The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tol-in-Gaurhoth CXV: On the Borders of Mirkwood - Dead Thread (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=19402)

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 727173)
Ha! Didn't realise that. Nice catch.

Certainly nothing to feel sorry for.

Otherwise - watching the Living Thread for the last, what, over an hour, I haven't had so much fun in ages. It looks like out of a stageplay of something by Franz Kafka.

This is going to be a little Other-Fandom as a comment, but it's like watching the Jedi bumble their way through the Clone Wars knowing what Palpatine's up to--they keep coming SO close!

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:12 PM

Also, empowering Rikae means Lommy is a wolf. If Rikae votes for Mac or Kath, I'm comfortable with Mediumizing them or Pitch (points to Mac). Definitely not going to empower Lommy (points to Kath). :o

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macalaure (Post 727178)
Shasta very much. Sally maybe. Brinn I find unlikely. I think you're too quick to discard Pitch as a cobbler.

I'm reading this as "hey pack, let's all vote Shasta."

Blind Guardian 06-11-2020 02:17 PM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 727119)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Guardian (Post 726907)
Some day I want to mod a game. :)

Well, once this is over...?

The rules say mods have to have seven games under their belt and I don't think I do. However, modding would be significantly easier than playing.

But if I do mod I think I'd make a rule that the living can't communicate with the dead. :rolleyes:

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:19 PM

Shasta voted Mac. Every single innocent has to follow now, or the wolves can swing it.

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loslote (Post 727184)
Shasta voted Mac. Every single innocent has to follow now, or the wolves can swing it.

On the plus side, if things come down to a tie, we can empower Shasta and the Mac-waggon win the tiebreaker.

So even if all the Wolves vote together, we only need one vote for Mac (and for the cobbler/other innocent to split their votes elsewhere).

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:20 PM

I think we need to tell the living that Lommy is a wolf. They don't seem to be suspecting her, like, at all. So if Rikae votes for Mac, I think we need to Mediumize them.

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin (Post 727188)
I wasn't criticizing anything, I was giving a warning.

COME ON, SHASTA! (/uppercase)

Huinesoron 06-11-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta
Okay, Lommy/Mac for sure. Who's the third, do we think? Kath?

YES!

Also, we know from Greenie that neither Shasta, Nilp, or Rikae is the Ranger. If the innocents had only spotted her post, a Ranger reveal would net us 4 known innocents.

hS

A Little Green 06-11-2020 02:32 PM

WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY DOING???????????????

Like - they were handed a dead wolf and a dead Seer in one go, and instead of trying to figure out who the remaining wolves (or at least previously dreamed innocents) are, they spend the entire Day debating increasingly convoluted ways to communicate with us? Seriously the wolves deserve to win this one. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lottie
I think we need to tell the living that Lommy is a wolf. They don't seem to be suspecting her, like, at all. So if Rikae votes for Mac, I think we need to Mediumize them.

This makes sense. Which list are we using again? Rikae's? I lost track :D Basically I'm happy mediumising anyone who votes for Mac, extra points if it makes them look at Lommy too.

Quote:

If the Ranger is Shasta or Pitch, and they direct the innocents to vote for Mac or Kath, I'd be all for it.

Well we know it isn't Shasta (sadly, since a Ranger reveal might have made the rest of them listen to him :rolleyes:).

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-11-2020 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Little Green (Post 727198)
WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY DOING???????????????

Like - they were handed a dead wolf and a dead Seer in one go, and instead of trying to figure out who the remaining wolves (or at least previously dreamed innocents) are, they spend the entire Day debating increasingly convoluted ways to communicate with us? Seriously the wolves deserve to win this one. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that one :Merisu:

Huinesoron 06-11-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta
Rikae - I didn't go after you, I asked you a question. You answered. I was satisfied with that answer, so I moved on.

I tried that. Didn't work. :p

hS

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-11-2020 02:37 PM

“The right understanding of any matter and a misunderstanding of the same matter do not wholly exclude each other.”
― Franz Kafka, The Trial

Or how about this, borderline rude, but:

“They're talking about things of which they don't have the slightest understanding, anyway. It's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves.”
― Franz Kafka, The Trial

Who would have known Kafka had such a profound knowledge of Werewolf? One could make an entire game just on these quotes! (Perhaps that's what you should do with the Ghost, Form! A pre-selected bunch of lines from some classics, and see what they can do.)

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin (Post 727191)
Okay, Lommy/Mac for sure. Who's the third, do we think? Kath?

YESSSSSS GO Shasta GO!!!!!!

Huinesoron 06-11-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 727207)
(Perhaps that's what you should do with the Ghost, Form! A pre-selected bunch of lines from some classics, and see what they can do.)

You can only post the first sentence of any chapter of any work written by J.R.R. Tolkien. :D

hS

Boromir88 06-11-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 727207)
Who would have known Kafka had such a profound knowledge of Werewolf? One could make an entire game just on these quotes! (Perhaps that's what you should do with the Ghost, Form! A pre-selected bunch of lines from some classics, and see what they can do.)

Seconded. :D

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:40 PM

YES Sally voted with Shasta!!!

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-11-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 727209)
You can only post the first sentence of any chapter of any work written by J.R.R. Tolkien. :D

hS

Actually perfect. *is tempted to go and start browsing to see whether there are any good ones, or some "overpowered" ones*

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 (Post 727211)
Well, I trust Shasta. Not necessarily his judgement (on everyone at least), but I agree with him here, so let's put my money where my big ol' mouth is. The odds of Mac being a wolf outweigh my current suspicions of Kath.

++Mac

x'd since my last

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(x-posted with a few)

++Shastanis Althedruin for the extra vote?

A Little Green 06-11-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

YES Sally voted with Shasta!!!

THIS is why I dreamed Shasta Night 1! I figured he'd make a formidable ally if I knew I could trust him from the start.

Also Form? We need that ghost game. :eek:

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:44 PM

Yeah, the Ghost Game sounds like a ton of fun. :D

And I want to wait to see if Rikae votes for Mac. If they do, Mediumizing them tells the living that Lommy is a wolf. If they don't, Shasta deserves it for single handedly dragging the vote Mac's way. :D

Legate of Amon Lanc 06-11-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 727215)
Actually perfect. *is tempted to go and start browsing to see whether there are any good ones, or some "overpowered" ones*

I realised immediately that majority are about someone walking, riding, going or arriving somewhere. But not necessarily bad. There are other interesting ones, too. And many can be quite lengthy, which is fun.

For the current situation, I would propose:

"Pippin lay in a dark and troubled dream: it seemed that he could hear his own small voice echoing in black tunnels, calling Frodo, Frodo!"

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Little Green (Post 727219)
THIS is why I dreamed Shasta Night 1! I figured he'd make a formidable ally if I knew I could trust him from the start.

Also Form? We need that ghost game. :eek:

This is the summer for me to fall back into WW...

We'll probably need several drafts of rule rewrites.

(For one thing, I think paragraphs better than sentences, because then you're a lot more vague--"what part of this paragraph doe the ghost mean!!" is better than being able to narrow things down more.)

It would be quite strange after all these years to make the game MORE Tolkien-related.

Nogrod 06-11-2020 02:46 PM

Let's see how this develops, but Shasta could be nice empowerment (even it increased the chances he's killed the next), regardless of any version of the lists.

BUt let's still wait and see how this plays out.

There sure looks to be the two sides now - just some mist in between the borders of both camps.

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:47 PM

Tolkien quotes are the obvious and best choice, but the one thing I LONG to say to the living right now is "Lord, what fools these mortals be." :p

Huinesoron 06-11-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc (Post 727215)

A nice 'we're doomed' one is Silm chapter 9:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Of the Flight of the Noldor
After a time a great concourse gathered about the Ring of Doom; and the Valar sat in shadow, for it was night.

And Silm 17 is good if you need to send a message about Nilp:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Of the Coming of Men into the West
When three hundred years and more were gone since the Noldor came to Beleriand, in the days of the Long Peace, Finrod Felagund lord of Nargothrond journeyed east of Sirion and went hunting with Maglor and Maedhros, sons of Fëanor.

And I feel like this one is nicely nuanced, though not terribly useful:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Of Beren and Luthien
Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death light that endures.

Edit: "You're listening to a fake!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akallabeth
It is said by the Eldar that Men came into the world in the time of the Shadow of Morgoth, and they fell swiftly under his dominion; for he sent his emissaries among them, and they listened to his evil and cunning words, and they worshipped the Darkness and yet feared it.

hS

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinlómien (Post 727234)
Sorry if I summarised it badly, what you say is how I read it. But I left Lottie and Nilp out of the summary bc they're not relevant right now.

Um, rude. :p

Formendacil 06-11-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nogrod (Post 727229)
Let's see how this develops, but Shasta could be nice empowerment (even it increased the chances he's killed the next), regardless of any version of the lists.

BUt let's still wait and see how this plays out.

There sure looks to be the two sides now - just some mist in between the borders of both camps.

Granted, I don't WANT the Wolves to go after Shasta, but wouldn't it be better if they kill an Ordo tonight instead of the Ranger? And his "that's a warning" post sure FELT like Ranger.

Through Nilp's ostensible presence into the mix and the Wolves have an actual choice to make.

I have no idea who voting for Shasta signified on the schema, though...

A Little Green 06-11-2020 02:52 PM

I think this would be rather fitting just about now -

In the meanwhile, the dwarves sat in darkness, and utter silence fell about them.

...Except I'd almost prefer the utter silence to some of the utter insanity on that thread :rolleyes:

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:53 PM

I think Rikae is the Cobbler, and I think Lommy is cozying up to Brinn to try to persuade her to vote their way. We need Pitch and Nilp to vote Mac asap, and then our empowerment will force a tie that we win. Tense deadline.......

Blind Guardian 06-11-2020 02:53 PM

++Shasta

I have to go and I won't be back before the DL. I want to vote for someone (as opposed to silence, which I think is bad!) and agreed that Mac is furry.

Hopefully this helps and doesn't hinder.

Huinesoron 06-11-2020 02:53 PM

Am starting to worry Rikae might be the Cobbler. I mean:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rikae
If the cobbler were smart, they would have done it and gotten Nilp lynched. Guess we don't have a very bright cobbler.

If they're not the Cobbler, then they just insulted the Cobbler directly, which seems a bit beyond how the game is normally played? This just feels like a poke at themselves more than at an unknown other player.

hS

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:54 PM

Yes, I think Rikae is the Cobbler and I think they know who the wolves are.

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:55 PM

And yes, for those who have to vote for Medium early, Shasta is a good choice - but remember that the vote locks in the second we hit four votes!!

A Little Green 06-11-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitchwife
For the Dead:
+-Macalaure

Go Pitch! Don't let us down now :eek:

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:56 PM

WHERE is Nilp? If Brinn and Rikae vote with the wolves, we NEED him.

Nogrod 06-11-2020 02:56 PM

So we're waiting for the wolves to open the game on their behalf.

Interesting to see, whether they have patience to wait for an innocent to misfire first (Rikae looks likely candidate to make a bad decision at the moment) and how hungrily they dare to jump on it - especially if Mac starts gathering more votes (which is quite possible indeed).

That of course presupposing our theories are correct.

Loslote 06-11-2020 02:58 PM

The wolves will have to vote soon, if only to indicate to their cobbler who to vote. One of Brinn and Rikae is a misled innocent. We either need the innocent to figure out what's going on, waste their vote, or Nilp to show up.

Nogrod 06-11-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huinesoron (Post 727247)
If they're not the Cobbler, then they just insulted the Cobbler directly, which seems a bit beyond how the game is normally played? This just feels like a poke at themselves more than at an unknown other player.

That's actually a good catch.

A Little Green 06-11-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

And yes, for those who have to vote for Medium early, Shasta is a good choice - but remember that the vote locks in the second we hit four votes!!

I might have to since it's already midnight and I'm not sure I'll still be functional in an hour, though rate this is going I'm not sure if I can sleep :D So I'll hang around for a little longer and if I have to go I'll vote to empower Shasta.