The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Taters to Taters (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=18060)

Boromir88 09-16-2012 03:34 PM

And in a decision that seemed to come down between sally's and phantom's choices...sally achieves her goal of tying the phantom. :p

That's it, thanks to you all for participating and making it fun for me to "moderate." I think it went very well and I hope everyone had fun with it too. :D

satansaloser2005 09-16-2012 03:38 PM

My life is complete. I'm glad I saved that tater for last after all. ^_^

Legate of Amon Lanc 09-17-2012 03:55 AM

I've been following this for the last couple of rounds, quite fun. By any chance, are there plans for the future to repeat this? :)

Rune Son of Bjarne 09-17-2012 04:28 AM

What Legate said...

Boromir88 09-17-2012 06:43 AM

Yes, that was the idea is to have as many repeats as long as they were desired. :D

Some of the days I was disappointed with the lack of arguments during judging, but I know several people were getting RL smush towards the end. And it's not like WW where you need everyone to post so you can get 'evidence' to go on. So, I still wouldn't have any sort of requirement to argue/campaign for the choices. I just think it can be an interesting dynamic, since in the RL game the judge makes a rather immediate choice and here, you'll get a good 24 hours to deliberate.

I wouldn't mind running it again, because it's actually very amusing being behind the scenes and seeing what everyone's choices are. I also wouldn't oppose passing on all the stuff if I'm unable to do it and someone else does. It would basically be a spreadsheet of all the red taters, and then a list of the players with their current hand. It's not very time consuming to run with all the prep work done.

So, short answer is, sure. I'm game. :D

Nogrod 09-17-2012 07:22 AM

I think I share Boro's feeling...

It was fun to play, but for me clearly, the most fun rounds were those when people actually made different suggestions as to why pick this or that tater and others argued against them giving their own.

Also, I know I was one of the loudest advocats to suggest we should tighten the pace of the game from the original 24 hours picking your choice + 24 hours debate / judge working into the adopted two rounds going on at the same time -game. It would be interesting to hear from others who played, did they feel the pace was too quick aka. would they have posted more if it had been played in a more leasurely pace?

But like Boro said, as this is not a ww-game not participating in the discussion on one day or another isn't such a crucial matter. Although I think it would be merrier if more paople voiced their minds - or tried to persuade the judge more - as that would generate more discussion and thus fun.

That said, I'm naturally game for another round. :)

Congrats Sally! I knew I made a decent pick there in the end... :cool:

And congrats also to Gwath who seemed to have compensated his second place in the Arda Cup phantasy tournament by winning this one...

And thanks to the phantom for a very consistent posting - and everyone for a nice game!

And last but not least: thanks Boro for coming up and organising this!

Loslote 09-17-2012 07:56 AM

Thanks for running this, Boro. I had a lot of fun. The game was very well thought out and executed. :D I do hope we can play again. This is about as much time commitment I can make at this point, so it's nice to still be able to be active in something. ;)

Gwathagor 09-17-2012 11:58 AM

You WOULD remind me of my dismal failure in the Arda Cup, wouldn't you, Nogrod? :rolleyes: ;)

Nogrod 09-17-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwathagor (Post 674626)
You WOULD remind me of my dismal failure in the Arda Cup, wouldn't you, Nogrod? :rolleyes: ;)

Haha! Maybe I would, maybe I wouldn't... *ahem*

But it's only fair you don't win each and every game that is played on the BD, don't you think so? :)

MCRmyGirl4eva 09-17-2012 12:34 PM

This was fun, but I'm not going to sign up for the next round. It's not really all that fair for me to play when I can't make the deadlines, and so, my slot is now available to any who wish to play. Might pop in to laugh at this, though! (Actually, I'm definately going to laugh at this when I can.)

Galadriel55 09-17-2012 05:29 PM

Nice game, everyone! Thanks Boro!

I'm curious as to what taters people played for each round. I know we've shared some of that already, but I think it's even funnier to see the taters by player and not by round.

Here are mine, in no particular order:

Radiant - Two Trees of Valinor
Spicy - Orc-draught
Creative - Formenos
Bold - Osse
Neglected - Halls of Mandos
Rank - Aule
Honest - Huan (well, they both start with H...)
Deadly - Gaffer Gamgee
Cuddly - Watcher in the Water
Extraordinary - Lembas (as I told Boro in a PM, I was hoping I could pair this one up with "doomed". It was so funny thinking about how doomed it would be if the baker forgot s/he put it in the oven!)
Violent - Ar-Pharazon
Peaceful - Minas Tirith
Charming - Melian
Ridiculous - Ban of the Valar
Weary - Maedhros
Chewy - Burrahobbit
Dangerous - Elendil
Attractive - Elwing (Elwing and Earendil...haha!)
Conceited - Maeglin
Dashing - the Petty-dwarves (three were certainly dashing through the forest too near Turin's men!)
Cranky - Osgiliath (think of all that abandoned furniture going "crank! crank!" with every gust of wind... this is so ridiculous it makes me laugh the most)

I think I'll be ok with schedules if I sign up for the next round.

the phantom 09-17-2012 05:59 PM

I played a couple good ones, but several times I tossed ones just to get something better. Unfortunately I never got what I considered a golden chance to play one of my favorite cards (Nirnaeth Arnoediad), so I still had it in my hand.

I would've loved for Longbeards to be picked for Spicy or Forlong the Fat for Attractive as jokes, or for a serious pick the Silmarils for dangerous, but other than that I wasn't really in the running on the others and generally didn't bother to recommend my own submissions once I gained three (though Shadowfax was justifiably bold, but next to Turin I didn't feel the need to push him).

TheGreatElvenWarrior 09-17-2012 06:24 PM

When/if you play another game, I'd like to join. This sounds fun, and I love Apples to Apples. :D

Oddwen 09-17-2012 09:55 PM

This was a great idea Boro, and fun to watch! I'd love to sign up for the next game.

Meneltarmacil 09-18-2012 06:41 AM

I'd certainly be up for playing again.

Boromir88 09-18-2012 09:27 AM

I should be able to start a new one around the end of September (like 29th-30th). Glad to see the several new faces too. :D

A Little Green 09-18-2012 09:51 AM

Count me in for the next one, too, please! Sorry I missed this one, things happened.