The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Sound of Middle-earth -> reading from LotR (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=16377)

Pitchwife 11-20-2011 08:25 AM

So, after yesterday's profound & exhaustive discussion of meat, cement and other vegetables, some actual reading tonight?

Oddwen 11-20-2011 10:53 PM

On the 4th and 5th of Dhmheieaghember I'll have time earlier in the day, so we can have reasonable times for everyone.

Oddwen 11-30-2011 09:30 AM

3rd and 4th for me, not 4th and 5th.

Would anyone like to do some reading this weekend?

Pitchwife 11-30-2011 02:10 PM

Sure. (Or rather, sschouürrhe.)

Aganzir 12-01-2011 09:28 AM

I'll try to be online!

Nogrod 12-01-2011 10:08 AM

I just might be able to give this a try come the weekend... if that is okay?

What would be the time? I can stay up later on Saturday than on Sunday (Monday morning a wake-up call about 6AM).

Pitchwife 12-01-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 664293)
I just might be able to give this a try come the weekend... if that is okay?

Impossible! This is a most exclusive club; we don't just let anybody join.[/irony]
Welcome to the madding crowd!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 664293)
What would be the time? I can stay up later on Saturday than on Sunday (Monday morning a wake-up call about 6AM).

We usually start sometime after 8pm (though it can get later till everybody's assembled), and it's not unusual for people to join late, or drop out early and come back later (or not); the end is pretty much open (and often not before people have talked themselves into an ear- & throatache).

Oddwen 12-01-2011 11:40 AM

Jaiuoij!

We're all mad here! :D (We're also meat here)

I'm available earlier on Saturday, until about 4 pm MST (1 a.m. Finntime, midnight Pitch&Legatetime, 11 p.m. Teatime), beginning as early as anyone wants. On Sunday I can chat early but maybe not read.

Pitchwife 12-01-2011 02:52 PM

Ai ai, I just remembered I'm at a birthday party tomorrow.:confused: But I'd be available on Sunday, and time would be no concern as I'm working late on Monday.

Nogrod 12-01-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife (Post 664309)
Ai ai, I just remembered I'm at a birthday party tomorrow.:confused: But I'd be available on Sunday, and time would be no concern as I'm working late on Monday.

So you have a party on Friday and are available only on Sunday? Hmm... must be quite a party. :D

Pitchwife 12-01-2011 03:44 PM

Dang, I meant a party on Saturday, of course. Wishful thinking today was Friday already...:o

Aganzir 12-01-2011 04:34 PM

You guys make me laugh. :D

If we're doing a reading, what are we going to read? Suggestions? What were you supposed to read last time?

Pitchwife 12-01-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 664315)
What were you supposed to read last time?

Meat.

OK, what happened in LotR in early December? Nothing (Fellowship still at Rivendell), except lots of hanging around in the Hall of Fire, Elves singing, ladidadida. And in TH? I guess they were on the way back or some such. Not much action either. So I guess anything's possible, depending on how many people we get together.

Blargh. Trying hard to look helpful without being helpful. Clearly a wolf.
++Pitch

Aganzir 12-01-2011 05:42 PM

Aww, poor Pitch! ;) :p

Now that we have both Pitch and Nog on board, would it be presumptuous of me to suggest we read some Tom Bombadil stuff? ;) Or have you read it before? Or are there enough roles?

Pitchwife 12-01-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 664323)
Aww, poor Pitch!

Don't remind me!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 664323)
Now that we have both Pitch and Nog on board, would it be presumptuous of me to suggest we read some Tom Bombadil stuff? Or have you read it before? Or are there enough roles?

We did indeed read The Old Forest/In the House of Tom Bombadil in the unforgettable Night of the Kazoo (q.v. above). We could read Fog on the Barrow Downs, I think that was discussed at one time but never actually done.

Narrator
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin
Bombadil
BarryWight
7 roles.

Rather hefty for the amount of people we tend to have participating these days, but the Barrow-wight actually has only a few lines of poetry and could do another role as well, and someone could probably do two of the hobbits or some such.

I'd like to hear Nog as Bombadil for a change, I think he's the better singer.

Speaking of you, Nog, if we do an actual reading again this time, would you by any chance have the tech wizardry to record it?

Aganzir 12-01-2011 06:09 PM

If I'm there, I want to be the Barrow-Wight! Because, you know, I'm drawn to everything evil.

And Pitch you don't really want me to play in Boro's WW now do you (I'm trying to weigh whether I have enough time or not)? ;)

Pitchwife 12-01-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 664327)
And Pitch you don't really want me to play in Boro's WW now do you (I'm trying to weigh whether I have enough time or not)? ;)

Nonsense! Of course I do! Pretty please?
(Although if you don't I'll forgive you as long as you promise to play in mine.)

EDIT: By all means go for the Barrow-wight! I can hear that poem in your voice, it sounds awsome.

Nogrod 12-02-2011 06:26 PM

Well, you're offering me quite a challenge... singing Tom and being a tech-wizard.

Hmm... well, if we are doing the Barrow Downs scene, I can give Tom a try, but I can't promise anything for the recording stuff (I can't record anything online as such as I need to hear things myself, but I'll see if I could put up some monitoring stuff to overcome that).

Anyone knowing Skype better than me (which isn't a lot) having an idea if Skype calls can be recorded from the program itself?

Anyway. How many are we going to be? Oddwen, Aganzir, Pitchwife & me?

Now I know Legate has come to Finland today, so which would be the odds to get him + Lommy & Greenie to join if this would take place on Sunday evening? I can ask them - and you Aganzir should do it as well...

With that much more people around we might consider some scene with more characters...

Estelyn Telcontar 12-03-2011 05:54 AM

I am very tempted to make time for this reading! You all know I love reading aloud and I'd be delighted to "meet" all of you again virtually. Is this now planned for Sunday? Approximately when (CET)? And I'll need someone to help me if I don't find my way to the Skype meeting place...

Oddwen 12-03-2011 11:50 AM

Grr, to Mordor with schedule changes without warning. I won't be able to chat tomorrow, but I'll be on, if distracted by cooking, from now until I pass out from chocolate consumption or sleep.

Pitchwife 12-03-2011 05:37 PM

:confused: for there being no Oddwen tomorrow. (I got home from the party half an hour ago and may hang around for an hour or so, if you're still interested in a little chat.)

On the other hand, :D for the chance of an Esty tomorrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 664362)
Is this now planned for Sunday? Approximately when (CET)?

Apparently. As to when, these things usually just tend to happen sooner or later in the European evening, but with Nog having to get up early on Monday, we might actually try to agree on a time in advance - how does, say, 8pm Esty's and my time sound to you all? Or earlier, since you Finns are an hour or two ahead of us?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar (Post 664362)
And I'll need someone to help me if I don't find my way to the Skype meeting place...

Just click on the Skype icon under my avvie, send me a text message and I'll add you.

Nogrod 12-04-2011 06:33 AM

Well... I may need to withdraw this evening's reading. I'm not being definitive as yet, but I hold it more probable than not. :(

I only realised yesterday evening that I have a way too many essays to read for the next week (and I have full workdays every day & theatre- and choir performances etc. almost every evening) so I may be in some trouble actually - especially as Legate, Lommy & Greenie are coming to my place the next weekend and I'd hate to read essays during their visit... (the deadline is next Monday)

But if you are doing it somewhat later in the evening, like 8 or 9 PM GMT (Finland is in +2 hours I think), I might be able to join if a) I have managed to read enough essays before then, or b) if I'm tired enough just not to read any more of the essays.

But if that later time is bad for you others, don't wait for me as it is fairly possible I will not have a chance to join anyway.

Aganzir 12-04-2011 06:36 AM

That's 9 Finntime, it should be doable. I have an enormous amount of schoolwork to catch up with and a demonstration to organise for Saturday, but all that means is that I should stop procrastinating now. ;)

Pitchwife 12-04-2011 10:05 AM

Just came home from a lengthy walk and need ~2h to cook our dinner, but after that I'll be available for the rest of the evening, whenever it suits you all.

Estelyn Telcontar 12-04-2011 01:05 PM

I'm online and on Skype - anyone lurking please let me know so I can find you!

Pitchwife 12-04-2011 01:08 PM

Agan and I are online now. Get on board!

Aganzir 12-04-2011 01:08 PM

My username is scavengerlikeme - add me or Pitch (whose name is on his profile) or preferably both! :)

Aganzir 12-04-2011 02:51 PM

We just read Fog on the Barrow-Downs. Esty narrated, Pitch did Frodo & Tom Bombadil and I was the Barrow-Wight and the rest of the hobbits. As a special guest, we had The Barrow-Wight himself, who only listened this time though. It was great fun.

Now sally is here as well and we might read another chapter. If someone else is around, they're welcome to join!

Estelyn Telcontar 12-04-2011 03:57 PM

The three of us read another passage, this time with Sally as audience - another Downer who dares to join in without having a book at hand! We shall have to charge admission!

We read the second half of "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol", with Pitch narrating, Agan speaking Frodo, and Esty taking on the task of two such diverse roles as Sam and Gollum. Yess, Preciousss!

Aganzir 12-04-2011 03:58 PM

Esty makes a fantastic Gollum. Who would have believed?

Pitchwife 12-05-2011 01:54 PM

So she does. I felt she was a particularly fitting choice for this chapter, where Gollum is on the brink of redemption - her performance brought out Sméagol's loneliness, his longing for company and his budding affection for Frodo as well as Gollum's hidden sneaky-creepiness very well.

Agan was very convincing too, both as a scary Barrow-wight and as exhausted, ring-weary Frodo offset nicely by Esty's happy-go-lucky Sam.

I very much enjoyed talking to both of you again - it's been a while since Finlandmoot. And having The Barrow-Wight (Himself) join our conversation spontaneously and be our audience was a unique experience - a bit like having the Prime Minister for dinner and a bit like sighting Nessie;). I'd like to testify that he isn't anywhere near as scary as his Middle-earth namesake, but very friendly and pleasant to talk to. Thanks for attending, Mr. Wight, and for the kind words you found for our little project!

Estelyn Telcontar 12-05-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aganzir (Post 664422)
Esty makes a fantastic Gollum. Who would have believed?

I guess you just bring out the wurst in me! :Merisu:

Eönwë 12-06-2011 11:55 AM

I can't believe I missed this!

Eönwë 12-16-2011 01:07 PM

Any chance of another in the near future?

Oddwen 12-16-2011 07:55 PM

Annnnnyone gonna be around Skype on Sunday morning/ early afternoon?

Aganzir 12-17-2011 12:50 PM

Alas, Sunday night (from around 4 PM GMT on) is beyond my limits. However I agree with Eönwë we should have a new reading soon!

TheGreatElvenWarrior 01-07-2012 06:47 PM

I'd like to Skype again now that I'm back from California. When would be convenient for everybody?

Oddwen 01-07-2012 07:01 PM

I'm available the weekend of the 28th and 29th unless I'm not.

Eönwë 01-08-2012 07:02 AM

It's exam season, so when I'm not working I'm sure I'll have a few hours here and there. Most weekeds should this month should be ok. But not next week.

Oddwen 01-25-2012 10:54 PM

Would anyone like to do some reading or participate in general silliness on the 28th and 29th? I have a rare weekend off and can be on at any time.