor! There he is. Correct, over to you.

So much for me going "All Feanorians are dead! Nothing to be gained there!" :rolleyes:

I get confused with family tree relationship terms in English, because they are different (and make so much more sense to me!) in Russian. For instance, in Russian Maglor would be Arwen's secondary great-uncle. I had to draw out the family tree to see where the "cousin" relationship actually happens.

A quick one, with a bit of an opposite twist to this thread:

Who *forfeited* a family for a promise not yet made?

Urwen 05-08-2020 04:35 PM

Tar-Aldarion, when he went off to skeddaddle with Sauron's enemies in Middle Earth? :D

Galadriel55 05-08-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 724003)
Tar-Aldarion, when he went off to skeddaddle with Sauron's enemies in Middle Earth? :D

Not the answer I am looking for.

Urwen 05-08-2020 05:30 PM

You would usually give a small hint if we explained our reasoning. :(

Hmmm...Feanor maybe?

Urwen 05-08-2020 05:47 PM

Hey, hey. I think I have it. Is it mayhaps Finrod Felagund, whose gift of foresight convinced him not to marry or have a son because of his eventual oath to Barahir and his descendants? (And his love for Amarie to an extent)

Galadriel55 05-08-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 724034)
Hey, hey. I think I have it. Is it mayhaps Finrod Felagund, whose gift of foresight convinced him not to marry or have a son because of his eventual oath to Barahir and his descendants? (And his love for Amarie to an extent)

Indeed. I feel like giving up a chance for love and family is a lot more heroic if it's indeed done in foresight of an oath that you must be free to fulfill, rather than because your sweetheart is across the Belegaer. But we sweep that under the rug and still love our valiant Finrod. :p

Urwen 05-08-2020 06:22 PM

I just came up with a fun one.

Whose father is also their father-in-law?

Urwen 05-09-2020 03:54 AM

I know you were around, people, and there are few outstanding threads that need continuing, so please don't let them die... :(

Huinesoron 05-09-2020 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 724065)
I know you were around, people, and there are few outstanding threads that need continuing, so please don't let them die... :(

Do you want me to post "no idea" on all three threads? Because I've got no idea. :p I'd rather leave the space for other people to try and answer.

Oh, except this one: Turin & Nienor.

hS

Urwen 05-09-2020 05:57 AM

I just don't want those threads to end up locked by admins because they weren't posted in for more than six years. Do you want that to happen? Do you?! >.>

Huinesoron 05-09-2020 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 724085)
I just don't want those threads to end up locked by admins because they weren't posted in for more than six years. Do you want that to happen? Do you?! >.>

Urwen, if I could fast-forward six years from this moment, even at the price of a couple of locked threads, I would do so in a [i]heartbeat[/b].

hS

Urwen 05-09-2020 06:11 AM

These threads are one of the few means I have to stave off my boredom, especially during this pandemic, and I will not let them be locked and shunted aside, ever. Do you understand?

Urwen 05-09-2020 03:00 PM

Anyway, it was Turin (and Nienor).

Huinesoron 05-09-2020 03:16 PM

Cool. So:

Two kings lost two sons in two wars, and 2+2+2 is the number from the first to the second. Where did they rule?

hS

Urwen 05-10-2020 04:30 AM

Arnor and Gondor.

Huinesoron 05-10-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 724322)
Arnor and Gondor.

Incorrect.

hS

Urwen 05-10-2020 10:12 AM

Just Gondor?

Huinesoron 05-10-2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 724325)
Just Gondor?

Also incorrect.

It's a lot harder to give appropriate levels of hint if you don't offer any reasoning. (For instance, if your reasoning was "the two kings are the Sun and the Moon", I'd offer a different amount of help than if you said "are Isildur and Aragorn".)

hS

Urwen 05-10-2020 12:52 PM

Well, it's not Sun and Moon. Even I know thar much.

Urwen 05-12-2020 05:59 AM

So there are King's of the Noldor, Kings of Sindar, Kings of Numenor, Kings of Arnor and Gondor, Kings of Rohan, Kings of Moria...

And I know for a fact that Dior lost two sons, literally, in the woods. Now his descendants were

- Elwing
- Elrond & Elros

If we go through Elrond line, then we have

- Elladan and Elrohir, who have no recorded children.
- Arwen, who has one son, which still isn't enough for six steps.

If we go by Elros, we have

- Vardamir
- Amandil
- Elendil
- Meneldur, who only had one son. So that line of thinking is wrong.

Urwen 05-12-2020 06:21 AM

Okay, I've ruled out Kings of Noldor (because there aren't six steps between them), Kings of Moria (because only few of those had multiple sons) and Kings of Numenor (because of those who had two sons, their sons didn't die in war).

And since you said no to Kings of Gondor and Arnor, this leaves Kings of Rohan.

Huinesoron 05-12-2020 08:25 AM

I will accept process of elimination as a valid method. Correct, they ruled in Rohan.

Specifically, Helm Hammerhand lost his sons Haleth and Hama in the Long Winter; four more kings ruled Rohan (not counting Wulf the Usurper), and then King Folca's twin sons Folcred and Fastred were slain defending the crossings of Poros against the Haradrim. So six kings in all, counting both of them.

Over to you!

hS

Urwen 04-21-2021 07:52 AM

I forgot about this

Okay, so which married couples are also blood-related?

(And yes, the Celeborn/Galadriel thing inspired me...)

Galadriel55 04-21-2021 04:38 PM

...How much will you hate me for this answer?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 730672)
Okay, so which married couples are also blood-related?

Turin and Nienor. :smokin:

Urwen 04-21-2021 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 730777)
...How much will you hate me for this answer?...

Turin and Nienor. :smokin:

Well, yea, but they aren't the only ones...

Huinesoron 04-22-2021 02:19 PM

Ooh! Aragorn and Arwen. :D Arvedui and Firiel are even closer, they're both descendants of Elendil.

For relatively close blood-ties, Dior and Nimloth share an (unnamed) set of great-grandparents. I guess Elrond and Celebrian are related, too - Nimloth is Elrond's grandmother, and Celebrian's first cousin. Galadriel and Celeborn you mentioned - their grandparents are siblings (Olwe and Elmo).

Barahir and Emeldir are both fifth-generation descendents of Beor; theyr're the only example I can find among the Edain, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were others.

Sam and Rosie are both four generations down from Holman the Greenhanded, and it looks like their siblings Marigold and Tolman (respectively) got married as well. Merry's wife Estella Bolger is, like him, a great-great-grandchild of the Old Took.

And... crikey. It's a bit hard to trace, but Frodo's parents Drogo and Primula were both great-grandchildren of Gundahar Bolger and Dina Diggle.

... and of course, Tar-Miriel and Pharazon are first cousins, aren't they? I bet that's the closest (other than Nathan and Nina or whatever their names are).

hS

Urwen 04-22-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 730853)
Ooh! Aragorn and Arwen. :D Arvedui and Firiel are even closer, they're both descendants of Elendil.

For relatively close blood-ties, Dior and Nimloth share an (unnamed) set of great-grandparents. I guess Elrond and Celebrian are related, too - Nimloth is Elrond's grandmother, and Celebrian's first cousin. Galadriel and Celeborn you mentioned - their grandparents are siblings (Olwe and Elmo).

Barahir and Emeldir are both fifth-generation descendents of Beor; theyr're the only example I can find among the Edain, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were others.

Sam and Rosie are both four generations down from Holman the Greenhanded, and it looks like their siblings Marigold and Tolman (respectively) got married as well. Merry's wife Estella Bolger is, like him, a great-great-grandchild of the Old Took.

And... crikey. It's a bit hard to trace, but Frodo's parents Drogo and Primula were both great-grandchildren of Gundahar Bolger and Dina Diggle.

... and of course, Tar-Miriel and Pharazon are first cousins, aren't they? I bet that's the closest (other than Nathan and Nina or whatever their names are).

hS

Nathan and Nina? Never heard of those...

Huinesoron 04-22-2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 730855)
Nathan and Nina? Never heard of those...

Nathan and Nina, Neithan and Niniel, same difference. You already said them though.

hS

Urwen 04-22-2021 02:39 PM

Well then, you're up.

Huinesoron 04-22-2021 02:46 PM

So which one(s) were you thinking of?

Um... name the one unambiguously evil parent/child family.
hS

Galadriel55 04-22-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 730858)
Um... name the one unambiguously evil parent/child family.

Umm... Ungoliant and Shelob? :D

Huinesoron 04-22-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galadriel55 (Post 730859)
Umm... Ungoliant and Shelob? :D

Name the other unambigously blah blah you know the question.

(Can't believe I missed them.)

Oh stars and water, I've just thought of a third... fine, get three and I'll hand it over. :D

hS

Urwen 04-22-2021 02:56 PM

Draugluin and Carcharoth.

(Also Eol and Morleg, if you wanna count them as 'evil')

Urwen 04-22-2021 02:58 PM

Also Ar-Gimilzor and Phary, as well as other Numerorean father-son duos after the Rebellion

Galadriel55 04-22-2021 02:59 PM

Draugluin and Carcharoth, though I can't remember if they are actually a father/son pair or just "forefather"/descendant.

Edit: crossed with Urwen with the same idea.

Huinesoron 04-22-2021 03:04 PM

Draugluin and Carcharoth was my third; I think Draugluin is his 'sire' somewhere. But:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 730861)
(Also Eol and Morleg, if you wanna count them as 'evil')

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urwen (Post 730862)
Also Ar-Gimilzor and Phary, as well as other Numerorean father-son duos after the Rebellion

Neither of those are unambiguously evil. Pharazon comes closest, with the human-sacrifice thing, but his dad was just a product of his times.

Tie breaker? You've not found the father/son pair I was, er... originally thinking of.

hS